Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Goa Carnival
18 Posts
Hi clareb. From what I can gather Carnival happens on the 6th of Feb.
Hi Clare...try this link also...

http://www.goacarnival.com ...maybe this is the one you're after? I've pm'd another member, Poipleshadow, who is living out in Goa at the mo...maybe he can throw more light on it!

Pam
Clareb, if you go to page 2 of this forum and scroll down to Dec16 posts, look for post title "holi festival", this gives a bit of info
del
Del,
The 'Carnival' and 'Holi' are two different things. Just like the Carnival in Brazil... so is the Carnival in Goa. it isn't celebrated in any other place in India. Whereas the festival of Holi is celebrated in most parts of India. It is a Hindu spring festival celebrated at the approach of the spring season, during the 3 or 4 days preceding the full moon day during February-March according to the Hindu calendar.

Clareb, if you go to page 2 of this forum and scroll down to Dec16 posts, look for post title "holi festival", this gives a bit of info
del
Still think it's the weekend 5-8th of Feb this year........
Yes...think so to.....on some site it refers to it as Fat Saturday, Fat Sunday etc! :lol: :lol: All around Ash Wednesday time...so reckon its the w/end before.
Hi Deutchesafrikar,
well we live and learn :)
when do these dates fall this year, it's possible that we may be able to enjoy it.

Del

oops, just seen the other two posts after yours. Looks like we will miss it :cry:
:lol: :lol: Del! :lol:

Try this http://www.webindia123.com/festival/feb/goa.htm

On the other link I put in further up...it says that it finishes on evening of Fat Tuesday...(Shrove Tuesday) on eve of Ash Wednesday in time for Lent.
Shrove Tuesday falls on the 8th Feb this year :lol: so 5th - 8th it is....
Brilliant! looks like we'll arrive just as it starts.

Having read the links you all so kindly gave me it looks as if it is similar to the Holi festival in that they have pretend paint/powder fights - is this right?

I think we'll wear scruffs and go and watch and learn!!

An unexpected sight that we can look forward to!

Any other do's and don'ts would be welcome.
Sorry for my complete lack of ability to reply to this - been busy with the charity.... I'll try and confirm but please don't hold your breath... :oops:
Hi there,

First of all could I just say a big thank you for everyone's help regarding my previous post on taxis and excursions.

I've done a bit more reading up since then and it looks as if I may be in Goa for the Carnival, although I'm not sure of the date (my travel dates are 24th Feb to 11th March 2006).

My question is..what happens during Carnival? Festivals aside, I read something about people being pelted with water and coloured powder..it all sounds like lots of fun!

Thanks

Neil
There is a festivel when basically everyone throws powder paint at each other. It's a little more complex than that but that's basically what happens.

I think it is the first full moon in March so I'm not sure if this is the same as the Goa Carnival, I think it is a separate thing but Poipleshadow should be able to advise you better (or maybe Lin B).

Sorry I cant remember the actual name of the festivals other than Diwali is in November - went to a Christmas party last night and the head just isn;t up to it today.

HOLI!!!...I remembered and I thin it is end of March or maybe begining, like I said too much red wine yesterday
Thanks for the link and the responses...hope you're feeling better as well Fritz!

Cheers

Neil
Going back to Candolim 30th jan, cant wait!

Does anyone know the date of the carnival? I've looked on the forum, but theres a few different dates mentioned

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.