Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi everybody.

Hubby and I are going to Protaras in August, have just heard from a friend that his parents (who were in Paphos) found it quite expensive, apparently they were told that since joining the EU prices have been hiked up.

Does anybody know if this is true or just another "urban myth" that circulates.

We go because we love it, not looking for a particularly cheap holiday because we believe you get what you pay for and as we only get 2 weeks away a year it has to be somewhere we can rely on having a good time, but better to be prepared money wise.

Going to the Capo Bay Hotel for the third time, stayed in Alva Apartments first time but I believe it has been refurbished since then.
Hi
I got back from Protaris earlier this week. 1st time I've ever been to Cyprus but my husband's been loads of times and he recons the prices have shot up since the last time he was there. We spent about double what we expected. Thank goodness for credit cards, holes in the walls and bank cards!!

We chatted to a Scottish lady called Paula who runs the bar/cafe at the appartments where we stayed and she confirmed that prices (esp for local produce) have shot up since they joined the EU.

Prices I'm going to give are in Cyp£ not sterling so dont forget to take that into account ....... I can't remember exactly how much things were but as a rough guide drinks - pint of local lager (Keo) will cost you on avarage about £1.50, and imported largers such as Carlsberg will cost you £2 a pint. A brandy sour around £1.30, Lamumba will cost you about £2. Lots of the local bars have "happy hours" that last from 6pm to 10pm where you'll get cocktails for £1-£1.50ish.
Foodwise, a starter will cost you anything from £1.95 to £4 depending on where you eat and what you have. Main courses anything from £4.95 for something simple like Spag Bol or moussaka to an avarage of £10 for a steak. (not bad compared to the UK I guess) Perl Bleu do a nice Ostrich steak for around £9. No idea what a sweet will cost you as we were always too stuffed by then! A glass of house wine with your meal will be around £2 and a bottle of wine (If I remember correctly?) was about £5 to £6 (but dont quote me on that as I didnt buy by the bottle!) An English breakfast will cost you anything from £2 to £3

Most places will give you a complimentary spirit at the end of your evening meal.

We didnt really bother to price up booze for bringing back except Southern Comfort which is my favourite tipple. To buy that in resort was £10cyp - barely worth the effort of dragging it back as you can get it in UK for around £14 sterling. We also found that buying cigs or rolling tobacco at the resort was cheaper than buying it at Larnaca airport.

If you're self catering (I know the OP isnt but for anyone who is....) expect to pay about 60c for a small loaf of bread. 90c for a small tub of flora 10c for a single portion of jam. Around £1.20 for a packet of ham 85c for a pack of laughing cow cheese triangles. Tea bags will cost you about £1.40 for a small packet. A bottle of factor 6 suncream cost me £6 and after sun was £5

On the beach were were charged £3 each visit we made. I assume this was £1 each for the sunbeds and an umbrella.

I can recommend a place in Paralimni called the Kapilion Meze House which was an old traditional taverna. (you'll find that on Stadiou Str) Looked like we'd stepped into another time. Their meze was £6 per head and we could barely move when we'd finished.

I hope this is helpful for you. Have a great holiday

Netty
Thanks Netty

A very comprehensive answer.

Prices are not as bad as I had expected (C£9 was what my friend's dad paid for a vodka and red bull apparently).

My mind is now at ease and I am looking forward to our holiday, roll on August.
what a superb reply those prices are not as bad as i expected so perhaps £1500 for 2 weeks for the 3 of us will be ok
I noticed the prices slowly creeping up on my last visit.

I will be there again shortly so shall see how it fairs.

Kath HT Admin
Hi All

pleased my reply was helpful! :)

We found the prices pretty much on a par with what we'd expect to spend for a night out in the UK - which can add up when you're eating and drinking out for 2 weeks! We certainly felt it was expensive compared to other places we've been recently and my husband did notice a big difference in prices since the last time he visited Cyprus.

Self catering in our books means eating out every day NOT getting food in and doing our own cooking! It cost us about £900 for 2 of us for 2 weeks so £1500 for 3 of you should be fine.

Next time we go I'll certainly be taking an extra £300 or so with me because those jewellery shops were just sooooo tempting! I had my eye on a wonderful silver and marcasite necklace which was £180cyp but as I'd not budgeted for it I couldnt bring myself to part with that sort of cash.

Netty
we never eat in on an evening but sometimes have sabdwiches for lunch, the prices you are quoting are on a par with puerto pollensa last year if not cheaper
Netty did you stay at the LIVAS apts? As there is a lady called paula who works there also.

Thanks Michelle x
I have noticed over the years Cyprus has got a little more expensive but still slightly cheaper than back in the UK.
Vodka red bull £9!....what was it a triple? my husband sometimes likes to drink that and last year the most we paid was £5 cypriot and that was at the Capo Bay pool bar which is expensive but a fab place to relax!
Last year we spent about £1200 for the 2 of us,which I didn't think that was too bad and that was eating and drinking whatever we wanted.
I find this astounding that nearly everyone on here finds Cyprus expensive to eat, are we talking about proper restaurants here or self catering etc?

We eat always out in pernera, prices i find are a lot cheaper in this village location. We normally go B & B, but this year going self catering.

Three adults ate out on a 3 course meal for about £22 total, and that included tips and cokes, or wine and WKD for my daughter.

Most of the food were £3.75/£4.75 a head, and you get a lot.

But we did go to protaras in a gastly chinese, and it was really expensive. We do tend to keep to family run places to eat as we love ribs and steak.

I think the UK is very high for prices and hardly any food to see, where as Cypriots love their food.

just look around, food is the hi light of the night, so much to choose from.
hate supermarkets but been there seen it and yes it's a lot cheeper than the resort supermarkets.
same applies to the taverners we ate at one in Paralimni (the only brits in the place) prices were about 2/3 that of the taverna in Permera
same old story you payes yer money and takes yer choice if you want to hang around the resorts then dont moan about the prices. put yourselves out and get away from the resorts and save a bundle its up to you

brian
I agree with you Brian, we went to Parlimini and had a fabulous 3 course meal, and it was lovely because it wasnt over run with holiday makers, we were served with one of the best meals i have ever had. it was a lot cheaper too. That is the good thing about having a car, you can explore and get out of resort, it is surprising what you can find.

We are also going in August again this year after coming back from Egypt, but this year we are staying in a family run hotel thats S/C, but i shall be off to hunt out the bargain foods.
When we eat out in Protaras we normally pay about £20-£25 Cypriot pounds for the two of us,starter,main,sometimes a sweet and a bottle of wine in Nicholas Taverna which is a fantastic place to eat,all traditional food.
One of the most expensive places we thought was Perla Blue but that was because we ate Ostrich but the local stuff is cheaper.
We always eat out in Pernera at Knight bar and Sizzlers,Knights does great food and very cheap,Sizzlers is a lovely restaurant but slightly more expensive.
I don't think we have ever paid more than £30cyp for a meal in Protaras including wine,where in the UK could you get all that for the cost?.....
We went to Sizzlers twice, yes abit more dearer, but worth it.

I think the prices are reasonable :)
Last time we went to Sizzlers we ordered a bottle of Italian red wine so that bumped the price up but as you say in general the prices are very reasonable as the food is delicious,the steak with blue cheese sause is to die for.I just thought the menu was a little different from a lot of the restaurants,I think I had smoked trout for started which I hadn't seen anywhere else.
Where else is nice to eat in Pernera? we were recommended Sizzlers by one of the guys who used to work at the pool bar at the Capo Bay and Knights is next door to another guy who works at the Capo Bay and we always have a couple of nights out with him.
I have to say the food in the Corner restaurant in Protaras is nice but the staff are so miserable it puts me off!!!!.....we have said thay we are going to make sure we don't eat in their this year.
Keels

We always eat at the 'Fresh House' its the windmills side about 2 mins walk. Its all open, but has glass doors to close if it gets windy. Its family owed by Panekos, and his nephew. Fantastic menu, and service and very cheap and enormous portions.

Also like the restaurant opposite the LIVAS qapts, also in pernera, forgot the name, but great steaks. When i remember ill post.
Thanks for that I'll give the Fresh House a try,we always try and have a few nights out in Pernera,its a bit more relaxed,and great if we just want to chill.
Can't wait 7 weeks on Sunday we go,were travelling on our wedding anniversary aswell this year instead of always being in Cyprus to celebrate,will have to have a few drinks on the plane instead.
We know them really well, and have got to bring Costas the nephew a pool cue as my hubby thrashes the boss Panekos and he hates losing :wink:

I only rang him a couple of weeks ago :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.