Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Red Sea Magic
287 Posts
Lynne
Take all the camera/video equipment you like, the only thing is that you have to register your videocamera with reception for the Egypt ports, not sure why but all they want is the make and serial number. There are no charges anywhere.
It'll be in the cruise news. In fact that was our bible for the week. Anything to do on that day, official wise, is usually in there.

The weather was 70's/80's but rememeber there was a breeze so it can be misleading re the strength of the sun, cover up! The tops of my ears were like crispy bacon after 4 days!

It is also wise to take a jumper or light fleece for the Petra/Pyramids trips, it can get a bit chilly as a lot of it, specially Petra is in the shade. Make sure you wear a tshirt underneath, not a vest top.

At Petra, have a look at Jeffs bookshop, got a great book full of fantastic pics for 7JD. Some people might say I should have haggled. I say its worth 7JD so I was happy to pay it!

One tip at Petra, there are no toilets till you get to the museum at the bottom, there is an attendant and he looked very shocked when I tipped him so dont bother!

Also, dont be afraid of the camel/donkey/horse guys, they are great. My lad, 16, had a chat with one of them who was 15, course he wanted our business but I think they realise that people are happy to walk down but more likely to get one on the way back. Dont be afraid, you can get one from the museum back to the Treasury for a couple of dollars. Would be worth it if its a hot day!
Obviously I'm expecting lots of walking in Petra so thats fine, but I've heard different things about what you need on your feet. What kind of ground do you walk on? I normally wear walking sandals (not fashion ones) when I'm not wearing my walking boots which I can walk miles in. I will take trainers with me if necessary but think they will be too hot form me.

Another question about life on board........what do people wear in the evenings apart from Captains night? My partner and I are thinking that it might be fun to get semi dressed up on the other nights too as we don't usually get chance to at home, but I don't want us to be over dressed on the normal nights!!!

10 sleeps to go...woohoo :hyper
My wife Tracy and I are going on the Red Sea Magic on 21st March for 7 days boarding at Safaga flying out from Manchester - we are keen on the trips to Cairo and Petra. For Cairo I see the Pyramids /Nile option is more widely reviewed than the Pyramids / Museum option etc - any reasons as to why this is more popular please ?

I am all for a sense of adventure and being from Yorkshire I like to save money too so has anyone found any more economical ways of getting from the ship to these destinations please !!

Thanks Gareth
Gareth,
I was wondering that about the Cairo trips too! I think someone said that they werent bothered about the musuem anyway and someone said that they had heard it was chaotic so chose to leave it out.

For my part I want to see the musuem (especially the mummy's room as many website say you cant come to Egypt and see the sights without seeing the people its all about!) so will include it. I've not done a Nile cruise before but I think I will leave that for now and do it another time and combine that with the Valley of the Kings sights.

I have found a tour operator called Memphis Tours that offer similar tours to Thomsons. I asked for info about a Cairo trip and they came back and said that the dates I had didn't correspond with the days of their standard trips but they could offer us a private tour, that is minibus and guide which works out same price as the Thomson's tour but with an extra stop included. The memphis tour will cost us 100 euros each to include Giza, Sphinx, Cairo Musuem and Sakkara (the step pyramid) and includes lunch and entrance fees and no obligatory stop at the papyrus/perfume musuem!!
I think we will take the chance and use them instead as the thought of a private tour might make the day a bit easier anyway because if we are finished at a particular place we can just leave without having to wait for the coach.

I'm been trying to make some enquiries about how to do Petra independantly and some people have done it by using the Thomson's shuttle into the town from the port and then getting a taxi up to Petra. You can pay for a quide if you want at Petra anyway. But I'm not so sure about this one, it seems a bit more risky although far cheaper!!

If you find anything else out let me know!!!!

Kay
Sorry to repeat an earlier question, but having given up any hope of a response from Thomson (1 website request + 2 emails + 1 letter so far ignored) thought I'd try the forum again in desperation:

Do the coaches used for the trips to Luxor, Cairo and Petra have toilets on board, or are there regular stops?

John
John - I am sure I read somewhere that there were toilets on the coach but I guess this may depend on the coach you get and perhaps even on the trip destination - Not much help I know but hopefully someone who has been will give you more information. - Gareth
Is anyone able to tell me what the entrance fees are to:

Cairo Musuem and Mummys room

Pyramids

Petra

I'm just trying to work out amounts of currency to order.

Ta

Kay

p.s. 7 sleeps to go!!! woohoo :D
petra is 21JD = roughly £20

I would seriously suggest the official tours for Egypt, especially Cairo.
Thanks Coopster...

We're definitely going to do to Petra trip with Thomsons...is the entrance fee to Petra on top of the excursion price?

Kay
The price you pay Thomsons includes everything apart from tips and anything you buy obviously.
phew thats ok then! just trying to sort out what money to take still!!

we're going to play safe and stick with Thomsons for both trips.

I recall someone writing something about the reps selling the Cairo museum tickets on the coach but at an inflated price, but maybe there's a reason behind that.

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

I am really excited about it all and I'm really looking forward to the experience! I have travelled around a fair bit over the years but this will be totally different!

Actually looking forward to the evening entertainment too!!

Guess the next think I need to do is get the cases out and pack!!

6 sleeps left :hyper :hyper :hyper
coopster wrote

.I would seriously suggest the official tours for Egypt, especially Cairo
definatly coopster

just returned a few days ago

yes there are toilets on the coaches

the trips are worth every penny,

there were 25 coaches from the ship going to ciaro,each with a guard ,we also had a fully qualified nurse on board,

the guide was great,and never left us the whole trip

i will post a more detailed report later :wave
Hi Irene

Welcome back! Glad you had a great time. Look forward to reading your review. Would you mind posting it in Cruise Reviews, link at top of the page? That way it will be kept for posterity and won't get lost among the posts in the discussion forum.

Many thanks.

luci :wave
Hi Everyone.
Only 4 weeks left until we go, we really can't wait. :hyper
Can anyone advise me on the best form of currency to take.
I have heard conflicting info, some say we only need to take Sterling, other say, it's better to change to Egyptian Pounds.
One posting says small denominations, but of what type?
Egyptian Pounds for tipping etc, but on another posting 'One British Pound'
seems a popular saying.
Can anyone please advise me, as I dont want to go and be stuck with the wrong kind of money.
:roll:
If you want to haggle, take egyptian. you can get a better deal. Although there is a limit to the amount of Egyptian currency you can take into the country - don't know what it is. They will take sterling, dollars and euros. When I went to Egypt for my honeymoon (Nile Cruise) we were able to buy stuff using a mixture of egyptian and sterling. When we went - November - the ship didn't have local currency, euros. It might have changed since.

If you take Egyptian, it's hard to get small notes from the banks in the UK.

When you get to Jordan you can get money from the ATMs. Find out the exchange rate before you go as when you get there (Friday) the banks will be closed.
Have a great time.
Karen
My wife Tracy and I are looking forward to the cruise on 21st March for 7 nights but still a little unsure what some of the trips involve ! There are a couple of trips from the ship whilst at Safaga called " Paradise Island" and another called " Sun and Sea Hotel Beach Transfer" - just not sure what these actually include in detail.Any help appreciated. Also in Aqaba is there anything to see when you take the shuttle bus trip in to town or could you actually walk it from the port ? Also the trip called "Hurghada Transfer" - likewise, has anyone just got to Hurghada by using a local taxi or bus ? Finally there are three trips to the Pyramids and Sphinx- which is the most popular please ( and why if you know ) - one trip adds Memphis, another trip adds a mosque and the Nile and the other adds Cairo Museum. Finally is my wife ok to wear knee length shorts as opposed to a knee length skirt on any or all of these trips and likewise the Petra trip. Many thanks.
This posting concerns the Spirit itself and the Red Sea rather than the cruise. I have read about the vibration but not sure how noticeable that is - any comments please - I would also be interested to read whether anyone has had any sea sickness or motion sickness on the ship whilst it has been cruising around the Red Sea. Thanks. Does anyone recommend us taking any tablets for this with us or is it a virtually no risk situation ?
Returned late last night. Had a fantastic time. Will try and answer any questions and will post a review in the cruise review section shortly.

For anyone going soon, enjoy, you'll love it!!

Kay :D
Hi Kay - I posted a couple of posts on 12th March with some queries - I have other questions too and these are - what equipment is there in the gym ? What night does the Buffet Magnifique take place? Is it easy to get a table at the Lido outdoor area ? What games are there on the Sports deck ? Also did you do any trips - we want to do Cairo and the one to Petra - what were people wearing - I want to wear shorts if possible - I will not be going in to any religious buildings - my wife will want to wear something knee length rather than full trousers. Finally what was the biggest thing you wished you knew before you went so could have planned it and what was the worsdt experience on the cruise ! Thanks Gareth
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.