Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've been to Bavaro but stayed at the hotel next door - the Iberostar hotels. The Rius and Iberostars share the most beautiful strech of beach in Punta Cana. The sand is like white powder and the sea a gorgeous turquoise colour. There are no man made sun shades on the beach but there are plenty of palm trees which provide ample shade - just watch out fot falling coconuts!

When you stay at any of the Riu's in Punta Cana you can use the facilities of any of it's sister ajoining hotels (the Taino, the Meloa or the Naiboa- you can't use the Riu Palace unfortunately). I have stayed twice at the Riu hotels in the north of the Dom Rep and you can eat breakfast, lunch and snacks and drink at any of the hotels bars but you must have dinner at your own hotel. On your first night you will be given a dinner table that will be yours (for dinner only) during your entire stay and you must choose either a 6.30 or 8.30 dinner sitting. That doesn't mean you have to be there at those times (you can eat an hour after if you like), it's just so the whole hotel doesn't turn up for dinner at the same time.

Bar are i think open to around midnight but you can get drinks after that at the Disco - which is included. You will also have an inclusive mini bar in your room with beer and soft drinks plus optic dispensers with Rum, vodka and whiskey.

The Riu hotels are wonderful - great staff, service and food. Great value for money.

As for trips in bavaro, I have been on the Saona Island trip - you go out to the Island on a large catamaran, have a BBQ lunch and come back in large speed boats. About half way back you stop at the nature pools - which are over half a mile from shore but you are only waist deep in water. You will see loads of huge starfish and are given rum and cokes in the water - drinks are included all day long.

Other trips are the Bavaro Runners tour - a general Dominican discovery tour, the Manumarium trip - kind of like Soana with a Catamaran but you get to swim in an enclosed pen with Nurse Sharks and Rays.

I believe you can also do a tour on quad bikes or a helicopter rides along the beach - out to the shipwreck which ban be clearly seen from the beach at the hotel. You should expect to pay around $75 per person for all trips - a bit more for the helicopter rides I think.

Hope this helps - I am off to the Iberostar hotels agin two weeks today and hope it is going to be as wonderful as it was last time.

Tracy
I stayed at the Riu Bambu in May this year and really enjoyed it. The hotel itself is lovely and clean and the site isn't too big walking wise (although we were in the block behind the Mama Juana resturant which didn't have a wonderful view but had easy access to everywhere)

ROOM
The room was a extremely clean and looks exactly the same as the Thompsons brouchure picture! We had towels made into swans and flowers on the bed or in the bathroom everyday. The sheets appeared to be changed most, if not every, days and there was always loads of clean towels. The bathroom had a wonderful shower that was really powerful and didn't go cold at popular times of the day like some do (the hotel was full when I was there) which was very nice! There's is a reasonable hairdryer in the bathroom and bottled water is provided daily. There are optics and a minibar in the room that is refilled on alternate days, if you want the optics swapping for different spirits or more drinks for the mini bar reception organise it for you within minutes (however the coke or beer arrives warm so it's best done on the day before!)

RESTURANTS
The Colonial is the main resturant. On arrival they ask you to choose a sitting then allocate you a table that evening for dinner, it is only dinner where you have to sit there, there also tables outside on a verranda that are first come first served each evening. Breakfast is excellent, there's massive choice and everything was fresh and well cooked. As it opens at 6am-ish it is there before you go on some of the trips. You book for the al-a-carte resturants in the morning in the dining room by fruit and juices, there wasn't a queue and we always got in when we wanted.

Dinner was really good, a large choice and without fail the food was excellent. There is wine and beer, sometimes the waiters served it sometimes you got your own from the drinks station.

Mama Juanas is a self service, pool side resturant, it is open from 11 ish until about 5pm, serves continental breakfast then lunch. The food was great.

The al-a-cartes were in Mama Juanas in the evening. We went to the steakhouse, the mixed grill on a minature table bbq thing for two was absolutely wonderful.

Overall I found the food to be excellent and was never disapointed.

ENTERTAINMENT
They have the usual animation crew, but I felt they were better than the ones I have experienced before. They encouraged but didn't pressurise you to join in the activities! The evening shows were really good, although we used to miss some of the childrens show because we were on second sitting for dinner (neither of us have children and as a rule I am not very keen on them(!) but we absolutely loved the shows.) There were quiet a lot of children of loads of nationalities and they all had a brilliant time, it was a pleasure to watch. The main shows were some of the best I've seen in the DR and although cheesy at times we loved them! TIP If you arrive late and there appears to be no seats go right down to the front to the comfy chairs, there was always space, don't bother with the raised outdoor bit the view is dreadful.

There are two bars by the shows, one shuts after the show the other stays open whilst there are people drinking.

There is a childrens club that has really fancy looking little buildings and playgrounds. i don't know what it's like but it looked good!

Carribean Street is in the furthest of the Riu hotels. It is a nicely decorated street with shops, if you need toiletries etc go here rather than the lobby shops it's much cheaper. There is a carnival in carribean street weekly, there is food and drink stands and it is decorated up with palm leaves and the like. I found it a bit disappointing. The disco is on Carribean Street, didn't go there so I don't know what it was like.

The beach and pool were both lovely and very clean, we tended to go on the beach. Never had difficulty getting sunbeds or shade. Sea was lovely and wavey, but not rough.

We only went on one trip, which was to Saona. It was £70 through Thompsons and worth every penny, a fabulous day. There was long drive to a 70's built Italian village (apparently Micheal Jackson married Lisa Marie there(?)), then down a very steep and scary path to the river and onto a Mississippi steam boat, lots of rum and coke and pineapple, transfer to speed boats and the rest as Tracy said. The catamaran was wonderful on the way back. The helicopter ride back to the airport looked very good value, but I forgot to book it!

It was a lovely holiday and I know you will have a brilliant time. Hope this has helped. We've booked for Secrets Exellence for May 2005 can't wait!
Thank you both for your wonderful replies! It sounds like a beautiful hotel and definately can't wait to go. There is 12 of us going so hopefully we should all have a great time. My husband and I are definately thinking about going to Saona as my mum has said that she will look after the children horay!

Thanks again
Sam
Before you book, have a look at Portland Direct at
http://www.portland-direct.co.uk

I have stayed at 2 Riu hotels previously, and agree that they are fantastic.
When I looked at Portland, couldn't believe the price for Riu Palace Macao, so we've booked for next May. Price is better than other brochures for Riu Bambu!
Roger
Thanks Roger! We did look at that hotel but it did say it's more for couples and the more mobile and as there will be two children and a couple of the less mobile in our group we decided on the Bambu. It does look a beautiful hotel though and I will definately have a sneak around!

Thanks again Sam
I went to the Bachata a couple of months back and had a wonderful holiday. However because of the sickness that is there now (still unresolved) would not book to go back....yet. I am now thinking of booking for the Riu Bambu, Punta Cana. Does anyone know how it compares with the Bachata. Although it is still part of a large complex, I have noticed that it is the only "Club" hotel and the Palace hotel on this complex is not open for use to the other hotels. Is there enough to do at this resort? As I am booking for a large group of people I have the responsibility of pleasing everyone. Our ages are from 8-74 years old. Any info would be appreciated, ie. location, excursions, entertainment etc...thanks a lot!
We stayed at the bambu in Nov last year. There was a group of twelve of us ages ranging from 4 to 82. We all had a truely fantasic holiday. My two kids were 6 and 4 at the time really enjoyed everything about the holiday especially the entertainment. My Nan the 82 year old really enjoyed it and is still going on about it now. My parents who also came have also stayed at the Bachata in 2003. They fell in love with the bambu and both of them said that they prefered it to the Bachata, especially the beach you definately can't beat the white sand! If you love the riu's I promise you will love this hotel. Even though you can't use the Palace you can still use the other three hotels. Which all have nice pools and it's great that you can eat and drink at these hotels as well. There is plenty to do around all the hotels especially with all the entertainment going on.
If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to help.
Sam
Thanks Samsung, Is the Bambu actually in the Caribbean Sea or the Atlantic Ocean. Is the water warm and calm.
Must admit that it wasn't very calm when we were there but we had some pretty awful weather. It is like walking into a bath though. I wouldn't say it is as rough as the north but I'm sure others may say different.
Sam
Do you have to picking a timed sitting in the Bambu Buffet restaurant? I really dislike this idea. I like to just turn up when I want to.
They do ask you to pick a sittinf either from 6.30 till 8pm or 8.30 til 10pm. We always went about 7pm beacause they have a mini disco for the kids which they loved! Don't be put off.
Sam
I loved the bambu and are thinking of going again maybe Dec. Meal times were 6.30pm till 8pm or 8.30pm till 10pm. We had the earlier sitting as we have two kids and the mini disco starts at 8pm. We really enjoyed the entertainment and the animation team are fab! Best tip I can give you just enjoy which I'm sure you will. Any other questions just ask.

Sam
We want to take our 2 kids to stay at this htel next july but keep being told that as one child will be 13yrs old (other 11) that we cannot all share a twin bedded room 'cos she pays adult price! :shock:

Firstly I think this is totaly ridiculous and secondly I am not sure about booking 2 rooms as how can i guarentee both rooms will be next to each other? As she is classed as adult will they let kids stay in room on their own? :?

Hubby refuses to pay 4k only to spend 2 weeks in different room to me! :x

Also Have been told this is thomson exclusive in uk. Does anyone know any websites that would sell the hol cheaper than the thomson site???? :?:
Hi Bubba, I have exactly the same problem as you... my eldest son turned 13 in July and is now classed as an adult in most hotels therefore we have to have 2 rooms. I haven't as yet found a TO that will guarantee that the rooms will be next to each other and until I do I won't be booking anywhere! Like you, my partner refuses to pay out so much money for a holiday if we have to sleep apart and maybe even be on opposite sides of a hotel!
There are a few places out there that allow us to share a room, but they are mainly in Kenya and not the caribbean. Thomas cook also will allow us to share a room but every holiday I have priced with them so far has been more expensive for 1 room than Thomson are for 2!
Will let you know if I have an luck in finding somewhere in the caribbean that doesn't have this ridiculous rule!
Ellie
My husband and I stayed at the Riu Bambu in Feb 2004 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is on the east coast of the Dominican which is still the Atlantic coast but the water is usually quite calm and warm. The beach here is absolutely beautiful. We have also stayed several times at the Riu's in Puerto Plata and would just advise that there is a greater distance between the hotels at Punta Cana. As you are unable to use the Riu Palace, the next hotel is the Riu Taino about a 10 minute walk. Entertainment at the Taino and Naiboa hotels takes place in a air conditioned bar rather than outside as at most other Riu hotels. The Riu Bambu is more modern than the other hotels in the Complex.
There are still sittings for dinner at this hotel, we booked the 6.30 sitting and usually arrived for 7.00-7.15 and would say that having the different sittings does tend to avoid the lengthy queues we have sometimes experienced at other Riu hotels when you come at any time and half the resort turns up at 8.00. Hope to visit this hotel again early next year
Bubba,

We booked for the Bambu through Sky Travel not sure of the web site but if you go to sky.com there is a list of links where you will find it. I would ring them though as you will get more info on the rooms. Failling that have you thought of e-mailing the bambu to see what they would say about the rooms, just a thought. It is a fantasic place. I hope you get it sorted.

Sam
Any information would be gretly appreciated on the Riu Bambu in Dominican Republic! we are looking to go early November and are a little worried what the weather would be like / things to do in Dom rep etc!

We had a fantastic holiday at the Riu Tequila in Mexico and wanted to try and match it!!

Any info would be great!

:)
What sort of info are you looking for :wink:
well were a couple in our late 20's and looking for a place in the caribbean with fab weather November time, not too lively but at the same time not too quite! the Riu Tequila in Mexico was fantastic last June, we loved the Riu hotel.
We did a few trips but im not really into watersports but we loved visiting historical places, white sandy beaches and seeing the Island. Were moving house down to Devon this year but cant go the year without a holiday! so we've opted for November but bit worried weather-wise as never been away at that time of the year before? i had heard that Dominican Republic was reasonably priced place for the carribean and was reccomended the South / South East of the island for the white sandy beaches. We want to definatly stay in a Riu hotel as we were so impressed last year. The only other place was Jamaica but had heard mixed reviews!

:)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.