General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
All of it..just being there and not at work back here in sunny old north nottinghamshire. Everything else is a bonus..the weather, the culture, the exploring new places, the food, the ale, the relaxation, the scuba diving..there is so much..quality time with my family..the list is so extensive.
The worst thing is when we have to come back home and then back to work to pay for the next one!!
Predominantly it's the relaxation factor. Nothing to worry about, barely any sort of timetable to keep other than making breakfast and even then it's no bother if you miss it. Leaving everything behind for a couple of weeks of sunshine, swimming, reading, eating, drinking, soaking up the local culture and trying all the local foods.
This may come as a surprise to some of you, but one of the things I like about my hols is the flying!! The longer the better (I offset my carbon, don't worry!). I love travelling and flying and combining that with photography so must have a window seat. Once at the destination, the diving gear comes out and I love to snorkel and be at one with the marine environment, preferably with some large sharks. I normally take my video camera with me to film them, always comes in handy if they get a little too close! Then there's the relaxing and lack of hassle, laze around in between diving and getting to know a bit about the locale and people. Just getting away from it all to enjoy yourself, and a bit of sun!

Darren
Jingles wrote:
The Preperation - in particular the clothes shopping!

I think that is one of my best bits too. Especially this year because I have lost 3 stone and have had to buy all new clothes to go on holiday with :D
I think for us though it is the relaxation, reading several good books, no television (or not too much anyway), no noise pollution (I live on a very busy main road), no pollution full-stop, not feeling guilty about sitting down and relaxing because husband is there sitting down and relaxing as well !! But also visiting somewhere new, eating out at a different place each night, learning a few choice words in a different language.

The list is endless and I could go on but I think the gist is the same as everyone else.

Sarah :)
i go away to relax and have happily adjusted to the spanish delights of manana and siesta.
combine these with sun and sea and chilled wine.......................
My favourite thing is spending time with my son, I'm usually at work and him at school.
Also at home I'm a bit of a cleaning freak but on holiday, well, lets just say the rooms a bit, well chaotic.
Being able to go out on an evening and watching entertainment with the bairn too.
And all the usual stuff, lazing around all day, swimming, visiting other places nearbye. And best of all, no routines.
I love getting to the airport, lounging around in Departures, getting on the plane, and up up and away we go to the best holiday! We work hard enough all year, its our time to enjoy doing nothing!
sad as I sound, I love planning and booking the holiday ! bless poor hubby just says ok, wherever ! and our 6yr old would go anywhere !
then, I love shopping for holiday clothes, then buying bits to put in our 'Holiday drawer', then, I always try to book the first flight of the day, so we have to get up at silly o'clock, get to the airport, breakfast, get on the plane and daydream about the next 2 weeks, get to the apartment, open all the draws (!****!?) c'mon, you've all done it ! get changed, go for that first frosty pint, regardless of price ! then have a mixture of adventure and relaxation, perfect !
I love: researching the holiday
buying the clothes
first impressions on arrival at accomodation
leaving U.K and all it's stresses behind
enjoying the sunshine and warm people
doing what I want when I want.
That's just a short summary :lol:
seeing my luggage going heading down the conveyor belt towards the plane (hopefully)
Love that feeling on the steps getting off the plane at your destination. like stepping into an oven... 8)
Arriving to see your accommodation is as great as you had hoped. :lol:
Seeing my baggage on the carousel when I arrive at destination.

Patka
I love taking off at the start of our holiday, and start relaxing once we get our luggage at arrivals (my worst fear is no sign of our suitcases!).
Love the smell at the airport once we arrive (the combination of heat and fuel), discovering new places, meeting new people and trying new local food, trying to speak a few words of a foreign language. Reading a whole book in one day!
We never look at a newspaper, watch any TV or wear a watch when we're on holiday.
Being able to have food & a drink when ever I want to, no time scales involved like at home, when the boys are coming home from work & I have to cook at usually the same sort of time every evening. For me not having to think of what to buy then being in the kitchen cooking - bliss. And the fact that we can have an alcohlic drink at any time without having to worry about having to drive anywhere. Apart from that, just relaxing & enjoying every moment before it's back to the humdrum of every day things! :D
seeing our cases going in to the airplane then getting of the plane after a sitting on it for almost 5 hours
I think the planning and researching a new destination is a major part of my holiday, I rarely repeat a holiday choosing to go somewhere new each time. I hate the travelling part, hanging round at airports and endless hours of flying (I usually take long haul holidays) but on arrival I can't wait to see the country, taste the food, meet the people and experience something new.
All of it - starting with getting the brochures & researching. Sis & I spend weeks on this bit. The first drink at the airport is fantastic, and landing at the destination is better. The lack of routine -get up when I want, eat when I want, go where I want, and go to bed when I want. Although my son in law says I'm a routine freak even on hols - I do like to know the plan for the day - but only because I can plan when to shower & change etc. No stress for 2 weeks except from listening to hubby snoring. He's so laid back on hols, he's horizontal. Chatting with friends around the pool & speaking to people I don't know - something I don't do at home. The only thing I miss are my grandchildren!
Meeting new people is one of my favourite things.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.