Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Compared with pre-euro days prices to the locals in the traditionally weaker markets like Greece and Spain have risen by 30-40%. That was the cost of joining the euro from the base of a weaker currency. There is an additional hurt for we Brits due to the fall in the value of sterling. Despite all that it's still 10-20% cheaper than in England for basic eating. So if you stick to simple, traditional meals washed down with a bottle or two of Retsina (I love it - but only in Greece!) it's still reasonable value. Red & white wine and International beers are expensive now. Taxis are still OK and the bus costs peanuts (the best option). Just like everywhere else you'll get ripped off in the main tourist spots, e.g. the harbour front in Chania. I was in Athens recently and it was horrendous. Get off the main coastal strips and it's much cheaper and more authentic. It's pretty much the same throughout Euroland. My view is that for 2 weeks a year I'm prepared to spend a bit more as a reward for all my efforts in the other 50 weeks. It's a uniquely British, Dutch and German expectation that the med. holiday areas will be cheap. Those days are gone. I must admit though I'm glad I get paid in euros!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.