Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
We're staying at the Riu Garopa in October, so sorry we won't see you there ;)

Hope you have a great holiday, the hotel looks fantastic. Look forward to reading your review on your return. :sun2
We have just returned (April 1st) It depends what you are looking for in a holiday. It is a very barren island where the reps say only hire a car for a day as there isn't much to see or do. The hotel is nicely situated on the beachfront, food in buffet restuarants very good, food in some of the speciality restuarants not so good. Everything is included in the A.I. package even bottled water, the staff NEVER use measures when pouring the spirits either ! Pool was very cold but had plenty of sunbeds around it (Anything put out to reserve a sunbed before 9am is removed by the pool attendents) Weather was quite sunny most of the days and any cloud was blown away by lunchtime, downside was the wind. It was fierce somedays and people had to come off the beach. Most of the time the red flag was flying for no swimming too. Only big minus about the holiday overall was the evening entertainment - It was truely cringe worthy. Rather large bloke from Belgium miming as Danny from Grease, men dressed up in nappies pretending to be babies, Miss Riu Funana/Garopa night and other assorted offerings. If you need anymore info feel free to P.M. me.
Hi Liverpool Lou

Thanks for the info. Would you go again?

We are just looking for a mega chill out holiday, so it sounds like it will be fine for us.

Bet the Germans do not like the fact they cannot reserve the sunbeds LOL!!

Did your mobile phone work whilst you were there?

Hopefully the pool will be a bit warmer by the time we get there.

Will pm you if I think of anything else.

Cheers :sun2

Nicki
Would I go again ? Yes because of the weather and good prices for the A.I. package. Our mobiles both worked out there (triband and quadband) but they won't send picture messages as Cape Verde telecoms isn't that mod. My phone (samsung) would send the text message fine and then try to send it again straight away but would then say message failed so then I'd just cancel message. Everything I sent was received o.k. though.
Forgot to say there is a nice reading room with loungers in the spa area that you can use free of charge and you can also use the jacuzzi and sauna free of charge until 4pm. After 4pm it must be booked. Didn't have any treatments myself as I wanted to make the most of the sun.
Thomson flight was very good - plane in a 2-4-2 seating so we pre booked our seats to get a set of two in the front section that is just behind the premium section. Choice of movies etc that you can upgrade to the premium package for a fiver too.
Cape Verde airport can only really handle one plane load of passengers at a time and seating in VERY limited, small duty free shop that is more expensive than the plane and a snack bar with half a dozen tables. As you check out of the hotel get a bottle of water to take to the airport with you as you don't have to pass through x-ray etc and give it up until you are called to board your plane.
Have you sorted your entry visas through the Thomson website yet ?
Lou

Thanks for all the info and tips - very much appreciated.Thanks especially for info on mobiles - bit of a text addict - so am suitably reassurred.

Sorted visas through website - which was really easy to do. Also paid for an extra 5 kg of luggage allowance - am absolutely rubbish at packing and always get charged excess baggage! Did not prebook the seats - will probaby live to regret that.

Did you do the quad biking? I am sure my husband will want to do that.

Were there a fair amount of other Brits there at the same time as you?

Regards

Nicki :sun2

Nicki
Great that you have done visa through website, it makes it so much quicker getting through immigration when you arrive, they will just stamp your passport and then you have 48 hours to pay your 25euros per person to the Thomson rep. If you fail to do this you are charged 150euros each on exit at the airport :yikes
We didn't do the Quad bikes as I have a bad neck/shoulder but we did speak to others who enjoyed it. We booked to go into local village and to see local school (we took pens, pencils etc as they are very grateful for any supplies) but the school was still on Easter hols so the trip was cancelled at the last minute so the reps said they would pass them onto someone else on the trip this week to give to the children.
Yes there was at least half the plane at the Funana/Garopa so plenty of Brits. Don't worry if you come out of the airport to get your coach and it's only a 12 seater mini bus - they run them as well as the 52 seater coach to save people waiting as the immigration queue can take a while to get through.
Can't wait to hear how you get on....enjoy. It's back to work on Monday for me.
Hi Lou

Thanks again.

Got 9 more working days before we go, husband home on the 18th - picking him up from Heathrow early evening - so a manic weekend before we go.

Will definitely take some stuff for the school.

Just thought of some more queries ......... soz to be a pain ........

Did you just take Euros? Did you spend much? What did you do about tipping?

Temperature wise - what was it like on an evening - did you need a jacket/cardi/fleece?

Nicki
No problems Nicki,
Yes we just took euros, everything is priced in euros and they are taken everywhere.Hardly spent anything though as our trip was cancelled, just hubby's 5 dives from Scuba Caribe on the beach.
Have just got my price list out I brought back and the Dune Buggy Safari is 45 euros each (Book very quickly though as they only have 7 dune buggys on the whole island !) A half day sailing on the catamaran is 32 euros each and trip to village and school is 25 euros each. A taxi from reception to the village is 3 euros each way, the rep told us to walk down either of the 2 streets adjacent to the main street - same shops but much less hassle from the shop keepers.
Yes you do need a cardi on some evenings but not all of them so I wouldn't go mad and pack loads.
Nobody seems to tip, we left something for the room maid as we chatted to her and she made our towels up into swans etc.
Lou

Thanks - once again.

The prices of things to do was very much appreciated.

Did your husband enjoy the diving? Did he get to see much? - my husband will no doubt be doing some diving. Any idea if it is worth taking our snorkelling kit with us?

Just read on tripadvisor that to be able to do the dune buggy experience you have to take your driving licence with you - so must ensure we remember do that.

Did you utilise facilities at both the Funana and the Garope or did you just stick to the Funana?

Thanks again.

Nicki
5 dive package was 170 euros (he had most of his own gear with him) I think it was 4 euros per item per day to hire equipment. If your hubby shows his PADI card at airport check in you get an extra 5 kilos free in hold baggage. He did a couple of wreck dives and the rest were reef dives with the usual assortment of lobster, moray eels and fair sized quite colourful fish. The first dive is an afternoon check dive which goes at 1.30pm, the other 4 dives went at 8.30am (don't worry breakfast is served from 7.30am) and were 2 tank dives that got back about 12.15 which is quite nice as it meant I wasn't sat around for ages reading on my own. He says it's not worth taking snorkel gear for the local beach as the waves are far too rough, would be handy if you went out on one of the catamaran trips though.
Yes we used both hotel facilities, The Asian restaurant is on the Garopa side, there are also a few differently stocked shops on the Garopa side (nicer choice of necklaces and a little shop a bit like "Lush" selling all nice bath, soap and candle type things) The main buffet restaurants in both hotels serve exactly the same food so we stayed on the Funana side for that.
Make sure you go to the "Leaving" meeting at the end of the holiday as they issue you with more immigration forms you need to hand in at passport control when leaving the Island.
Thanks Lou

Your help & advice has been really appreciated.

Cannot think of anymore questions at the moment - however I may have some more over the next few days.

Have just emailed the hotel to ask if we can be in a quiet area as my husband needs rest & recuperation - so would not appreciate being over a nightclub!!

Hopefully they will respond to my email.

Thanks

Nicki
No don't worry all the 5 bedroom blocks are well away from the night club (it's up a set of steps opposite the central stage area) and even when sitting outside in this area no noise could be heard from it so it must be well sound proofed.
We were in block 5 which is furthest away from Reception (don't worry they bring your luggage down by golf cart and collect it again at the end of hols if you ask) and also furthest away from restaurants BUT it is closest to the beach and right opposite the swimming pool. There is a lovely tree/plant lined flat path to reception/restaurants that is well lit at night and it is only a 5 minute stroll along to get to them. At least in block 5 no one has to pass your block to get to any others (not that we heard any rowdy guests) There is also an armed guard on duty at the locked beach gate at night and armed security men patrol the grounds day and night.
Hi Lou

Thanks again!! If they email me back, I will ask if we can have a room in block 5.

I read somewhere the bedroom & bathroom are 'open plan'??? Whatever does that mean .................? Cannot imagine anything worse?!! Although it has probably (hopefully) been badly described.

We are in Wiltshire - have just opened the curtains and it has been sleeting - will be so glad to get to some warmth. Went to Nuweiba for Xmas so am beginning to get withdrawal symptons. Two weeks tomorrow and we will be at the airport. :sun2

Nicki
Mmm..the bedrooms and bathroom are sort of "open plan". When you open the door from the corridor you are directly in the bedroom (Huge bed - bigger than king size, usual bedside cabinets and a couple of sets of drawers and luggage storer, plenty of space for clothes that can be folded away) then to the side of the bed is an open archway this is the handbasin with mirror area and wardrobe area (the wardrobe is an alcove with an african beaded curtain - lots of hangers and floor space for shoes etc. The safe is also in the floor area) Off this area you have the loo (with door !!) and shower(with curtain) The shower is quite enclosed in the "wall area" and then has the curtain and a deep step so the floor etc stays dry and you can have a decent shower without bashing elbows etc.
We are on The Wirral and have had a sprinkle of snow...not enough to get excited about though, so hopefully I'm in for a peaceful day in work tomorrow !
Cheers Lou

Soo glad the toilet has a door on it!! Everything else is manageable.

Hotel has not as yet emailed me back - hope I get to hear from them soon.

Were the staff ok with speaking English?

Is it possible to get fresh fruit juice drinks?

Do the sunbeds at the pool and the beach have mattressses?

Nicki
Most of the staff speak very good english, the only place on the hotel complex that we found where the staff didn't was the "Cabo Verde" speciality resaurant. Even the staff at the airport speak very good english. The official language of the island is a Brazilian based portugese.
The sunbeds on the beach don't have mattresses but the sunbeds around the pool do -you collect them yourself from a central stack by the "clean towel hut" A lot of the white plastic "slat" type loungers are broken, try to get some of the newer canvas covered ones and put a mattress on top. There are plenty of thatched brollys for shade but beware - some of our European neighbours from across the channel are not too hot on sunbed etiquette and will come along late in the day and just push other sunbeds up to get theirs in exactly where they want it :really
Fresh fruit juice is available from the self service pumps in all the restaurants and from the bars. The beach/pool bars open at 10.30am.
Hi Lou

Following you comment about paying 25 euros in resort within 48 hours I contacted the TO who booked our holiday - I got the following email off her today - am now very confused -or did you book your hol before Mar 07?

Applying for a Cape Verde visa
British Citizens travelling to the Cape Verde islands require a passport that is valid for a minimum of 6 months upon their return to the UK and an entrance visa.

The visa fee of Euros 25 is included in your holiday cost. Please note this only applies for bookings made from the 22nd March 2007. For bookings made before the 22nd March 2007 the visa fee of Euros 25 will be collected in resort by your Thomson Representative. However it is essential you register your passport details with us so that we can process the visa application for you. Should you fail to do this, you will be asked to pay for a visa on arrival and you will not be able to claim the cost back from us.

Visa application for the Cape Verde Islands

On arrival in Cape Verde your passport will be stamped. There is no need for you to approach the 'Visa Application' desk at the airport, please proceed directly to passport control. If you have been notified or are aware of any changes to your flight number, timings or date of travel, then please re-submit your details.

If you are a non-British citizen please contact the Cape Verde Consulate direct for information on visa requirements.'

Two weeks today we will have spent our first night there!!

No email back from Riu Funana.

Take care

Nicki
Hi Nicki,
yes we usually book about 15 months in advance so we would have booked before March 07. We had to register details on Thomson website and pay them in resort (I also had booked hol on internet)
Yes two weeks today you'll be getting ready to go to your first night dinner etc....I'm on count down to half term and a week in Minorca - 32 working days to go :sun2
Hi,

I am going to the Riu Funana in 18 days, and was just wondering about the 'nightclub.' Is it actually a nightclub as we know it, and what time does it close? Also, what time do the other bars close in the evening?

Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.