Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Rhodes to turkey
10 Posts
Hi, you can get a ferry or hydrofoil to Turkey from Rhodes town no problem.
Not so sure about staying a few days. I think this would have to be booked as three separate holidays. One in Rhodes, one in Turkey and then another holiday to get back into Rhodes.
Any time we have been in the greek islands, we have been told that you must return to the island you are staying on the same day you leave.

Taken from a Connaught Travel Guide to the Greek Islands by Paul Harcourt Davies.
On the subject of getting there (the Greek Islands) it says:

Charter passengers can only visit a neighbouring country (ie Turkey) for a day and not overnight, otherwise the ticket will be invalidated.
The copyright to this quoted text is acknowledged.

Andy
We went to Rhodes last year and you can go to Marmaris for the day but not sure what other trips they were doing.

Rhodes it lovely, you won't want to leave!! :)
The hydrofoil/ferry from Rhodes goes to Marmaris so i don't know how close this is to Olu Deniz.
On a day trip they give u a small card to get stamped rather than your passport as it can cause problems picking up a stamp in Turkey whilst on holiday in Greece, i don't know if this is possible for a few days visit.
Hydrofoil is the better option as it only takes 45 mins.
Book yourself in Mandraki harbour rather than through a tour operator it is much cheaper.
Hello

You can get a hydrofoil over to Fethiye in Turkey which is close to Olu Deniz, although these do not run as often as the Marmaris ones. It takes about 2 and a half hours. You need to book a return ticket ( in Rhodes Town )and confirm your return date with the Turkish boat operator 1 day before you are due to return, this is really important as they won't let you on the boat if you don't do this. Staying overnight is much more expensive than doing the day trip as you pay port tax at both ends, but its worth it to see two beautiful countries in 1 holiday.
Enjoy!
most of the trips going from rhodes to marmaris are generally booked through reps and receptionists.. as in guided tours..the trip from marmaris to olu deniz is a long drive and as you have to get back on the boat that night you won't make it..
only option is to fly to marmaris if olu deniz is what you really want to see. or save turkey for another trip
If you are going from Rhodes to Marmaris I would recommend going over on a market day. I cannot remember when it was but I am sure if you put a post on the 'Turkey' forum someone will help. I am recommending this as there are lot's of bargains to be had. I love Marmaris and Icmeler. Go for it. We had a fab day out there.

The crossing was good too. I expected to be feeling sick. BUT nothing.

ruth24s
If you do decide to go to Marmaris, you then have at least a two hour journey to Fethiye and that would be in a taxi. If travelling by bus, allow 2 and half to three hours and then another half an hour for the dolmus to Olu Deniz. It really isn't possible in a day.

If you stay overnight in Turkey you will be asking for problems when you seek to re-enter Greece. They do check the passports when you come in from Turkey and you will have a visa stamp giving the date of entry and exit to and from Turkey. It is possible they will not allow you back into Greece!

It's not worth the risk. You can however do it the other way around and stay in Turkey and then spend a couple of days in Greece because they don't have the same rules. If staying in Olu Deniz, you can get the hydrofoil from Fethiye to Kos. It takes an hour.
has hit the nail on the head, that was what i was trying to say about immigration.. if you want rhodes and olu deniz then need to stay in rhodes and then go to turkey and fly out of there and tailormake your holiday from the internet, not sure if there any t/o out there that would be able to do this for you
As far as I know, the official position is if you take a charter flight to Rodos you are only allowed a day trip to Turkey. If you have arrived in Greece on a scheduled flight such as to Athens and then taken the ferry to Rodos, then to Turkey there is no problem in staying in Turkey as long as you like, and then returning to Greece.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.