Travel News

A place to discuss news related to the travel industry
Saw that being reported ;very sneaky way to raise extra revenue for HMG as it's also being suggested that,after Brexit, most destinations in Europe will require 6 months minimum validity on passports on arrival, thus making the UK passport effectively only 9.5 years in life!!!
Quite agree, in another report I picked up later it was pointed out that having a minimum of 6 months on a passport was quite normal for many destinations. When youngest moved to the USA his passport had 9 months left on it. He had been working in Canada on the Batman/Superman movie and came back to the UK in the November. Before he could renew his passport he had to send it to the US Embassy for his visa. He renewed it when he got to LA and was wandering around with two passports until last year (one expired but containing the visa and his new one) when he came back to upgrade his visa to A1 last year. He lost his wallet early this year in Las Vegas with his UK driving licence and cannot replace it as he is not a UK resident so he has been driving in the UK on his US licence this last week and they will only rent him anautomatic.
Whatever their reasons for the change, I'm not sure that making a maximum extra £5.70 per 10 year passport is the most probable reason :-)
British holidaymakers are being warned that passports will need to have six months left if Britain leaves the EU without a Brexit deal.

The Foreign Office updated its travel advice on Friday saying the rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if the UK leaves with no deal.

It is estimated around 2 million Brits, whose passports are in their last year of validity, would be affected.

The warning is expected to lead to a rush in renewal applications.

The FCO said after 29 March 2019, British passport holders should make sure they have six months left on their passport from the date of arrival overseas. This applies to adult and child passports.

It added: "If you renewed a 10-year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport's expiry date. These extra months will not count."

The new rules will apply to passports issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey.

In a document outlining the consequences of a no-deal scenario, the Government said Brits would also need to buy a new £5.50 international driving permit if they want to drive in the EU.

Courtesy of Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.