Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Millie,

nothing to be apprehensive about - you are going to a fantastic resort.

i have stayed at the other 2 hotels (the mambo and the merengue) and had a fantastic time on both occasions. We of course used the facilities of the Bachata a lot as well. Personally, I felt it had the best pool (more loungers and sun shades). We also preferred the buffet restaurant at the bachata as it was the only one that was air conditioned.

As it is a stay at one, play at three resort you can eat or drink in any bar and restaurant. the only condition being that you must eat your evening meal at your home hotel. We often spent a very pleasant evening at the pool bar ar the bachata which is away from the main bar and entertainment so it was very quiet and relaxing. if you want a drink after midnight you have to go to the disco which is located inbetween the Merengue and the mambo. Another point is if you get late night munchies, the pool snack bar at the Merengue is open after midnight for fish and chips, burgers etc.If you have any specific questions about the resort just ask.

As for trips, the newly opened Ocean World is getting great review. You can either swim with Dolphins or do a dolphin encounter. You can also do an encounter with sea lions or sting rays.

If you want to see a bit of the DR way of life, you coulf try the Dominican Discovery. i think they take you to a rum and amber factory, a local school, a typical house and them swimming and boogie boarding at a great beach. If you like snorkelling you could so to paradise island - which is basically a large sand bank in the middle of the ocean. The snorkelling is wonderful and the water crystal clear, but it does take a while to get there.

Tracy
Thanks for all your help Tracy, was also getting a bit confused over the tourist cards/visas, didn't realise they were even the same thing!

Sounds fantastic though, you've helped to put my mind at rest. How many times have you been out there, are you due to go again?

Millie.
Mille,

I've been to the Dom Rep 5 times so far and trips numbers 6 and 7 are already booked!

We're going to the Iberostar Dominicana on the East coast in september and then in may 2005, we're heading back to the North coast and staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.

We just love. We've going to other places but keep on heading back to the DR. It's certainly the best value caribbean holiday you can get.

Tracy
I second the paradise island trip - it really is fantastic - it was also my first trip to DR (and the Caribbean also) and I had a fantastic time. I have been to other Caribbean countries since and have yet to see anything so idyllic and peaceful as paradise island, including the Tobago Cays!

There is also another trip that involves climbing the waterfalls and then sliding back down them (don't worry they are not huge). Then you get taken into a typical village (very poor - take hair bobbles, toothbrush / toothpaste for the kids, as well as sweets although you get told not to take sweets!) and from there onto some stables where you can go horse-riding - very informative and a nice day out.

Am sure you will have a fantastic time - have seen a few of the Riu hotels whilst picking people up for trips at various places and they look of a very high standard so enjoy.

Remember to take some small change US Dollar notes for tips for tour guides!

SAM
Wow Tracy, guess you must like it in D.R with all those visits! Are the Iberostar hotels your fav?

Thanks for the info too Sam, have heard about the trips to the real part of the country and seeing all of the children, will take lots of treats with us if we do that trip.

So now i can relax about the holiday itself, it'll just be the 9 and a half hours on the plane to conquer!!!
Millie - I stayed Iberostar Costa Dorado and was very impressed with it - I think the Riu / Iberostar chain are on a par with each other and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of those hotels any where in the world.

Don't worry about the flight, its not as bad as you will be thinking, it passes soon enough. My boyfriend HATES flying so I booked the Dom Rep holiday THEN told him about it and he was not happy. Anyway he survived and has travelled long haul a further 3 times since then!

Have a great time! :D
Yes the plane is the worst bit - but just look at it as 9 hours of discomfort and boredom for 2 weeks of fun, sun and rum !!

We do love the DR. Mainly because it provides such good value for money that we can go away 3 times a year for the price of 1-2 other caribbean holidays. We do go to other places - we went to mexico in May and are going to the maldives at Christmas, but we always try to fit in one annual trip to the DR to make the most of our annual travel budget.

The Iberostars are our current favorites, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to a Riu again - we just happened to get really good deals at the Iberostars and as we've been to them and loved them, we thought we stick to them (for a while anyway).

Tracy
Well, i've done a few short haul flights, Turkey, Cyprus, Crete etc, my boyfriend has only done about 2 hours before to Spain. We have paid for extra leg room seats as he's around 6 ft in the hope that it will make the flight more comfortable. We're flying with Brittania, do you think these seats will make a difference?

We did get a good deal for our holiday, was originally looking at Tunisia until the travel agent pointed out this one.

Still can't believe it's all booked!!! :)
With him being so tall you will definitely benefit from the extra leg room, well he will!

I am only 5'4 so I never find travelling on planes as cramped as probably others do and with my boyfriend I always feel that he can like it or lump it, ha ha!

You will get 2 meals on the plane, one hot and one cold, there will be a couple of films to watch and other tv entertainment in between!
Ha, ha, your poor boyfriend! Mind you though, it is probably all the women who book the holidays :lol:

Better take some extra munchies and books etc to help pass the time. Might have to do some people watching too! Only downside of the extra leg room seats is they are usually right by the loos, the flight for us will pass quickly with all them going backwards and forwards! :?

I love these little smilies now i've worked out how to use them!!
On Brittania there are two ways of getting extra legroom :

1 If your flight has "Premium seats" they are in a seperate cabin at the front of the plane.

2 Otherwise ( on flights without a Premium cabin ) it is possible to book extra legroom seats ( exit row or bulkhead ) by contacting Brittania directly and paying the extra.

You will both appreciate the extra legroom especially on the overnight return flight.

Enjoy DR and do go out and see the countryside and the people, the Jeep Safari is especially recomended.
We visited the Merringue a couple of years ago at christmas time and it was FANTASTIC :ghug

You are going to have a great time - we couldnt fault it.

The staff cant do enough for you and the food is fantastic

We now have a 1 year old son and have just booked to go to spain - we were on ages deciding on a hotel as our next holiday will have a lot to live up to!!!!!

Seven weeks til we go and I cant wait - when our son is a little bit older (gets a seat on plane) we will definitely go back.

Have a lovely time :lol:
New User - So Hello Everyone.

I will be travelling the Dom Rep in August. At the moment I've found this site a great help, to help me a little more, could anyone let me know what the score is with Visa's?? Also if anyone could let me know what the rooms are like at the Riu Bachata - I will not 'mention' 'the bug' as I'm hoping by August it will be none existent.
Hiya

Get your visas ( tourist cards ) when you get there. Just wave $US10 per person and get your cards in the arrivals terminal.

Don't bother to fill them in they are not interested they just want your cash.

Keep them safe as you have to give them in when you leave. You also have to pay $US20 per person to leave.

Enjoy

Scubaman
Many Thanks Scubaman,

Joe
No probs Joe

If you have broadband you can watch video of the Bachata on :

http://www.thomson.co.uk/po/index.jsp?ito=1554

just select the video option and input Dom Rep and Bahia Maimon

Scubaman
The rooms at the Bachata are quite lovely. We had a ground floor room which could have been a bit brighter, but having said that it was in the shade most of the day, so kept nice and cool. The standard of cleanliness is second to none. How they manage to keep the floors so free from sand and grit, I'll never know!!
Transferred from a separate topic:

toonarmy
New User...
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:29 pm Post subject: The Dreaded 'Bug'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Does anyone have an update on the 'bug' in the Riu bachata

Joe
Transferred from a separate topic:

domino
New User..
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:33 pm Post subject: Dominican Republic .......sickness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are probably SICK of hearing about this, but I really need to speak to people returning from the Riu Bachata. Our family went there May last year and had a wonderful time, and as we can fly direct from NCL this year, we are booked to go again at the end of May. Please let me know your views if you have recently returned ie mid April onwards.

I reallly do not want to change hotels as the Bachata is great. Is the illness just in the area of Bahia Maimon? I have had loads of replies from Thomson, but I want to hear from the people that really matter.......the holidaymakers!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.