Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Not normally a problem Fiona. A friend recently took her husband's ashes to the UK on a BA flight.

An official copy of the death certificate has to be carried with the ashes which can be carried in either cabin or hold baggage, and have to be in a sealed outer box or case, probably not metal.

If carried in hand luggage they will be xrayed.
Thanks Judith
that sounds more straightforward than I thought it would be :tup
It's in the BA FAQ's if your friend wants to look it up. I can't seem to get the link to work and I know you don't allow me to copy and paste.

just type in carrying human ashes in the FAQ's.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_de?refevent=help
I don't actually know who she is flying with- it has just been booked as a very last minute holiday.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb?refevent=help_lhn
Type in carriage of cremated remain/ ashes .
The link seems to only work to the main page !!

I imagine other airlines from the UK are similar , from a security point of view they will be scanned / x rayed , it's an occurrence which does happen frequently , but its respectful for all concerned that you mention that you are carrying human ashes , I'm sure no one wants to be upset if a bag search is made for some other reason or randomly .
Do you know which country she will be flying to Fiona?

From what I understand both Germany and Austria have very strict rules about carrying human remains (you can't even have the ashes of your loved ones without special permission) so there may be a problem if she is going to fly to either country. But I don't think there aren't any problems with other countries.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.