Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

This is from British Airways website:-

Cremated remains can be carried on board our flights in either your hand baggage or checked baggage.

In order to comply with regulations, you will need to carry with you a Certificate of Death (or other country-specific equivalent) issued by a competent authority from the country of departure. You will also need to ensure that the cremated remains are packed in a sealed outer box or case.

Please note: If you are carrying cremated remains in your hand baggage, full security procedures will be applied and the sealed box or case will be x-rayed at the airport security point.

Cremated remains can also be carried as cargo.
hi Jamie ,
Sorry to hear of your loss , I hope you can find out all the advice you need , there was a thread recently about this.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/taking-human-ashes-onboard-t159994.html?hilit=Ashes

There are really three parts to this ,
1 . Security , 2. Airline and 3 . Location .

I can advise you that in regards to security , as in leaving the UK and passing through security to the flight , you can carry an urn containing ashes through security with no problem , this is a normal procedure and happens quite often , it's just respectful from all sides concerned if you mention that you are carrying ashes when you are presenting your bag to go through the x ray , it saves anyone feeling disrespectful or awkward or upset .

In regards to airline , as far as I know this is not a problem for arlines , but as there are quite a few different airlines you could choose to fly to Tenerife , it would be best to check their individual website and search for this information , I'm sure you will have no problem .

In regards to location , just make sure there are no restrictions on entering that country with ashes off hand I don't know about Tenerife , the link I added above was mentioning Tenerife , so perhaps Fiona might be up to date with info regarding that .
Hopefully you will find a special place , that might comfort you and your mum at this sad time .
She did not take the ashes in the end as we found a nearer place which was also loved. The place chosen was somewhere where everybody could visit easily. However, as you can see from the answers, it is straightforward. Best, as has been said, to check with the airline you would be going with.
It's a sad time for your family. Finding somewhere your gran loved will help give you comfort.
I work in the funeral industry and all crematoria in Scotland issue paperwork when they release the ashes to indicate what is in the container that they release. I would recommend that you ask your funeral director to transfer the ashes into a scattering tube as often the container that the crematorium releases the ashes in isn't the easiest to scatter them from.
Sorry to hear of your loss Jamie.

As has bean mentioned it should not be a problem at the airport and on the plane, make sure you have the paperwork with you and just mention at check-in and at security what you are carrying, it makes it easier for it all to be handled in a sympathetic manner.

I was going to mention a scattering tube however Elaine has given you that piece of useful information, it does make it much easier to scatter them as compared to trying to do it from an urn.

Technically it is illegal to scatter ashes on land or in the sea at Tenerife without obtaining a special license, having said that, there has been a specific area designated and transformed in to a ‘Garden of Ashes” at the cemetery of San Luis in La Laguna, it has been laid out as a peaceful area with aromatic herbs and trees.
I have been trying to find out more information for you without much luck at the moment, I understand should you wish to scatter the ashes there you have to fill out a free application first and this is located at the cemetery.
Hi can some one please provide me contact details of this place which is "Garden of Ashes" of San Luis in La Laguna which is Tenerife, I am reading about it everywhere but no one mentioned any contact details. It would be appreciated as my late wife's was to take her ashes to Tenerife
thank you
Maurice 0112
Hi Maurice
I have looked as well and it seems there are no contact details. You fill in a form when you arrive at the
cemetary. Found this info here, Hope this helps!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.