Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
I really dont know . Maybe all these DIY holidays are working out much cheaper
and people can actually book when they want to go and not fitting in with TO flights and dates.
Also another thing i have noticed is that its not that much dearer to go further a field , dominican republic, cuba , mexico, sharm el .

I personally think that the good old days of coaching to the costa Brava are coming to an end , which will be a sad loss for all .
I'd agree on the latter, which means it will be British holidays for me :cry
going to lloret for the 1st time in july hope it will be ok
there will always be a demand for coach holidays, as there are still many people who will not fly.when my partner was alive it was the only way we could get a holiday abroad, but nowadays i book DIY and travel as and when it suits me.
i think there are more people doing this now because of the likes of easyjet and ryanair, and they can now travel to different places very cheaply, so spain in general is suffering a little as people can afford to go a bit further and to places they could not afford in the past.the costa brava is suffering because people booked on the coach because it was a lot cheaper than flying for families, but now they too are benefitting from cheap flights and can go to other resorts for the same money.
i dont have to pay as much by going DIY for single supplements and get cheap flights.
i still go regularly to costa brava,i'm off to malgrat in 18 days and again in may; both times with different sets of friends.i expect i will be back in lloret as well this year.
i think another problem is that the spanish have put up their prices in the bars because of reduced numbers of tourists and that is making the prices the same as uk, if not even dearer in some cases, and the exchange rate is not helpin any of us at the moment.
You are probably right Jim, there will probably always be companies doing coach holidays to the area, however i can see them continuing to reduce until you only have one or two left, and those one or two might only concentrate on certain parts of the UK, ignoring further afield places

Also, like you say, a lot of the popularity was due to the price, but this isn't always the case now, plus the less companies that do coach holidays, the higher the prices will become, and it's a downward spiral from that i think, as the number going will further reduce. I go by coach because i do seriously not wish to fly, but there was also an appeal of getting a very reasonably priced holiday in May and September having no kids or school holidays to worry about

I still think that it will have it's day again, as cheap air travel IS unsustainable, and there is a lower carbon footprint going by coach, but i can see it becoming close to extinct before it gets a chance to grow again

Until then, it might be UK all the way for me! :(
i think we are already at the stage where there are only1 or 2 companies going to CB by coach -siesta and ferris. i iknow sunways go but their customer service is worse than you got with siesta;they dont even respond to e-mails!
i know you have had problems in the past with siesta, but when i've travelled with them they have been fine.
have you considered getting a network rail card, as you get cheaper fares and so could possibly make enough of a saving doing that and travelling to another pickup point and so take advantage of some of the deals on offer in may and september. i know that i have saved fortunes doing this, as the normal fare for me to stanstead is arouind £60, but i was paying only £27 return last year.
i know you should expect companies to provide for the whole of the uk, but s**t happens and principles sometimes have to be sacrificed so you personally can get the benefits.
Didn't know Sunways went from here, i could only think of two, Siesta and Club C

If i can pick up something decent later in the year, i won't be caring who it's with
I live on the Costa Brave and you come here in June, July and August and you can't move for holiday makers the roads are almost at a stand still and it can take you well over an hour to drive through the main high street of Playa D'Aro at almost any time of the day.

They have built many new flats where I live and still are and many of the have been sold before the first sod of earth was moved , so speaking from where I am there is no slow down at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.