Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
I am off to Rhodes on Wednesday and are just taking sterling to change over there.
We have been told that Sophias Travel just over the road from the Sun Palace hotel gives a good rate of exchange.
We also have a Nationwide Flex card and some Euros left from a holiday a couple of years ago.
I have read on TA that yesterday the rate was 1.14 minus the 2% commission so we will just wait and see what Sophias Travel offer.
more or less everywhere here in 'raki charges 2% comission on exchange and the rate goes up and down daily so i wont quote today's as it will be different,in general though i've always found the 2% comission cancels out the slightly better rate and you end up getting the exact same overall as you would in the UK.

don't risk taking your cash to rhodes town,most of the kiosks there charge silly money,i've seen most advertising 4% but some can be higher,or 4% plus a 'service charge' of a few euros
We are used to changing money in shops in Turkey which give the best rate with no commission so if everyone charges commission in Rhodes we may as well take our Nationwide Flex card.
Even with the charges it seems that it will be the better rate?
i'll be honest i have no idea how the cards you mention work,not used an english bank card for years
They were free of charges until last November and they we always got the bank rate from the ATMs.
Since they introduced the charges we havent used it so will have to work out which rate is best.
As stated in a new post above the Euro reached a decent price yesterday. Started the week on 1.09 and ended on 1.12.... 200 euro's for about £178.

TC too gave me a rate of 1.12 to the £. That was higher than my usual Intercash branch which traditionally boasts the best rate for paying cash and collecting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.