General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Depends on the destination. I did fly to Kenya once for a week and New York for four days but in the past anything more than six hours flying I would normally stay a minimum of two weeks sometimes up to six weeks.
. These days as I'm not travelling long haul any more I tend to have a 5-7days in spring and again in Autumn to somewhere in the med or canaries , I don't really like beach holidays so 5-7 days is enough. I often have a couple of short breaks to the alps or France during the summer months and maybe a few days in mid winter to the alps .
We try and have 2 x 2 weeks holiday and for years my hubby wouldn't consider going for a week, but now he has no hesitation of including 2 or 3 one week holidays at any time of the year, as well as the 2 main 2 weeks.

His argument was always that whether you go for one week or two, the airfare will be the same and depending on the flight times you could lose a day either side of the holiday, so a week can become 5 days.
Being retired helps. 😁

Sanji x
It really does depend on the destination - I've never done longhaul (ie 6+ hours) for less than 14/15 days but regularly do something like the Canaries for 7 days at a time and enjoy city breaks of 3/4 days. The shortest one was probably flying with some colleagues from work to Amsterdam for the day just because we could! It was just as Easyjet starting to fly there from Edinburgh and were offering ridiculously cheap flights to get the route established. We went out on the first flight of the day and came back on the last flight of the same day. The flights were so cheap that my taxi fares to and from Dundee to meet up with the others to drive down to the airport cost more than the return airfare! I needed to leave home before the first train of the day going south was running and just felt too exhausted to mess around with buses or trains on the return journey so hopped in taxi for the lastleg of the journey home.
I've done a few 3 day breaks but by coach & ferry. We enjoyed it as still felt as though we'd been away.

Our summer holidays we've now extended to 3 weeks. 1st week goes really slowly, then at the end of the 2nd week it's nice to think we'd normally be packing to go but are staying 👍😁
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.