Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I am onto my third pair of varifocals from Goa and never had a problem with them. Had them from Franks in Panjim but he does not do eye tests so I have my prescription from Boots and he makes them up. Would not consider buying them in UK as the price quoted by Boots this week was horrendous (or I thought so after always buying my specs in Goa).
Friends always have theirs from Mapusa near the big chemist on the corner opposite the market. They have the eye test upstairs by a lady optician then go there to have them made up. She has computerised testing.
Yes that's the name - couldn't remember it - thanks
As I said, trial and error. You pays your money and takes a chance. Having said that even with the offers at spec savers I have forked out over £500 for 2 pairs of specs because I needed the lenses peared down (thinner than what the offer covered) and reactolite, anti glare, scratch resistant etc. so it still hasn't been cheap. :cry Goa can definitely be cheaper if your prescription is fairly basic and not a "blind as a bat one" like mine is. :rofl they can do thinner lenses but not as thin as here in the UK (in my experience) - it all depends on what you find acceptable.

The frames I got over there lasted a couple of years and are still serviceable should I need to use them again. I got them in an optician in Panjim but can't remember the name of the place at the moment.

My OH got some ready readers in Bombay Bazaar in Panjim, good frames but not that cheap - You can get them cheaper at Lidl :D
If you are in Calangute and need some ordinary reading glasses - Nickys book shop on CSM road sells the "ones you can buy anywhere" type for a couple hundred rupees. Handy if you break or loose yours.
but not as thin as here in the UK

Yes, I think you are right.

Another tip... buy/order your glasses as early on in your holiday as possible. It's not something you want to rush as quite a lot of the time it's not right first time.

Do any of the major opticians do 'designer' style reading glasses off the shelf. I used to buy online and found a better selection than in Safeways/Boots etc.

Thanks
Big Neil wrote:
Another tip... buy/order your glasses as early on in your holiday as possible. It's not something you want to rush as quite a lot of the time it's not right first time.

Absolutely agree with that Big Neil, very good point.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.