Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I'm sure you'll have lots of positive replies marlou but since I know you're researching lots of different areas I'm just going to give you my personal opinion. Although I can't pinpoint what I didn't like about Menorca, it's the least favourite of the destinations I've been to. I know we chose a very quiet area (wasn't using internet for research in those days) but I just didn't think there was as much atmosphere to the island as other places I've been to.

I know many people love it and will say it's a nice place for families and children so hopefully you'll get some good replies.
Personally I love Menorca. It is quiet - there are no "banging" discos and nightlife usually finishes around midnight (although some bars stay open to the small hours but noise is kept to a minimum) but I think that is why I love it so much. Its so much more laid back than some of the more commercial places that you can visit.

For me, it has to be Calan Bosch. The shops, bars and restaurants are set around a horseshoe marina and the hotels are surrounding it. We stayed (and my particular favourite) in the Casas Del Lago apartments. Two floors only (so no lift but we managed and you could always ask for a ground floor apt). Immaculate grounds, a lovely pool. There wasnt much by way of entertainment when we stayed here but that may have changed. They are a stones throw from the beach (which isnt the largest beach on Menorca but it is very clean and safe), and about a 4 minute walk to the nearest restaurant and directly opposite a small supermarket. We have also stayed in the Tamariscos apartment - directly on the beach and again only a couple of floors. My sister stayed at the Roc Lago which are directly above the shops and a 4 min walk to the beach and said they were lovely as well. The area is very flat and we spent many an hour walking up to the lighthouse and back with a sleeping child ;)

If you hire a car there are many, many beautiful places to visit.

Myself and hubby love Menorca and would go every year, but now that daughter is slightly older, need to consider more lively places for her but as a baby/toddler I think its perfect.
Calan Bosch is a wonderful place to visit for couples and families alike

Going for the third time in 3 weeks and staying in the Casas Del Lago and would have to disagree about the 4 min walk it must be 1 min :rofl as it overlooks the whole Marina

Have also stayed in the Roc which also has a great view overlooking the marina

A great little beach across the road and so many lovely restaurants to choose from

How anyone cannot like this place baffles me :-) but each to their own I suppose
We did Menorca when my two were babies and it was great! i agree with the others whom have said it is a wonderful place to see and visit.

We chose it for it's shortness of flight, no blaring night life :really made a huge difference as well. We have done Cala n bosch and Cuidedella. Good luck with your choice :tup
Thanks for your reply guys. We did fancy the Casas Del Lago but the price I just got up was £1,200 for a week self catering for me, hubby and a 5 month old. That is unfortunately way out of our price range.
P.s Or is that just me as I'm used to getting late deals. Maybe it is an ok price :que
I think the Casas Del Lago is more expensive than some but that seems way over the top. A few years ago, we got £1,300 for 2 weeks and paid a lot then. The Roc Lago is nice Marlou, also the Marina Apts (which are directly opp the Casas) might be cheaper too. It isnt as fancy as the Casas and needed a "bit of an update" furniture wise, but may be an option.
I paid that for 2 weeks go on 24th June
Lou, you should get a decent place for far less considering you're going SC off peak. I wouldn't pay more than about £400 each.
Can't recommend specific apartments Marlou as we stayed in a private villa last year, but Cala Galdana is very nice. It has a large horseshoe type bay and the sea is lovely and shallow on entry. It is the beach that is photgraphed to promote Menorca as it is so beautiful.

There are enough bars, cafes, restaurants and shops to go round and three hotels that don't mind you going in for a drink and listening to their singers/entertainment.

With it's short flight, mild temperatures and no banging entertainment Menorca is ideal for young familys.

If nicJW is around she has been to Menorca a few times with her family so is a bit of an expert. I think she stayed in Cala Galdana last summer or the one before (?) in apartments, maybe you could do a search on her posts ? I am sure there are some apartments called the Caldana Gardens but can't recommend them personally. There is a bit of a hill in a certain part of the resort up past the Audax hotel, but we didnt find it a problem, but wanted to warn you just incase it's an issue if you want to walk alot. The sea front area is flat.

Doe :sun2
Many congrats to you and hubbie on the baby. :)
Thanks everyone, Menorca is definitely appealing to me. I'll keep you informed if I find something :tup
Marlou

The Roc lago is normally very cheap but good value stayed there myself
Great Location too
Hi...only just spotted your post Marlou as I've been away for a week with no laptop! As Doespmc posted I love Menorca and would highly recommend for families with little ones. Returning again for the 5th time this summer, but as I've tried a few resorts now I find it difficult which to recommend as I would most likely go to all of them again. Our first 2 visits were to Cala'n Bosch which I think is an excellent resort for a first visit as it has lots of restaurants to choose from and a lovely marina for your evening stroll. Have stayed at Tamariscos and Paradise Club which were both nice but I personally think the Paradise Club is overpriced now and if I went again I would probably try Casas del Lago as others have recommended to you. Went to Cala Galdana in 2009 and are returning this year to Galdana Gardens again. Great little resort with beautiful beach and good restaurants too. Went to Son Bou last year, Son Bou Gardens (San Jaime complex) apartments. Son bou has the longest beach on the island however access to it is limited to one entrance due to the nature reserve thats runs along the back of the beach. My least favourite - couldn't really pinpoint why, think possibly just the fact I loved Galdana so much the previous year, that said it was still a good holiday and I would go back if the price was right! If you can pick up cheap flights there are some good deals to be had with private apartments in Son Bou - you could look at Owners Direct perhaps?

As others have said Menorca is a very laid back island, no drunken rowdiness or groups of 18-30's. I disagree that it lacks atmosphere, it's just quieter than say Majorca or Ibiza as most resorts are quiet by around 11ish. I would recommend you research all the resorts as only you know what you want from your resort. Only place I personally wouldn't recommend is Cala'n Forcat, although I know a lot of people love it. This is the most lively resort, quite Brit orientated, and depending where you stay noise can go on late at night. Did stay here years ago as a 16 year old then visited again a few years ago and was shocked to see how it had changed.

Cala'n bosch is a happy meadium not too busy and not too quiet so I think a good choice for a first visit...but that said Cala Galdana is beautiful... :)
Thanks nicJW. At the moment Cala'n Bosch is looking like a real potential. Marina apartments seems within our budget with good reviews :tup Thanks for the info everyone.
Marina apartments are in an excellent location, we used to eat at the snack bar there when we stayed at Tamariscos just across the road. There is a supermarket which I think is connected to the apartments which sells lovely fresh baguettes. This was several years ago though so not sure if things have changed. Think I have read that clients from the Hotel Cala'n Bosch opposite can use the pool there now - and vice versa. Perhaps someone that's been recently can clarify this?

Not sure how you feel about hiring a car if you do end up going...but I would recommend doing so, just to get a feel for the other resorts around the island. This is what we did the first year we went with our 2 children and why we have ended up holidaying in other resorts which previously I'd worried would be too quiet.

Keep us informed with your holiday hunting.
Off to Cala N Bosch next week - probably one of the livelier places on the gorgeous island of Menorca.

For years, we've always stayed at Cala Galdana - possibly the most picturesque of the island's resorts. However, as we are taking our 4yo Nephew this time around, we wanted somewhere that appeared to have just a bit more going on for Children.

Whenever we've gone to Menorca, we've always had quite a few days (and nights) out in Cala N Bosch for a change of scenery - the harbour is breathtaking and there's a real buzz around the place. Reading this excellent forum, it certainly seems to be the 'in place' on the island at the moment.

What goes in its favour is no doubt that it's a little bigger than most resorts and enough people to create a good atmosphere - without it being 'over the top'.

I'll give some feedback when we return on the hotel and the location. We'll probably find out we are in an 18-30's hotel full of stag and hen nights, above a 24 hour disco and the tapas bars at the harbour have been replaced by McDonalds and Pizza Hut! :really

Then again, give me a decent bottle of vino tinto, a carton of Fortunas and some blazing sunshine - and I still don't think I'd complain!
CanveyIslander Essex will be well represented then as we are from Wickford and out to Bosch in 12 days

:glynis :glynis :glynis
:glynis :glynis
No doubt you are there now Tony in the blazing sunshine - and just to let you know that Essex is overcast so you timed it well!

I've written a review of the Sol Falco Hotel within the review section if anyone is interested.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Did you finally choose somewhere Marlou? The above place may just fit the bill for you.
Great review CanveyIslander. No we haven't made a decision yet, still researching. We will make a final decision after Christmas :) Thanks again to everyone for their recommendations. Once we have booked I'll let you know where we decided on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.