EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Turkey is a bit of a culture shock when driving, but not as bad as people make out. I would suggest that you stay in Dalyan if you are looking for property in the Dalaman area. Marmaris is 1 hr 15 mins away, or Akyaka is 1 hr from the airport. Good luck with your property hunt and be careful.
Gocek would be a great place to use as a base for property hunting, but I suspect property would be expensive to buy there.

I've driven in that part of Turkey many times - there are no significant problems - taking a car into one of the big cities might be a different matter, but that's what driving in any big city is like.

The biggest worry for most drivers in the tourist areas seems to be police speed checks that impose on-the-spot fines - and that means taking cash out of your pocket and handing it over to the nice officer before he'll let you drive off. Hmmmm.
I would suggest you stay in Fethiye, it is a town that does not rely on tourism and so opperates all year, I think you may find other places around Dalaman a bit of a ghost town in March.

Turks are not the best drivers but no worse than the French or Italiens, Orange rent a car in fethiye is a good company.

Good luck with your search.

Rimms
Thanks for your suggestions, but when I look on the web, I can't find any hotels that are open in March.

I have been offered appartments in Calis, but their restaurant/bar isn't open until April.

If anyone knows any hotel in Dalaman or Dalyan that ARE open, please let me know, otherwise I will be sleeping at the airport for the week.......... :cry:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.