Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Red Sea Magic
287 Posts
Hi Kay

Glad to hear you had a great time, we are travelling at Easter and are really looking forward to it. :hyper on 27 days left.

Can you tell me what happen on the day it was too windy to dock, did everybody stay on board (obviously if they couldn't get off), what happened to the excursions booked for that day, and where was it..
Sorry but if we cant dock to see the Pyramids, I'm swimming to shore.

Also in your last post you said the On board shop sold Duty Free, not that my husbands an alcholic but can you be more specific.

Thanks

Lynne85
The day it was too windy too dock was the day at Sharm! So those leaving had to be tendered onto dry land along with suitcases. Similarly those joining the cruise that day were tendered onto the ship. For this reason no-one else left the ship (i think one trip only went ahead) and all other trips were cancelled and reimbursed back onto our account. Luckily they changed the itinary slightly so instead of a day at sea, we docked into Sharm for most of the day.

I can't say too much about the duty free shops as I didn't buy anything, but there was alcohol and cigs available as usual. We had taken our own drink with us for the cabin although we brought most of it back!! The bar prices are not bad so we tended to have a drinks in the bars.

K
Kay - thanks for the info - you feel you can go on forever trying to find things out but I think we know a lot more about the cruise to make a safe start. I would be interested in any comments about the Hurghada airport and also any "hassle" if that is the right word from local people pestering for tips for doing nothing of any significance - a work colleague came back from Sharm recently and at that airport they were accosted by locals wanting to simply put a bag on the bus in quite an intimidating manner saying "tips" Tips"- or perhaps they were unlucky ( or over sensitive) . As for the other trips I will try and find out what the ones at Sharm involve when we are on baord - hopefully we will be lucky and we can get off there ! - Many thanks - Gareth
Hurghada airport is fine. I believe Sharm is chaotic in comparison. Yes there are locals are ask if they want help with your luggage but a firm no is enough to sort that out.
On the departure side of the airport there are plenty of shops and a few places to get a drink and soemthing to eat. I think it is one of the better airports in that respect. The duty free shops are priced in dollars for some reason.

Just one other thing to mention about Sharm. The dock gates are very close to the where the ships docks, so it is easy enough to walk outside of the docks and from there you can get a taxi into Naama Bay. We paid 90 egyptian pounds (there was 4 of us so we shared). Negotiate a price and agree on a pick up time. The taxis inside the dock area charge more although it literally is only a few minutes walk from the ship.

Enjoy!
Thanks to everyone for posting about the cruise and most recently a special thank you to Kay for the updates and specific answers - we go on Tuesday 21st so starting to pack ! Gareth
Myself and my wife are going on our first cruise - Red Sea Magic, and after reading some reviews are a little concerned about the number of sunbeds available.
Can somebody tell us the amount of sunbeds on the ship & how early you have to be up to get one!

Any other sunbed related tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
there are lots of sunbeds around the ship and unless you dont make it outside until mid morn, you will be able to get one.

Most people go for Lido deck sun area at the back of the ship, probably because its close to the restaurant and daytime entertainment!

However we were happy to go higher up and find a sunbed on one of the other decks, like by the gym or just behind it.

The quietest part is at the top at the front of the ship and as long as its not too breezy, its often quiet up there.

You are not going to get the space on board that a beach can offer, but the only really crowded part is the Lido area.
Some brief points :- great value and great weather for March. Trips - did Petra by taxi at £20 per person plus admission which worked out at £ 18 GBP or 21 Jordanian pounds - so we paid £38 each - Thomson price is £65/70 each. We did not get a meal in a hotel but set off at 09.15 am and were back by 16.30 hrs making it a much shorter day than the slow Thomson coach which was 07.30 to 18.30 for the same sights. Cairo and Pyramids/ Sphinx and Museum etc etc - again by Taxi with a guide included at £40 per person including admission to the Pyramid site and Museum ( extra to go inside pyramid and into the Mummy room at the museum) - again we set off at 9.00 am and were back by 17.30 hrs - no meal but £25 / £30 less per person than Thomsons and again no 12 hour day but we saw everything they saw and at our pace.

We were on the bottom deck of the ship in an inside cabin - it was fine for us - avoid cabins 901,903,905 and 907 as they suffer from excess engine or a large generator noise - likewise the cabins on the deck directly above these will be the same or similar. We were in 840 and that was quiet.

All our Meals were in the Lido and I put on 8 lbs in a week ! Just ate once in the Compass Rose and that was the Captains do on the Sunday night - we were automatically allocated on to the late sitting at 19.30 hrs but the earlier one is at 17.30 hrs and you effectively cannot change times to the late one as it is over subscribed. If you ask for the early one when given the late one they will snap your hand off at reception.

Show Team were superb - their shows were super - Dan the main singer is excellent. However the other musicians were not that great - passed the afternoon on the deck but they were not that good but ok in the background.The Marathon Band were the worst and the Solaris Trio could learn to look more interested. Jean Pierre the pianist was infact a Geordie - no doubt John Peter ... - he was ok but my father is a better pianist and perhaps he should ring Thomsons for a job. Did not see much of the Vadasz duo - violin and piano but they sounded ok for the few moments I heard them.

Cruise Director is Bob McGowan - comedians were Maxi Mann and Andy Rudge. If you need more details please post.

Would not recommend this cruise for children as the ship has little for them and the itinerary is equally unsuitable for any under age 12 and probably more. I think there were only about 6 children - from 2 up to age 15 - on the ship the week we were on and that was end of March.

Would definately consider the Spirit again as for the money you cannot really find a fault - if I do have one it is that the pool is too small.

Sunbeds - a bit of a scramble but ok to get one up to 9.30 or 10.00 and if it is the Cairo or Petra or Luxor day then little or no problem most of the day.

Did not do Luxor as we flew into Hurghada on the Tuesday and got to the ship at Safaga at 20.00 hrs - the Luxor trip was at 06.30 the following morning and did not fancy that so soon after arriving - I did hear complaints that the trip spent insufficient time at the Valley of the Kings.

Hurghada Airport seemed fairly ok - does not seem to be as bad as Sharm - watch out for employees who expect tips for nothing though. Outside the gents there is a sign in 5 languages saying "No tips" yet someone stands there with their hand out - I redirected him to the sign above his head - he provided no service except to block the entrance. I will tip for a service - he provided none. On arrival we queued to be given a free VISA.

If anyone posts any specific questions I will reply at some stage as I brought home mountains of information.

One final thing - the "Day at Sea" ( sunday) is being changed to an extra part day ( until about 15.30 hrs ) in Sharm el Sheikh - apparently because those that join the ship on the Thursday at Sharm cannot do any of the trips etc - note if you want to do the St Catherine's Monastery you will have to join at Hurghada / Safaga as it is a Thursday Sharm el Sheikh excursion only - to do this trip on the Sunday it would get back too late to the ship as it leaves Sharm at 15.30 hrs.

An "exclusive" for the people joing at Sharm on the Thursday is the option to take part in the passengers talent show - it is on the Tuesday night so obviously if you join at Hurghada / Safaga on Tues night you are too late to enrol. Also the on board weekly cruise DVD is filmed from Thursday to Thursday - I would in Thomson's defence point out that my guess is 75 % of the passengers change at Sharm el Sheikh.

That's all for now - but I am sure there is loads more I could write !
Thanks for the replys re - sunbeds..

One other question. Do you get a choice each day which restaurant you use for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner??

Thanks
Yes you do...you can eat wherever you like...although Siroccos the a la carte rest. charges a £15. cover charge per person.

Lx
hi, garath,
glad you enjoyed the cruise.
going on red sea magic cruise 20th april cant wait, been cruising before but jusy going to chill and catch some rays not do any trips .is there anything round the ports you dock at, can you get any alachol etc from anywhere within walking distance.
Any tips would appreciated.
weve a cabin on deck 3 or 4 any to stay clear of.
cheers
les
There is virtually nothing within walking distance of the ports! They are industrial ports. If you want your own alcohol I would suggest taking it with you, although the drink prices on baord are very much the same as bar prices.

Kay
Les

I agree with Kay that there is not alot but in fairness the two days in Sharm el Sheikh you can walk for five minutes from the ship to be at the Sharm el Mayor beach which is a public beach where you can find some watersports etc and there are toilets etc - you can also do the trip yourself for Ras Mohammed at US $ 35 about UK £ 20 which is less than Thomsons on the ship. Also at Jordan if you walk for about 10 minutes out of the port there is a public beach and infact the ship will provide you with a map of Aqaba so you do not get lost - to go to the beach you will not get lost as you can almost see it from the ship ! I would say there is pretty much zero at Safaga and likewise Port Sokhana where the Cairo trip goes from. So it's sit on the ship if I were you. I do seem to recall something about bringing alcohol on to the ship for consumption not being allowed outside your cabin but as I do not drink alcohol it made no difference to me !

Our taxi trip to Petra also included a trip around Aqaba town aswell as other local sights and to be honest I doubt you will want to over indulge in the shopping facilities ! The beach should be ok and the Royal Jordanian Air Force seems to do a display when the ship is in dock !

If your cabin is on Deck 3 or 4 then as long as you are not next door to the laundry or right by reception then you should have no problem - even if you are the problem will likely be insignificant I would say - though those around 531 to 541 may have a touch of that noise I referred to. I would say the nearer the bow you are the quieter but I cannot give you any more accurate information than that.

As for buying alcohol in the ports the ship stops at - I would say that I never saw any for sale except at the airport on the way home - even at Old Sharm Market 10 minues from the ship port at Sharm there was nothing other than tourist gifts - papyrus , jewellery, fake clothes, toy camels etc, gold coloured Tutankhamun masks etc

Hope that helps but if you think of anything else .......

Oh if you decide to buy the photographs taken by the ship photographer my advice is to ask them to save them for you at the counter as you go along and then cherry pick the ones you want on yourlast day - if you leave them out on display you will never find them again as they have so many and are permanently taking them up and pulling them down

Gareth
Hi - Are beach towels needed for the sun loungers, or are these provided??

Thanks in advance.
hi garath,
you mentioned that the beach is close to the port in aqaba,
have you the directions and is it safe to to on your own.
did you manage to go or any fellow passengers used the beach, has it got facilities and is it a good beach.

cheers les
To answer your question - they provide towels for use on the ship by the pool etc - just help yourself - you are not supposed to take them off the ship to use on the trips.

The wooden sunbeds referred to in the brochure are no longer there - they are now plastic and some are canvass on a metal frame.

Cushions are available for them at no extra charge.
Les

The beach is only 400 / 600 yards from the ship and without being sarcastic if you walk out of the port and keep as near to the sea as you can you won't miss it !! I would say it is a 10 min walk maximum. I can't see any safety risk of going there whatsoever on your own - I did mention that the ship provides a map of Aqaba and the beach is on the map so just get the one page map at the point where you disembark !

We did not go to the beach so cannot comment on it but why not go and have a look when you are there - if you do not like it you will be back on the ship less than half an hour after getting off to go and look !

I think most people stay on the ship as the toilets and free tea and coffee etc are all on hand and I guess there will be no free buffet 24 hr on the beach either !!!!!!!!!

Gareth
Cheers Gareth

More room in the cases now for the other half!
Anyone know how far the Hardrock cafe is from the ship at sharm, is it walkable? if so how long? any info would be great.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.