General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
peppapig

Make sure you advise your travel insurance about all your pre-existing conditions, including the HBP as failing to advise them could invalidate your insurance.

luci :wave
Thank for all your comments and help.My doc said I can have a short course of predisolone seeing as its just for my hols!
I nearly kissed him!
Fantastic peppapig1

Thats the only time I use them, dont need them any other time! You will really notice the difference and I'm really pleased for you - you are gonna have such a fab holiday :cheers
aww thanks Karen,thats lovely of you,to wish me a good holiday.I havent been away for 3 years,so am so looking forward to it.Just sorted my insurance out....it was only an extra £9 for the health worries,so not too bad.I prefer to be up front,you never know......
We should all be totally honest when it comes to insurance. It just doesnt pay to not be honest, can you imagine if someone fell ill, their medical treatment cost a fortune abroad and the insurance company wouldnt pay because they hadnt declared it! I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. I'm really glad youre having a holiday this year, sounds like you really deserve it. Have a great time!
Hi there guys,

Just want to say thank u soooo much for all the good advice you put up here!!

I'm going to the Carribean in September and I'm always dreading going on holiday cos of the horrific state of my skin after a couple of days in the sun due to PLE. I have previously tried most things but nothing has ever really worked. However, after looking through all these pages and "googling" my condition, I decided to get it over and done with and went to see my GP re: a course of prednisolone. I was so anxious and nervous about it because I was convinced he would say no but much to my delight he prescribed 5mg to cover my holiday stay and a higher dose of anti-histamines. I was physically shaking and felt such a relief when I came out and I am so happy!!!

I now cant wait to go on holiday and I really hope more than anything that these tablets work and I can have a rash-free holiday!!!!

Thanks again,

karen :sun2
xxxx
Oh Karen - I can totally understand what youre saying but I am soooo pleased for you. GP's are human sometimes eh! Have a great holiday - you are gonna so enjoy this one! My only bit of advice would be, dont think that because youve got the tablets you can be 'relaxed' about sun protection - you will still need to be sensible. Have a great time :cheers
Karen
thats fab Karen,you can really relax and look forward to your holiday now :)
we came back from the caribbean last week,and i didnt get the dreaded PLE ( apart from a tiny bit on one hand ?! lol)

i take betacarotene few weeks before,and during my holiday

also use SPF 30 dry oil spray

seems to work for me,as i used to get it dreadfully :(
I remember summer days back in secondary school,laying cold wet paper towels accross my arms to try and ease the terrible burning / itching :(

and i used to tan lovely without any rashes at all til i was about 9 or so <sigh>
Rachie - Where do you buy the betacarotene from?
Posted this on the sun tans/lotions thread, but meant to put it on here instead:

This thread has been really helpful - I'm now considering asking my GP for advice, as I think both my daughter and I actually suffer from PMLE rather than prickly heat. Daughter had it particularly badly last October, and as she might be going out to work in Turkey for three or four months this year, the last thing we want is for her to suffer with it again.
Coincidentally, my mother suffered really badly from it - to the extent that she even had to cover up in this country when it was sunny. Maybe it runs in the family...
Had a totally itch free holiday!! totally chilled out!
thank you for recommending prednisolone
peppapig1,so glad I just read your post,I have just been put on a low dose of Ramapril 2.5,and after reading the info that came with it I thought It wasnt worth asking my GP for Predisolone,so now I will give it a try,also did your travel insurance go up a lot more with naming the medication.
Hi
I am on 2.5 mg of Ramapril and it didnt seem to effect me,having the prednisolone too.....
I did get a bit of numbness in my lips,but I think that was more to do with the sun burning them!!
and I was very sick one night,but ...again,I think it was a mixture of too much sun,food...... and those double Baileys didnt help!!! :rofl
I booked my insurance with Atlas.They gave me a number to have medical screening first.I had to ring them back with a reference number. That was just an extra £10 but included another condition too,so it wasnt too much to pay for peace of mind.
hope this helps
peppapig1,many thanks for the information.
Hi Rachie B - whicy dry oil spray do you use? thanks
lesley,
i used the dry oil spray last year and it was great. got it at wilkinsons, is was called calypso and was only £3 a bottle. have bought lots more the other day for this year.
Hi,

I use malibu spray oils

i get mine cheaply from Home Bargains

HTH :cheers
Do these dry spray oils have 5 star UVA protection? The reason I ask is my PMLE is always worse if I dont use a sunscreen with 5 star UVA.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.