Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Prague
117 Posts
Many thanks
What about currency
Anyone help
Hi Folks,

I will be in Prague from 4th to 7th June. Incidentally, Im asian and this my first trip to Europe. Im also female and travelling alone. Any tips for guidance? Is it possible to meet fellow travellers, without getting ripped off or worse.... (i leave that to your imagination!).
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the link. Pretty useful. Planning to visit prague from 4th to 7th June (who knows - we might bump into each other, Big Jay!).

Wld you say that Prague is generally a pretty safe place to aimlessly walk around. Heard that's the best way to see Prague. Thing is - Im asian and this my first trip to Europe. Im also female and travelling alone. And I guess i should also admit that im awful with directions. I get lost in my own country - and that's saying a lot, since its a pretty small country.

Any tips for travelling solo? Is it possible to meet fellow travellers, without getting ripped off or worse.... (i leave that to your imagination!).
We went to Prague and found it to be aperfectly safe place as long as you used common sense. Keep away from quiet side streets. The streets of Prague are made for wandering aimlessly, especially around the market square in the OLd Town. Enjoy a glass of mulled wine as you browse the stalls and study the astronomical clock. Invest in some of their crystal , it's superb. The food was great but we found that we got what we paid for. There's a lovely wine bar at the end of Wenceslas square ( from the keg but beware it's strong stuff). The Charles bridge is a must and it's best to go there both during the day and at night. If you cross the bridge and climb a steep hill you'll get to the castle. Try and be there for the changing of the guard at noon. It's a sight not to be missed. Have a great time we did. Don't worry about getting lost we did several times but always found our way back
Forgot to say the currency is the Crown or Korona. Ask at any bureau de change.
Hello,

You requested some informations about Prague. I think the http://www.ohp.cz is a good presentation for the informations what you are looking. It's an online hotel reservation
site but it has some useful informations about Prague (prices, maps, etc.)
I went to Prague last year with my husband and went out a couple of times on my own and I have to say that I felt perfectly safe. Infact someone stopped me for directions and I had to say that I wasn't a local so I think I'll take that as a compliment :)

This site here will give you details of sightseeing tours as that would be a good way to meet people and share experiences - http://www.pragueexperience.com/sightseeing/sightseeing_tours.asp

Obviously as in any major town petty crime can be a problem but just take the usual precautions and you'll be fine - wear your bag crossways, don't carry much cash etc. I'd stess that we never witnessed any crime.

If you are on your own I'd book a taxi from the airport to your hotel in advance, that way you are not messing about once you arrive. We arranged ours via our hotel and the driver met us in arrivals.

If you visit the astronomical clock, I'd be interested to hear what you thought. We thought it was a bit of a let down and noticed that lots of people around us had expressions on their faces as if to say "was that it??"

Have a good time.
Hi SteelMagnolia

You may also like to post in the Prague City Breaks topic HERE.

Pippy :D
Don't know if you have boked a hotel yet but this is a good website to go on, I went with them last December, no probs at all

http://www.travel.cz
I'm going for a weekend away in July..My team at work won an incentive..whats it like..is it EU..what is the currency and whats the duty free limit..and is it a good place to go?? :D
Hi Sandy beaches .... have a browse, this forum is full of feedback from members who have been to Prague. So too is the Prague thread in our City Breaks forum ... please click here.

David :wave
My fault David- have just moved his post to here and left a shadow on the Other Destinations forum.
Hey,

I hope this is in the right place, it's a question regarding the cost of Polish trains, myself and a friend ae travelling from Krakow to Prage via rail, i have looked at the Polish train website and found out that the journey will take between 7 - 8 hours including 1 change. Now thats fine but i have no idea of what price to expect as when i click fares it says the cost can't be calculated. So i was wondering have any of travelled for this long on a train around europe and how much the was the cost roughly? just so we know how much to put aside.

Thanks
Alex
Alex, is there any point in contacting the Polish Tourist Office in London - they should be able to give you some idea of the price.
Alex, is it possible that the price is not available because there's two ticketing authorities involved, Polish and Czech?
Maybe if you took each leg individually you may get the price.

Good luck.
I went to Prague a few years ago during the month of February. It was VERY cold and it snowed, which made the whole trip that much more enjoyable :D I've just booked flights with BMIBaby (fab price of £0.00 - taxes only approx £60) for 2 to 5 December to go to Christmas markets. What's the weather like in December?
Hi Westglam

You may also like to post your question HERE.

Pippy :D
Hi Westglam

It may snow but isn't guaranteed. We've also just booked with BMibaby for a few nights between Christmas and New Year- paid about £100 for the 2 of us with taxes. We were there at the same time a couple of years ago and there was a sprinkling of snow on the parks- but mainly gone from the city streets. It was very cold though, below freezing even in the day. I love Prague at this time of year, even with the cold, and the Christmas markets add to the atmosphere.
Thanks Pippy - will do :tup
Many thanks Maria, fingers crossed for a bit of snow then. I don't think I'd want to go to Prague in the warmer weather. I think of it as a cold place :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.