Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Thanks Helen,

We are really keen on Zante and the nightclubs don't bother us as long as we are out of audible reach of any what we call "boomska" music. That booming bass can drive you crazy.

Having lived in New Zealand for 4 years our experience was that it is a beautiful country spoilt by youth with a loud and aggressive attitude. Our house used to shake at 2 am most nights when some of the kids would be driving past on their way home from parties ( lack of public transport) and their music up full blast with windows open playing rap music. Ahhhgggg You get it here in the UK too but there are places you can go to avoid it.
Southern Crete, Myrthos, Aghia Galini, Plakias are all reasonably quiet and laid back..............if you want real peace & quiet then Kefalos on the southern part of the island of Kos, no Brit lager louts there. Kalymnos is lovely too and if you do choose Crete visit Elafonnissi and Elounda truly beautiful.
Been both tenerife and lanzarote, prefer lanzarote, bit quiter, and not much but a bit cheeper to go and stay there.

Will be going there in december ( house selling and moving dependant )

But just came back from Kos 5 days ago ( as couldnt afford cyprus this year )

had a look a few days ago at hotel prices in kos and lanzarote for next month , to get an idea on prices for next year, and if moneys still tight, it will be the canaries over a greek island.

reasons...

Kos was looking very tired, alot of empty shops / bars.
Russians ( bring back the Germans! )
The Airport! no investment.
And sillyly, thought it might be like the greek cypriot stills and life, but not.

Tho we did have a few nice meals out, and the hotel wernt too bad ( tho the russians put me off ever going back )
The latest:
We went to a local travel agent who seem to predominately promote Thomas Cook holidays - we are looking for a 14 day hol and asked about Zante. It's the two of plus our wee lad of 8.

We were offered Zante - Alykanas at £1740 Crete at £2100 and Cyprus - Polis at
£ 1700. Those are all in - bottom line figures. Also flying out of Scotland.

I am a tad concerned that they are trying to sell us what they want us to buy rather than what WE want.

We really want to go to a traditional place not a place with concrete blocks that have no Greek resemblance. If it wasn't for the steep hills I really think Santorini would be my first choice. That is the kind of vibe I am thinking - that for me is more traditional Greece.
Kefalonia is nice if you want tradition mixed with a bit of the familiar,but the prices you just posted for 2 adults and only one child seem excessive,maybe about right for AI but that would be a shame on a greek island as the food and atmosphere in the bars are a major part of the place!

If you're set on Zante then i'd suggest Alykes,went there in late may this year for a week and it's very nice,lovely sandy beach(locals and visitors say its the best on zante,i have to agree) with very shallow water so good for the kids,loads of really good eating places,good atmosphere in the bars that draws a variety of age groups but without the lairy atmosphere of somewhere like laganas,has the feel of a traditional village but in resort form. don't know what sort of accomodation you're after but we stayed in a place called the hotel maria(review on here in the zante hotels section),very quiet location but not remote(10 min walk to main centre),lovely pool,really nice family that own and run it,nice rooms with aircon,all double glazed,fairly modern,VERY well maintained,clean,decent bathrooms etc but featured in the thomson 'just' brochure so was a very good price. i've lived in greece for a good few years and so has 2 others that went and we all said what a good standard everything was both in hotel and resort.
Would definately choose greece found tenerife and lanzarote to be hawker and time share hell!! No laid back atmosphere just stress!! love greece,corfu,zante and kos. The admirals, captains and comodore apartments and hotels in argassi are now very much catering for the polish and czechs, but the resort is fab for relaxing with great resturants and a variety of bars. pelaconstrata in corfu is a beautiful picturess place that my husband and 2 boys who were 8 and 10 loved again a small area but with lovely coves and resturants. the area saint george the south of corfu is a lovely area to with a massive white beach with sand dunes. check then out and see what you think :cheers
you don't say which airport you are departing from or the dates and board basis,

flying ex Glasgow around the 10th august 2 weeks self catering at the Sandy Marie apartments Tsilivi should be around £1350 flight and hotel taxi transfer around 12 euro each way

wizard
Thanks again for all your replies,

To respond / expand Wizard "¦"¦"¦"¦"¦.

The prices I put up were out of Glasgow & Edinburgh but really it doesn't matter as long as it is Scotland airport.

We are looking at the last week in July and the first week in August

The board for the prices we were quoted were for self catering and I must admit that I think the are steep because 1 was a studio and the other was a 1 bedroom but from the pictures looked tiny and very basic.

Not looking for posh but expect value for money

Defiantly will look into hotel Maria as that sounds like what we are looking for.

Thanks again and I will post back on here after our holiday in hope that we can assist others as you guys have assisted us.

Many thanks
Just tried Fleetway Travel and they are coming in at £2787 - nearly £1000 more than what we were quoted on Saturday and that is a Fly Thompson icon on the website I'm thinking that perhaps Thomas Cook is a good deal - may I should go & book for the 14 nights - Polic / Cyprus at £1700
Looking at Bougainvillea Apartments in Polis - Cyprus West

Anybody got an experience?

Many thanks
  • Edited by Fiona 2018-07-26 08:26:16
Hi TAandG ... you might be best moving across to our Cyprus forum, please click here. The new topic which you started about Polis here in the Greece forum has been moved across for you.

David :wave
I stayed at this hotel it's lovely. Not far from the beach and good selection of bars and restaurants with a chilled atmosphere
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.