Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
:fish one of my favourite places is walking on the rocks at ta ,fraben in qawra looking for crabs and lizards and evening walks watching the sun set :) -lorna
Hi Lorna, I love looking for lizards, they are soooo cool! Last year we had one live on the roof near our apartment, it used to like chocolate chip cookies! Sometimes if you are in the sea and pick up a seashell, you might even see a hermit crab!

Spinola Bay, St. Julians is a must place to go. There are some lovely restaurants and cafes nestled in the bay and it is a great place to just sit and people watch.

Pretty Bay at Birzebbugia has a really nice beach and good facilities. Handy for the bus also.
:D hi jo we too like birzebbugia ,just been looking at flats for long lets near marsascala ,love to live out there :roll: :?: lorna
Marsascala is quite nice, prefer Marsaxlokk. There is an outdoor cafe near the bridge in Marsascala, it has an enclosure next to it where you can go in and feed ducks which is quite a nice thing to do.

Have you been to Duck Village on Maneol Island, Sliema?
8) hi, not seen the ducks but when we visit our friends in floriana in july we shall go and see them ,, we will be in gozo for three weeks but will be visiting malta ,lorna 8)
Unfortunately I believe that the ducks have all been rounded up and moved to a secure area due to the risk of Avian Flu. :?
Hello all, I find a week down the Oubliette in Fort St Angelo sorts me out.

Dave
Not being a party pooper here but for the benefit of viewers wanting to see just where is recommended to visit can we keep this topic purely for places to vist and not discussions.

It just makes those looking for the information easier to follow the topic.

8) i love the perfection cafe in valletta their pastizzis are yummy , :wink: lorna
Hi Lorna, we are 101% with you on the Perfection, it has always been a nice place for a drink and lunchtime snack, we first discovered it in 1998 and have been back on each of our 15 visits to Malta, as you say very friendly staff and nice freshly prepared food every day, here is the web link http://www.perfectioncafe.com

Happy scoffing
Sliema2
hi sliema2 thanks for the link for perfection cafe :) just had a look at the menu looks abit more appetising than what i am having for lunch ,cheese salad butty , :( lorna
Hi Lorna, my pleasure, they do the best arrancinis in the whole of Malta in the Perfection.

Regards
Sliema2
Spinola bay.
Daytime or the evening I find this bay enchanting.
Have a drink or a meal outside at Paparazzi and watch the world go by. :D
I would definitely recommend a boat trip around the Grand Harbour. These can be booked almost anywhere and depart from Sliema Waterfront. The best trip to take is one in a smaller boat as you get to travel further up the little creeks and into the docks area.

Also the San Anton Gardens in Attard are a pleasant place to wander, next door is a very pleasant cafe with a couple of wallabies in an enclosure!
  • Edited by sdwill 2006-07-15 19:36:45
Rinella Fort is a place where you can spend an interesting hour or so. It's the home of the 100 tonne gun which is slowly being renovated. Full marks go to the dedicated volunteers who man the museum and carry out re-enactments of life within the Victorian Fort.

Do try and visit when the re-enactments are taking place, you can even fire a cannon or a musket yourself! Once a year they fire the 100 tonne gun and you can get special tickets to see this. All blanks of course!

Good combined with a visit to the Three Cities.

http://www.wirtartna.org/FortRinella/fortrinella.htm

Oh and Mdina too, excellent views towards the northeast from the walls, quite atmospheric, a playground for the kids and reasonably good restaurants.

Also the Citadel in Victoria on Gozo, small, but some interesting little museums tucked away in the old buildings, you can buy a ticket that allows you entrance to all of them. The prison museum was particularly interesting.

The Upper Barracca gardens in Valletta are a good place to view the Three Cities, lovely views but can get a bit crowded. Small cafe sells snacks and is a good place to visit combined with a trip to the Valletta market.

If you have kids then I recommend you should also visit Splash n' Fun. Quite pricey but a good day out and a great alternative to Malta beaches. Lots to do for small ones, clean, plenty of supervision by staff, lots of sunbeds and a reasonable cafe.

Kids would also like the Playmobil Fun park, near to the airport. Beware the shop! and pass straight through to a small outside play area and inside activities. Plenty of Playmobil to play with and keeps the children occupied for a couple of hours!

If it's raining (yes it does rain in Malta occasionally) there is an amusement arcade inside the Bay Street Shopping complex. Buy tokens and then collect tickets from the games and swop them for prizes! You need about 3,000,000,000,000,000 for anything decent but sweets and small toys are obtainable!

Another indoor attraction - you can pay to use the indoor swimming pools in many of the health clubs that can be found in the major hotels. Can be expensive but definitely an option for a relaxing couple of hours.

Just want to add Slug Pool onto this list. A small rocky bay with clear blue water near to Marsaxlokk. Can get a bit grubby if the wind is in the wrong direction but there is an interesting short walk by the coast.

:D
Ciao

Susan
Personally I love the Inland Sea, Gozo.

*Commercial website removed -Glynis*
Have just spent a very pleasant afternoon at Ghajn Tuffieha Bay. This is next to Golden Bay and can be reached from a (free) car park via steps to the beach.

There are very reasonably priced umbrellas and sunbeds, the Bay is large and sandy and shallow enough to be safe for children. There's also a small bar/restaurant with shower and toilets.

Unfortunately the sandy beach is pretty grubby but for location and scenery it's one of the best beaches in Malta (not including Ramla Bay on Gozo of course). There have been letters in the Times recently about this.

We also like Paradise Bay which is very good early in the season because it's rather small, Ghar Lapsi for snorkelling and Armier Bay for it's shallow calm waters.

Children loved snorkelling and seeing the little fish that congregate round the rocks! :D

Ciao

Susan
Off Topic
removed by Biff HT Mod
Hello all, I find a nice walk is from M-dina to Valletta via the old railway lines aways full of intrest. The best thing is its all down hill.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.