General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi me also ,just back from Turkey last week. No prickly heat at all ,it was just bliss as i had a great holiday for the first time in ages.We are going back in otober so will defo be asking the doc for some more.
Thankyou to all who have posted on this thread ,it has been so helpful :tup
Just thought I'd let u know who I got on in Thailand. Brought the prednisolone with me just in case. Was taking an anti histamine everey day for nearly 3 months before and in the week running up to holiday took piriton 3 times a day instead of the 1 a day bendryl. Anyway for 2 weeks in Koh Samui I had no rash at all. No lumps, prickling or anything. I used PIZ Buin religiously and prob went overboard with it, but it was worth it. However... when we went to Bangkok for 2 days, the first day I got it all over the top of my arm. I took the tablets straight away and it went away before the next morning.
I didn't have it the 2nd day, thank God.
Anyway I got called for my dermatologist referral and the consulant reckons I have PMLE- an allerigic reaction to the uv rays in the sun. I have to go to get light therapy 3 times per week for 6 weeks startign in Feb. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.
However I was thinking more myself. That maybe my outbreak had more to do with the very strong airconditioning in the bars/hotels in the hotels/bars, while airconditiong was only fans in Koh Samui. Thinking this could be the same when we went to Florida and I got it (very strong airconditioning) and when we went to Turkey (average air conditioning with alot of fans) when I didn't get it. Has anyone else made this sort of link?
hi
what you have is called polymorphic light eruption :yikes and it is a reaction to u.v.,,something which will help is boots soltan cream,try it and you will find it helps,quite often you can get it on the buy 2 get one free,my wife has had it for many years and she was told about soltan last year,by another sufferer on another site
I am in my late 50's and have never suffered with prickly heat....untill my last holiday in rhodes in august...I got a rash that was all lumpy from my neck down to top of my bust...it was really ichy....some one who usually got prickly heat told me thats what it was...I couldnt believe it ...after all these years ...now Ive had it ...does it mean I will always get it....or what would have triggered it off ....and do you think I need to take medication before I go away again next year to make sure it doesnt come back...will doctor give me tablets for it too take with me even though Ive only had it once..

Some one mentioned air conditioning....I am not good in the heat and have always had airconditioning...wouldnt be happy booking anywhere hot unless was available....it was very hot and I did have it in rhodes...I also had it the month before in gran caneria, which was also very hot at the time....I didnt get it in gran caneria but got it in rhodes...so am puzzled why I got it....I had aloe vera with me and used that which seemed to help
I meant to post ages ago...I treid the beta carotene tablets. Took them daily for 2 weeks before I went away and then whilst there.

Despite 16 days in, at times, a very hot camper van, with that clammy feeling that would normally spell a prickly heat outbreak..AND I didn't get one itchy bump!

Shall try it again in Corfu later this year!!
will try that sqirrelchops.....just incase I get it again....we are going later this time to gran caneria and so will be hotter this time....had it for first time last year and wasnt very pleasant :( ...tweetie
I'm so pleased that I have found this thread. The information has been very useful.
I initially thought that I had PH, but on searching this forum, I'm more confused than ever.
Is it PH, or sweat rash, PMLE or oestrogen levels.
I've suffered every time I go on holiday for the last 6 years. I had a hysterectomy just prior to this, so thought that my hormones were haywire.
The other symptom I get, which hasn't been mentioned on this forum is that when this PH (or whatever) flares up, I get very tender swollen breasts and bloatedness. Has anyone else suffered with this?
I go away on holiday the end of next month and would love to have a painful free holiday.
I have already prepared myself by taking antihistamine tablets, but I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor about getting a prescription of prednisalone, and hope this works.
I too had really bad prickly heat which spoiled most of my holidays. I got prednisilone from the doctor which i take just for holidays , i never have prickly heat now which is amazing ! hope you get on ok
I have never looked back after reading this thread and realizing after many years that I had P.L.E. and not P.H. and steroids work 100 % for me. It's surprising how many peaple I have spoken to that think they have P.H until they read about P.L.E Can't wait to go away again in June, back to Cape Verde and know I do not have to worry about avoiding the sun. Just hope the planes are back to normal!!! and Rosie I also had a hysterectomy when I was 28 years old so don't know if there is any significance Regards - Sue
Hi all

I suffer from the dreaded PLE too,I was caught in the sun last week without SPF on,and still have the itchy rash on my chest :(
those of you who have visted the GP before your holidays,do they take you seriously ? or is it a battle to get the steroids prescribed?
my doctor was very nice about it but told me it would be just for holidays he would prescribe me for because of the side effects if used for a long period. Ihave never looked back and we go to turkey in july & october with no rash its bliss ... and can now enjoy my holidays :)
I went to my doc's armed with a print out re: info on PLE but he new what it was before I had chance to show him. I only get enough steroids for my hol's too - Sue
thanks both,will see what my GP says,hopefully he will prescribe me some for hols
x
Hi all - just thought I'd let you know that my daughter, who is 14 and too young for tablets, suffers really badly with prickly heat. BUT ... then we tried Rona Ross prickly heat gel. I was a bit concerned as only SPF 15 and we normally use Piz Buin allergy 30, however, we have just been to Turkey and this is the first time she has been able to enjoy a holiday without being covered by the dreaded rash. I bought the sunscreen, body wash and lotion and it really seemed to keep it at bay. She complained the first time she used it as it feels a bit sticky, but after using it and her skin staying normal, it seemed a small price to pay. The only flare up she had was when she didn't use it one day and used an ordinary dry oil spray - she didn't do that again!!

I was so releived that something actually helped, it was horrible to see her miserable and covered with a rash, when she should have been having fun. Thought we'd have to start going on ski-ing holidays instead or staycationing (perish the thought!!). :yikes Fingers crossed that it'll keep doing the trick ... happy holidays everyone!
F45+
hilshols - where did you get that? My daughter also gets really bad prickly heat, so I'm wondering if it might do the trick for her too.
I use Esteve Espuma (foam spray) from the chemist in puertorico/ Grancanaria,
Never seen it anywhere other than there, buy a few cans and bring it home,
On the canister it also says hidrocortisona antialergica,
Its great if you are treating small areas and not wanting to take tablets.
I get it bad on my neck and chest i use the foam when dry put factor 20 or 30 over the top of it,
Great works for me.
Hi All

I used to get prickly heat every year, :( until I read somewhere, cannot remeber where, that using oil makes things worse and often the cause. Since I stopped using oil I have had no problems but always take plenty Piriton with me just in case.

Happy holidays :tup
Hi blondiscott, I got mine off e-bay, but if you google Natural Skincare UK they have it much cheaper than I paid at the moment - think I'll stock up! Good luck, hope it works for your daughter, I got to the stage where I would have tried anything! :wave:
Thank you - I will certainly look into it. We've tried almost everything else, so will give this a go...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.