Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I was thinking of getting some Lactobacillus Acidophilus to take ....do think I should take them a week before we go to build up a good supply of friendly bacteria in advance
Cant see that it would do any harm tangobunny and it may do good, so you might as well go for it.

:sun2
They arrived this morning....supplier said to take 2 weeks before we go so I've started them as we go on 27th.....I'm happy to pay £8 for the 2 of us to get some sort of protection....even if it's just going to lessen the symptoms it will be something....I've spoken to 2 people who took it before they went....didn't stop them from getting Pharaohs Revenge but they were only ill for half a day.....so I'm hoping we'll do a little better as they ate everything....salads , fruit, ice cream
Whenever it's happened to me I've generally taken the local remedy Antinel and it clears up inside 12 hours. Both times I've had it have been when I've either been due to fly back home (6 hours on a plane - not good) and 10 hours on a train (much worse) but it's disappeared before I even started to travel.

We will probably just pick up a packet of tablets at the pharmacy before we start cruising - just in case. Really don't want to be trying to search for a chemists around Esna or Kom Ombo!
I plan to go to a Pharmacy and get some as soon as we arrive in Hurghada....better safe than sorry....I'm mainly thinking I'm going to need it on the boat.....hotel had mainly good reviews so I'm not worried about being there......boat is a different kettle of fish
Remember that Antinal is not like Imodium, it is a broad spectrum Antibiotic that like all Antibiotics is designed to be taken as a course of tablets for a period of time NOT just until symptoms pass and could have possible side effects, for more info look at this post

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/urgent-advice-required-t156481.html?hilit=antinal#p1583534
Tangobunny wrote:
I plan to go to a Pharmacy and get some as soon as we arrive in Hurghada....better safe than sorry....I'm mainly thinking I'm going to need it on the boat.....hotel had mainly good reviews so I'm not worried about being there......boat is a different kettle of fish

Its fine to get Antinal and keep them to one side incase you do get seriously ill, but they are the same as taking Amoxcicillin or a similar antibiotic here that we would have to get on a prescription, its just that in Egypt they hand them out like dolly mixtures. Many people dont seem to realise they are an antibiotic and you are never asked by a chemist here if you are allergic to penecillin like you would be in the UK.

I have been to Sharm 4 times and El Gouna (it's near Hurghada) once and have only suffered with a quesey tummy once and just for an afternoon, all the rest of the family have been fine 100 percent of the time, so fingers you will be the same, although the stats always look bad there are many people who go and don't get the dreaded tummy bug.

re Antinal thanks for the concern....I'm a Pharmacy Technician so I'm well aware of how meds should be taken....I'm getting them should we fall ill....I don't plan too....my concerns are for the Nile cruise part of the holiday as I'm aware people have become ill on the boat we are travelling on...I'm armed with anti bac gel and wipes and plan to clean every door handle,glass,mug and piece of cutlery before we touch it.....lol
They are normally available on all the boats from the onboard shop although you will pay slightly more than you would in a Chemist.
Tangobunny wrote:
re Antinal thanks for the concern....I'm a Pharmacy Technician so I'm well aware of how meds should be taken....I'm getting them should we fall ill....I don't plan too....my concerns are for the Nile cruise part of the holiday as I'm aware people have become ill on the boat we are travelling on...I'm armed with anti bac gel and wipes and plan to clean every door handle,glass,mug and piece of cutlery before we touch it.....lol

Opps, sorry I appear to be teaching my granny to suck eggs. :D I didnt realise you were a pharmacist. Fingers crossed that you dont need any of this anyway.

We took antibacterial gel cleanser last time we went to Egypt.

It never came out of the travel bag!
Thanks everyone....hope we'll be ok despite all our precautions
There was a story in The Sun a week or so ago, about a number of holidaymakers suffering from illness while at the Tropicana Sea Beach Splash Resort, in Nabq Bay.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4513051.ece

Wonder how serious this actually was, and whether there are number of people with compensation £ signs in their eyes?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.