Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
yes its fine, I always see what it going on round the pool and if it looks ok topless it is
re
Haha...i WOULD know about this...there are no problems at all, it is to be considered absolutly normal, and nobody stares.
On a lot of beaches west of Lagos its quite acceptable to go bottomless as well!
Hi,

I went to Albufeira with my boyfriend last year. We stayed in the Montechoro Beach Club in the new part called Praia de Oura.
It's no problem to go topless at the beach, it's not so commen as Spain or Greece, but I think about 30 to 35% of the woman were topless. I went topless from day 1, sunning and swimming, and didn't feel any harm.
At the last day we stayed at he pool and I went topless there. Despite the fact that the Montechoro Beach Club is a quite big hotel only 5 or 6 other girls were topless. So it was no problem to go topless at the pool, but if you don't go topless more often you could feel a bit harm.

Ilse from Holland
I think its a great idea :P Compulsory even.

(dont tell the wife I said this :oops: )

Lummie
I went to Madeira this year and noticed that very few of the local women go topless, although I did. Wonder if it's a Portuguese thing.
Yeps, portuguese women don't care for topless... they are a bit shy, in general, I think... but they don't mind if others do it (unlike Goan women, like I noticed when I was there in March... they do feel offended by foreigners on topless). Don't worry about it.
Just back from Carveoiro and only saw one person topless on the beach.
Lets be realistic here. [noticed that very few of the local women go topless]Would you go topless in your local area?????
why is it frowned upon for men to walk topless in shops?
Aidy as Pat says , would you dream of goin topless (Male) when you are shopping in your local area when we have hot temperatures in UK like we have had this past 10 days, if we had constant hot temperatures then maybe it would be frowned upon just the same by shopkeepers so you have to respect their views. My personal opinion regarding a female going topless is if she wants go topless on the beach good for her, but if she does it around a pool at the accommodation as long as she doesnt offend anyone thats fine, but if other people felt uncomfortable and complained then I think she should also respect their views and cover up or move away from their immediate company . Cheers Jayjan
Actually Jade, yes I would (and do) go topless in my local area, although I see your point here.

But I tend to be discreet about it. I usually swim with my bikini top on, then take it off when I lie down to sunbathe.

And I think it looks awful when men go around in public areas topless. I can't put my finger on exactly why, it just looks offensive. Of course it's fine by the pool or on the beach, but in public streets, in shops and in restaurants? Definitely not.
I saw a lot of men topless walking around on the strip due to the heat, but then again I do it at home and so do all the other lads when it is hot. Offensive why? if you have a good body and a nice tan then I don't see no harm.
Aidy some folks & shopkeepers good body or not take offence to it, you have got to respect the Portuguese way of life. If you are asked to put your shirt on when going in a shop or restaurant i'm sure you would put it on out of respect & customs. Another point though is would you take offence to women walking round topless on The Strip & in shops if you had your young children with you?, it works both ways. Jayjan
Was Topless Sunbathing allowed on Algarve beaches in the early Nineties.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.