Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
glasses
19 Posts
I'm gonna jump in and ask some optician Q's too, hope that's ok.

I'd be interested to hear if there are any opticians in Candolim that people would recommend? We're looking at getting our eyes tested here in the UK then taking the prescription to be made up into specs over there. What kinda price would we be looking at? And what kind of timescale as we're only there for 1 week *sob*

Many thanks
Janette
Janette, looked into new specs last year but were too late to order them before end of holiday.
Price guide was -- a pair of vari-focal, photochromic lenses in plastic with scratch resistant coating in a pair of unbreakable titanium frames was about £140.
Guessing that same over here would be around £400.
This was at the optician three or four doors away from elephant shop. testing equipment for prescriptions was up to date and looked comprehensive.
No doubt someone who has bought there will also reply, re wether to bother with prescription here or simply get tested there, hope so , 'cos I'll be getting mine in feb.
I think the opticians you are referring to is Eye site next door the Havali bar on the corner.
think that you are right Taffy
i've bought specs 3 times in goa. last pair titanium frames, varifocal, anti glare, policarbonate lenses. £120 !!!!! a good £350 to £400 worth in the UK. these, and the others were bought from "ROMANOS" in calangute. ask any taxi driver to take you there.
BOB
:wow
I havent been so successful getting specs in Goa. As my prescription is SO strong I need to get the VERY thin lenses and though they always say "they can" - "they can't". I have tried - honest! I do buy frames there though as at home I seem to gravitate towards the more expensive ranges (not on purpose, you understand :lol: ), so I do make a saving on these.
We bought two pairs from Romanos, mine were varifocal photochromic lens with a Hugo Boss frame for £120. My O/H had non designer name frame with photochromic lens at £60.
I am not into designer wear but the frame suited.
Fizzy2,

My prescription is also strong and I too have had problems with having glasses made for me. Like you I do make a saving on the frames, and I always need to have the lenses removed and replaced with thinner ones when I get home.

Sheila.
Hi Dave and Shiela,
I REALLY don't look for designer frames HONEST it's just that the ones that I try on (even in UK) and find suit me the best ALWAYS seem to be the expensive ones :roll: I usually end up with 2 pairs I like then get whoever is in the shop (customers) to suggest which look the best because I can't see a thing when I look in the mirror. If I take my OH he always chooses the ones that my Granny would wear (sorry to all grannies) so I have long given up on taking HIS advice (same with clothes) :lol:

If, unlike Sheila and myself, you can find "exactly" the right ones, ie frames AND lenses then you can make a big saving as others have already said. I have also tried wearing contact lenses (have also purchased these in Goa) but with varying degrees of success as wearing them on the beach can get really uncomfortable when it's windy. I also suffer from dry eye problems (which does not help). I think that for me, anyway, getting the frames in Goa and lenses in UK will be about as good as it gets :cry:
Hi Green Eyed Lady
We went to Colva this year and got contact lenses and glasses from Optica Occulistas in Margao. It's quite a small place, but they have a good selection of frames and are very reasonable. If you have some favourite frames they will just change the lenses for you - about £10 per eye. I got 6 months supply of contact lenses at about half the price of the UK and a pair of spare glasses with anti-glare lenses - about £50 in total, to give you an idea. There was an optician in Colva but their opening times seemed a bit erratic. If you get the local bus to Margao, get off by the park, you pass the opticians just before you get off the bus. They need several days to make glasses/order contact lenses, so the earlier you go, the better. Next year we're going to Baga, so can anyone recommend an optician there please?
I have had glasses from Romanos in Calungate and have always been very pleased.

Last year I bought designer frames from Ebay and took them with me to have my prescription lenses fitted. Usually costs in the region of £30 for lenses only.
Can recommend Frank's in Panjim. Had 4 pairs (2 varifocal, 1 reading and 1 tinted) made - took prescription and own frames from here. Total cost £62. Excellent job and top service.
lizspain miccie donapaula thankyou all very much for the info we have such a lot of choice now. Now which one to choose. :)
titanium frames or not the asking price you should always bargan for at least 20% less I paid 80 quid for mine bifocals with titanium frames 8)

the stranger :oops:
lez
I think sometimes we look through rose coloured spectacles Yes I bought some nice glasses but they broke when i got home made of glass not plastic paid £70.00 and then when i went back to Goa paid another £20.00 for replacement lens which also broke . I'm getting more disillusioned with the rip off merchants in Goa. No doubt people will stick up for the poor opticians, but i felt a bit cheated.

Paul
I also had a problem with glasses I purchased in Margao. There was some sort of coating on the lenses and after only 2 days it started to peel off as though they had been scratched. I took them back and they agreed to replace them (after some arguing as they insisted I had scratched them) and then sent them to me by post as our holiday had come to an end. However, the replacement were the same and my OH glasses went the same way. We took them to our optician in this country and they agreed that they had been coated with something to make them look like reactolite lenses. I am sure most of you have had good results but unfortunately it has put me off buying glasses again. Will just have to find something else to spend my money on :lol:
Sorry to hear of your experiences rogietlegs and paulisreal1952. I have had lens put into frames about half a dozen times and have not experienced any problems at all. Have always used either Romanos in Calungute or the Optician by the market in Mapsa.
I bought glasses from Bombay Bazaar Panjim one Titanium one small plastic varifocal tinted they were brilliant i've been trying to obtain some more by post.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.