Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I can only think of somewhere like the Pine Walk in Puerto Pollensa, which has got lots of self-catering apts along it. You won't get away from children, but they are usually well-behaved, and a lot of them are Spanish there.

Otherwise look on the north coast, somewhere like Soller or Deya, but that depends what your budget is!
  • Edited by Acorncup 2005-10-05 15:44:54
The quietest place I've ever been to on Majorca is Cala Pi very small and unspoilt beach, resort mainly villas and 1 Timeshare resort (which I happen to own a couple of weeks at but participate in a rental scheme so don't advertise them as not looking to rent out). Very very quiet about 4 bars and a couple of shops. You really need transport to get to this is you want to do anything other than chill. They do rent out so runa search on such as alpha rooms if you are interested.
What time of year are you going ? Do you want it quiet in the evenings as well ?

Puerto Pollensa out of the school holidays would be nice.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Yes, how child-free do you want it to be ? May or September in Puerto Pollensa is pretty much perfect for us and we have an attitude of....our "kids" are now adults and they knew how to behave, so yours should too !
Although not an obvious choice, why not consider Calvia, a pretty county town just 15 minutes drive from Palma. It has wonderful restaurants, a few local shops and swimming pool. It's about 7 KM inland from Santa Ponsa, a lively family resort, which offers a great night-life if you fancy visiting a bar or club; it also has a very lovely beach which can get a tad busy in mid-summer but nowhere near as crowded as the resorts in the North and East. Calvia offers some wonderful hill-walking and horse riding. I'm not sure how easy it will be to rent somewhere there but give it a try. (Maybe 'Calvia Holiday Rental' on Google).

Another beautiful area is the South East, somewhere in the Santarini area, whch has beautiful beaches, including the spaectacular naturist beach at Es Trenc.

I wouldn't recommend the central Eastern resorts advertised on the tv travel channels - somewhat like Blackpool on acid is how they seem, whilst many of the buildings are past their best. However, there are some attractive places along that coast if you seek them out.

Advertising link removed as you already have an advertisment in the private rental section. luci - HT Mod

Good luck with your search. I highly recommend hiring a car to explore this wonderful island. If you're rich then hire a boat !
Try the Hotel Marina Madrid in Port De Soller, it is right on the beach and very, very nice for the price.
Or the Hotel Generoso at Puerto Soller. Right across the road from the beach and great value for money. The only drawback is the beaches at Puerto Soller are pretty hopeless. The main beach is mostly shingle and the water is contaminated with oil from the harbour, the other beach is not a lot better.
Puerto Soller is the most visited town in Mallorca during the day (therefor very busy), at night you could hear a pin drop. In fact, if you dropped a pin someone would call the police to report a disturbance. The restaurants are nothing special and over expensive in comparison with other resorts like, say, Puerto Pollensa.
The town of Soller is nice and from there you can get the tourist train to Palma.
Other than the criticism above, Puerto Soller is a nice place. On balance imho Puerto Soller cannot compare with Puerto Pollensa on any measure.

If you are looking for a real quiet place then how about....

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27717
I dont know, having been on Holiday to Pollensa and Soller on a number of occasions, I would suggest that Soller and the port are more typically Mallorquin than the international burgers, chinese and currys of Port De Pollensa nowadays. I take my wife and young kids to Port De Soller for three weeks most summers and have never found it to be as quiet as described or as expensive for that matter.

The Platja D'en Repic Beach outside the Marina Hotel is nice, cleaned every morning and night and safe for kids to play, although the other beach near the harbour is shingle and not so nice (I would describe as the second not main beach).
I'm sorry, more typically Mallorquin !
Have you walked up the top/back of Puerto Soller recently, where the Germans are building their villas and turning it into Mainz am Med ?
I recall that some of the street signs were in Teutonic script.
BTW...I come from a family that includes Germans and we visit my relatives there frequently, but I don't go to Mallorca to get the ambience of Germany complete with palm trees.
I accept that Puerto Pollensa has several Chinese restaurants and burger bars these days, but then so has Puerto Soller, I've been in them and most others in Puerto Soller and they were more expensive and not as good, both in food and service, as those I frequent in Puerto Pollensa.
The beaches at Puerto Soller are a joke in comparison with those at Puerto Pollensa and we were there in May and the "pin dropping" was not meant as a joke.
Mileage may vary is the applicable phrase.
sillot is nice playa moreia
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.