Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Query
8 Posts
Hi David and welcome to HT. You will certainly find Tunisia very different to places like Ibiza but I think you woud probably enjoy it if you have a sense of adventure. Firstly, to set your mind at rest, although it is a Moslem country it is quite relaxed and alcohol is available in the hotels and many bars, though there isn't the drinking culture you will find in some places. There are severa nightclubs in the larger towns, some situated in the hotels. If you want to explore the country a little you would probably find Sousse the best place to base yourself as trains and buses go from there to many other towns such as Tunis, Sfax, El Djem, Mahdia and Sidi Bou Said, so you would be able to explore without using the services of your rep. Port El Kantaoui is only a short distance away by cheap taxi and that is a more modern purpose-built resort which some people definitely prefer.

I would suggest H/B could be a better choice than A/I, as eating out is quite inexpensive so you won't be tempted to stay round the hotel all the time. Whichever hotel you stay in you are welcome to go into most of the other hotels to enjoy the entertainment.

As you will note from the Tunisia forum there are quite a few of us who are regular visitors and have been going there for years and I'm sure someone will be able to help with any specific queries. I must be honest however and admit that I've met people who simply hate the place - horses for courses of course! For this reason I think it can be a good idea to go for a week for the first time, then if you really do love it you can go again as it's a shortish flight and relatively cheap, whereas if it isn't your cup of tea you only have a week to suffer. :roll:
You don't say what time of year you are thinking of going and should be aware that it can be extremely hot in the middle of summer. Although winters are usually considerably warmer than here in the UK, it is not a year round sunshine destination but spring and autumn are excellent times to visit.

I hope this has given you something to think about. Please don't hesitate to come back here if you need any further advice - we are all very friendly.
Thanks very much for all your help.

we have been searching for dates around early June as we are both university students so it would be after the exams. We were going to go h/b and for a week, however we have seen a holiday all inclusive for just £450 for 10 days. The hotel is Dar Khayam, in the Hammamet resort. Would this be a good place to go.

Thanks
Thanks Briar,

Had a good look through the thread (took a while ) haha. And had a look at the reviews. My heart is set on this place now, I can't wait to book it now :)
Hi David, me, my boyfriend and son LOVE the Dar Khayam, and are hoping to go for the third time next October. It does seem that you either love it or hate it there but I'd defo recommend it. If there's anything you want to know just ask!
Vikki
Booked the holiday on Friday. Going for 11 days all inclusive. fly out on June 10th. I really cant wait. For some reason when we was booking it, it was cheaper to go for 11 days than it was for 10 so we decided to do that.

Any tips or hints anyone can give me, for going to Tunisia or Dar Khayam in particular then please tell me :)
x
Hi David, I'm so jealous, although we're hoping we can afford to go back next October. The rooms at the Dar K are quite basic but they're clean and you dont spend much time in them - put your towels in the bath in the morning to make sure you get clean ones every day. The Animation team are fantastic, the best ever, we love em and if you like games/activities then you'll love it there. If you dont want to join in they dont hassle you - just say no! If you do join in it's a good laugh though, I've even taken part in some of the evening shows and they have group dances on the stage every night which is great fun. They work so hard there on such long hours. There's an indoor pool as well as an outdoor one which gets very hot, think it closes July/August so it should still be open when you get there. Despite some reviews we love the food there, it's beatifully presented and there's loads of choice, they cook some food for you while you wait too - the chef is very funny and the waiters are brill, there's also a snack bar round the pool which is open for lovely pizza and other food at tea time and at 10pm and some dinner times. The hotel is a bit out of the way although there are restaurants and shops just outside and nearby. Some people tend to forget that it is Africa and not like Europe though, obviously it is different. We've been on the camel trip which is a good laugh. The Dar K is right on a lovely beach where there are pedalos etc which you can use for free. You do get hassled to go into shops but we used to cross over or just say no, you get used to it, if you like haggling you'll love it there! They take Sterling as well as Tunisian money (dinars), the porters at the airport virtually force you to let them push your trolley and then want a tip. There's loads more I could say about the Dar K and Tunisia so just let me know rather than me going on for ages - could waffle on all day!
Vikki
Hi David, first of all i want to thank you for choosing Tunisia for your next holiday, i beleave that many cultural sites can be visited easely from the place and the hotel you choose, but for many other interesting places you have to take a long way, poeaple and buldings in the north of Tunsia are becoming very modernised with european style, if you will mix yourself with tourists in them you fill yourself in an european city in a sunshiny day.... but the real tunisian life can be more discovred in the south where people are still maintaining their traditions and welcoming, another diffrent life style with mervellouse landscape, some of them are still using the undergound houses or bedounie tentes....anyway I don't see many UK tour oprerators promoting hotels in the south to find the best price offers as you have found in the D.K hotel, so do not hesitate to contact me if you need it, i can advise you some of theme. regards from sunny Tunisia and welcome again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.