Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
reading glasses
28 Posts
Hi someone recommened SAI opticans in Panjim its on MG Road, they said they were a very good price there, also designer glasses, so thats were i am heading to in december. Hope this helps.
I use Romano Optics in Calangute and get a good pair of reading specs with sun reactive lenses for about £40 with designer frames.I found the simple type of lens ,including prescription sunglasses, great value, about £30/40 depending of course on the the frames.
BUT my OH has tried varifocals and can't get away with them and when she had them checked in the UK they said the lenses were incorrect. I also have a pair of varifocals but they are'nt so good, but that may be just me???

I have no problems with the plain lenses and they are very cheap compared to UK prices.

Romano optics are also in Panjim and other places in Goa.
I had varifocals made at Romanos and hadn't had them before. I can't really get on with them for wearing all the time so just use them as reading glasses. I will have the lenses checked in the UK and see what they say.
If you only need basic readers or your prescription strength is not very high then yes it is worth getting them in Goa. I need varifocals and I have very poor eyesight so would have to wear "milk bottle thick" lenses (well almost) :yikes if I got them in Goa. They just don't seem to be able to provide the thin lenses there - I have tried. They will tell you they can get the thin lenses in the hope that you will accept them once they have had then made up for you but I am sorry, they just can't. :que If anyone knows somewhere that does then I shall stand corrected :tup
I would also like to know can they do biofocals, as my oh and myself both need them and have been waiting to get them in goa, wont bother if they are thick lenses. Many thanks
exellent bifocals ,vari focals and reactolights in romanos .very good eye test
Thankyou for that quick reply corinnelynne, does anyone know of any good opticans in the south? :cheers
I would think you can get bi-focals although I have never asked as I don't wear them. Just be careful. Offer a small desposit (if necessary, they may not ask for one) and make sure they are "spot on" when you try them for the first time. Check the lense thickness just in case you haven't been supplied what you asked for. I got my deposit back and refused the specs I had ordered as they were not right. Thankfully my OH was with me when I ordered them and heard everything that was said so they couldn't "try it on", blame me or deny what they had said to me. Actually they were apologetic and we all shook hands. I would like to think they didn't deliberately try to hoodwink me but in Goa you can never be sure.

You will get plenty of advice about this topic on HT. Some have had a successful outcome and others haven't - IMO it's a bit "trial and error" in Goa where specs are concerned. I would rather get some frames over there and get the specs made up here, specially if it's designer frames that you are after.
Many thanks for that advice fizzy2 i will write that all down so as to remember to say all that i need. ( i i am a lady of a certain age memerory not great :D )
That means we have 2 things in common then :rofl
That nice to hear :rofl glad i'm not on my own.
I would rather get some frames over there and get the specs made up here, specially if it's designer frames that you are after.

Now that's a great idea. I would say even with a prescription they don't necessarily get it right... not always the bargain you think you are getting.
Just had my eyes tested and brought a pair of varifoculs from Vilas in calangute cost 5.000rps but excellent no problems at all, there is also a shop down in holiday street right hand side before Ondas they are good also.
hi, is it worth getting a eye test before we arrive in goa, my hubby needs really strong varifocals and the lenses in the uk are very heavy, so i wonder if he will be able to get lighter ones, in the uk they usually cost him £300-£350 and thats with cheap frames, i hate jam jar bottoms.
I had taken my eye test paperwork with me, but they tested my eyes again on their computerised machine anyway, just give a small deposit and if they are not ok just make sure you tell them, my isiter in law had a pair of sunglasses and reading glasses made, but the sun glasses came back wrong, they corrected them no problems.
My hubby has had glasses made for him at Agnelos in Mapusa for many years, he has bi-focals, never a problem. We also bring prescriptions from family in the u.k. and get glasses for them. Last year got vari-focals with anti glare in designer frames for my sister-in-law for under £50 and she said they were perfect. I only need glasses for reading so get mine at pound shops in the u.k.!!!!! £1.
Straight prescription glasses, for long or short sighted, yes you can get some bargains, Last year my hubby wanted varifocals, it took nearly 4 weeks of going back and from the optitions, and they still couldnt get them right, this wasent the first optitions we have tried, there has been one in Mapusa, Calangute, and Candolim. If you need prism's /varifocals I would go to Specsavers, hubbys glasses were spot on first time, and even with the frames, they only cost 90 pounds, where as in Goa we were spending up to 200 pounds.
I bought a pair of designer framed varifocals. £120 approx. The lens is starting to come adrift from the frame and I have only worn them half a dozen times. Taking them back is not an option when you are not local ! Personally I would buy at home next time, probably wait for a B.O.G.O.F. at Specsavers then the price will be about the same as Goa.
Personally I would buy at home next time

I would agree with you there. My OH had one pair of glasses fall apart, another pair is heading that way. I bought designer sunglasses that cracked within days, got another pair and likewise after a month at home... £50 down the drain.

I'm sure other people have had problem free purchases but I'm not convinced.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.