Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Thats strange as when we went to Tunisa at Christmas from Newcastle we were sat next to 2 young Tunisian lads. :que
Depending on where they want to visit the issue is whether they can get a visa to enter the country they want to visit, not whether they can get a visa to leave Tunisia. Given your other question on the forum I assume that you are asking because you want to be able to bring your boyfriend to visit you here in the UK? As he is a non-EU citizen he will need to apply for a visitors holiday visa before he leaves Tunisia and you will find more information here on the type of visa he needs and how to apply for it

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/

Generally speaking the reason why it isn't easy to get a visa to enter the UK is because of concerns that someone will outstay their visa and try to remain here illegally. If you want to apply for for a fiance's visa because you plan on marrying him while he is here or intend marrying him out there and bringing him to the UK, there is now a language requirement and he would have to pass before the UK Border Agency will issue a fiancé or spousal visa but there is no language test for a visitors visa for the purpose of a holiday visit.

SM
sarfield wrote:
Ok not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but i was told by a Tunisian friend that it's very hard for them to leave the country, even to have a holiday, because of visa issues he said. He said it's difficult for them to get a visa.
Why is this? Doesn't seem right. They're like prisoners in their own country?? What's the reasoning behind it? He said it's not a money issue. :/

It's to stop illegal immigration, it's nothing to so with money really. Presumably the only allowable visa is somekind of holiday one that will be time limited.
Hi Sarfield, Doe is quite right about why they have difficulty getting visas. May I, though, give you a gentle nudge towards http://tunisia.com/ where you'll find a great deal of useful information about all things related to this subject and help from people who've been through it as well as those still fighting the good fight to be with their Tunisian menfolk.

Best of luck and remember you are not alone.
Thanks guys. I just don't know much about this, especially since as a British person i'm used to be able to travel freely to any country i want on holiday (and don't even need to worry about visas??). So it's strange to me that there's such a difference. Is it because the UK is considered a more desirable country to 'escape' to? So they're worried about people staying?

To be honest all the visa talk, and people warning me against getting involved with a Tunisian because "they're only interested in a visa", etc, is enough to make me paranoid, even though i think i'm a good judge of character. It's hard to know what to think though really, i believe that you can never really know what another person is thinking, no matter how well you think you know them. And that applies to anyone.
I am not sure where you have travelled to then. Brits need visas to travel to loads of Countries. Turkey, Egypt, USA, India that's just off the top without even thinking on it, you have to check back out of the Country in a time limited period specified by the Visa.
Not all Tunisians are only interested in getting gifts,money or visas from Europeans although unfortunately quite a few of them are. I personally know several couples who have been happily married for many years, some living here in the UK and others in Tunisia. You don't really 'know' someone until you have spent a lot of time with them and a couple of weeks holiday, even every few months, is simply not enough. Those who have really only 'known' their boyfriend through Facebook or similar are even more deluded and these relationships invariably fail,

The reason why so many want to come to the UK is because we have a far better social security system than most other countries and many hope to take advantage of that. The government is trying to stop this as the country really can't afford it and that is why it has become considerably more difficult to obtain visas,

I really would encourage you to have a look at the forum I mentioned where you will find lots of stories, both good and bad.
Ok thank you for the info. I will consider everything carefully.
Did your friends manage to get a tourist visa? I have a friend In Tunisia and it's so confusing how to apply for a visa. He only wants to visit me for 1/2 weeks.
Hi Louise, If anything I think it is even more difficult for Tunisians ro get a holiday visa now than it was a few years ago, as the UK government are even more concerned about over-stayers. It will go in his favour if he can prove he has the initention of returning: an educational course he is studying in Tunisia , a home of his own , a job where his boss is happy for him to take the holiday and keep his job open on his return, elderly parents for whom he is responsible (you get the idea). Then there is his relationship to you, or rather how the authorities might view it. A friend who is interested in visiting the UK for a holiday might be more welcome than a man who might wish to stay with you. You will need to guarantee to be responsible for him whilst here, and whilst this might not be practical, the invitation coming from somebody such as your parents would probably be looked at somewhat more favourably than if it came from you. He and you would need to check the latest situation with the Embassy rather than listen to coffee shop gossip. You would also need to check the cost of the Visa, as this is not refundable if the visa is refused for any reason.

Believe me I am not trying to put you off, and he may be one of the very few lucky ones for whom everything goes smoothly, but I felt It only right to point out the problems in getting most types of visa. I do wish you both the best of luckl
  • Edited by Aslemma 2017-11-12 01:33:02
when i went Tunisia the year before the bomb i was talking to a taxi driver and he was telling me that mostly the young lads cant get a visa is that the have to do a couple of years in the army and lots go on the run thats why the young lads will not get visas.
That would make sense Steve- hadn't thought about that.
But it's the country where they want to travel to that issues the visas. Not Tunisia.
and they may well have suspicions that the men are trying to escape conscription. But of course there could be security issues.
I think that something might have been lost in translation in the conversation with the taxi driver because I remember that an initial stumbling block for Tunisian young men of conscription age (ie early 20s) was being able to get a passport. They aren't allowed to leave the country during their period of service and hence are usually refused one if they apply during their period of service even if they have bought their way out of actually serving and if they are trying to avoid the draft then the last thing they are going to do is draw themselves to the attention of the authorities by applying for one. If they haven't got a passport or suitable travel documents then they are never going to be issued with an entry visa even for a holiday visit.
That is a very valid point SMa, but I think the main problem is that the UK is unwilling to issue .a visa except in certain circumstances. If the OP's friend does try for one I do hope she will keep us posted, as I'm sure quite a few people will be interested in hearing of a more recent experience,
I'm sure you're right Aslemma - I was just trying to put the taxi driver's comment into context. If they can't even get a passport, then they can't even start to apply for an entry visa for somewhere else. I've also heard 2nd hand that one of the main drivers when it comes to younger men taking a romantic interest in older women is that they are more likely to be able to afford to provide the money that would enable said young man buy himself out of having to do his national service.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.