Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Flight times are:-

TOM8787
0710dep STN arrive 0810 MAN
0920dep MAN arrive TFN 1325

Please wait for any official confirmation however, do not make any plans using this information.
I am going on Balmoral 24th March,flying from Edinburgh -New York-Miami.with Continental airlines.
Fred Olsen charter their own flights from Gatwick,Manchester and Stanstead.
Please put up a post regarding the cruise with any suggestions and tips.when you arrive back.
Hi BY-TOM-AMM-FCA (interesting nick!) and Anstruther thanks for your replies.

B-T-A-F - I dont think those flight details are correct - After I read your reply I contacted Olsen's and they tell me that the flight from Stansted is direct to Miami - no nipping to Manchester for other passengers (phew!) They also tell me that it'll be with Monarch (which fills me with dread as I only ever seem to find bad reports about them!) The woman I spoke to said they only find out flight details 8 weeks before departure. I did point out that it's less than 8 weeks now but she said "we expect to get them any day now - keep calling"

anstruther - I'll make sure I do a cruise review when I get back - but that wont be much use to you as we'll be getting off the Balmoral on 24th as you're getting on! I've checked out the public rooms and it looks as though there'll be an Internet room - so I'll probably try to get online at some point and let you know how things are going and what you can expect. We can compare reviews when you get back! Do you have your cabin numbers yet? We're in 9092 on Bridge Deck - looking at the deck plan the position of that's changed since we booked! You say you're going from Edinburgh - New York - Miami - is this something you've sorted out for yourselves? Or is this an option Olsens gave you? We did look into finding our own flights so we could fly in comfort but it was just too expensive.

It feels as though we've had one niggle after another since booking this holiday - starting with our adjoining cabins being changed. The couple we're going with now have a cabin on the other side of the ship! They wanted to cruise in a very small, intimate ship - we weren't aware that Olsens were enlarging it until after we'd booked. (I've been teasing our friends ever since about this Cut and Shut ship they're dragging us onto!) We were also told when we booked that there'd be a premium cabin on the aircraft and although they weren't taking bookings for it at that time we were assured that we'd be put on the list for the upgrade and be billed for it when details were released. As my husband is over 6' tall and both our friends are...hmm... how can I put this kindly.... shall we say "a little on the rotund side" having that bit extra space on the aircraft makes a huge difference. Even I struggle on long journeys and I'm only 5'1"! We're now told that there aren't any upgrades. Had we realized there'd be non available I doubt we'd have chosen this trip.

Looking on the bright side, the ship will be pretty much brand spanking new when we get on it after it's refurb which will be lovely. I've read this week that work on the interior is still going on as the Balmoral heads towards the UK and that the three-day schedule of inaugural events to welcome the ship to its U.K. home in Dover, including a lunch for past passengers on January 27, has had to be cancelled.

Netty
PS have just called Olsens again - 7 weeks and 1 day to go and still no flight details so still unsure abotu booking a hotel the night before we fly.
Hi,Originally when I booked they were advertising flights from Edinburgh but when I phoned they said they only had Gatwick left ,it appears they take out block bookings of ten seats with other airlines and charter own planes for the main airports so I booked Gatwick and got the flight no. sent ,it was a Thomson plane however I went on Continentals website and saw that there were lots of seats available so after a few phone calls I did manage to get the Edinburgh flight it saves me having to pay for flights and a hotel to Gatwick plus Continentals luggage allowance is very generous.
I have not got a cabin no. but it is guaranteed N on main deck.it looks to be underneath the internet place which by all accounts is very expensive to use. Lets hope that any teething problems have been sorted before we go.
:( I've just been on the Olsen web site and notice that Balmorals inaugural cruise to the Canary Islands (which should have gone today 30th January) is cancelled because of "technical problems" which have just come to light after her major refit. Her next scheduled trip out is a 29 night cruise down to Miami then the next time out is the cruise we're going on. (BL004) It would interest me to know what compensation the Inaugural cruise passengers have been offered - I bet you it's money back plus a discount off their next Olsen cruise. I have to say that'd not impress me at all!

I'm more than a little bit worried now. I'm certain that the problems will be sorted out well enough for her to head off down to Miami but I'm not convinced that our cruise will be trouble free. It worries me that they'll send us all off on the ship knowing it might have problems but hoping they'll not rear their ugly heads so they can get the ship making a profit for them! :que

With 6 weeks and 1 day to go I've also just got off the phone from Olsens and there are still no flight details. Trouble is, you can't even book a parking space at the airport until you know your flight time (according to my friend who's doing the driving)

This is the first time we've taken a cruise with this company and so far it doesn't bode well for us being returning passengers! The cruise itselt will have to be excellent to convince us to book with them again. :(
Netty
Oh dear it is not sounding very good,hopefully it will all be sorted before we go.what a shame for the passengers who have been cancelled at the very last minute as they will have put a lot of arrangements together and will now be out of pocket.Please keep me informed ,hope you get your flight details soon.
:cheers Hurrah! :cheers
4 weeks and 5 days before our cruise we now have our flight details and are able to make plans for our airport journey and overnight stay if necessary as well as at long last being able to confirm our holiday dates with work!! :)
Just in case you're flying from Stansted the details are as follows (according to FO's staff)
Outbound:
Depart: 09.00hrs
Arrive: 14.55hrs
Inbound:
Depart 16.55hrs
Arrive 05.20hrs

I'm still feeling less than impressed but keeping my fingers crossed that FO deliver a great cruise and we have a fab time dispite the hassles that we've had in the past months.

Netty
great news that you have received your flight details , Yesterday I received a wallet with a book in for the trips to book in advance, Have a lovely time.
Sorry, details I gave are for another Balmoral cruise on the 18th i think.
Hi anstruther

Yay! Spoke to the other couple who we're traveling with - we also have that wallet and booklets but as it's all booked through our friends those items have gone directly to their house. They live about 26 miles away so we dont get to see them every week (what with shift patterns and other commitments!) so it it'll probably be a couple of weeks before we get over there to pick them up and have a good look at what trips are on offer. They're listed on Olsens web site anyway but as some have quite limited availability we thought we'd book them before we travel. It also helps to give us a rough idea of how much we'll be spending!

Earlier this week DH and I had out jabs! We both needed typhoid jabs and I needed a few of my childhood ones boosting - I think I just had those because they spotted they needed doing and not specifically because of the trip. We've also been told there's a very very slight chance of malaria if we any of the trips take us near any jungle areas but the practice nurse says they're not really necessary. Mozzies and me get along like best of dinner mates! They just love to bite chunks out of me so I may just take this added precaution even if the chances of them being a problem are a million to one!

Netty
Hi, Have you looked at the posts for diy trips,as there are four of you it will probably be cheaper arranging your own trips when arriving in the port.
thanks for the tip - might just look into doing that - all part of the fun, sorting out your own trips - assuming we all fancy going to the same places - which has never happened before!! I'm getting really excited now! rofl

Netty
:)
Have you received your flight tickets and other papers yet,I was told they were sent out 2 weeks before departure date.
Hiya
yes indeed, we have our tickets - or should I say our friends have our tickets as all the paperwork has gone to them as they've booked it. They came with some F0 playing cards which was nice. At least we can start out own card school on the flight! The tickets arrived a little over 14 days before our due departure date. With the tickets came a little more information regarding the "theme night" dinners. We have 2 formal nights, 1 tropical night, 1 black and white night and a 60's and 70's night.

If you ask me it's a little bit late in the day telling us about these - we're going to give the 60's and 70's night a miss I think as we've not got time to sort out clothes for this one but the rest are ok from our normal holiday wardrobes!

We had a little bit of good news regarding the flight too. There are no upgrades but the drinks are "complimentary" on the flight - so we were quite impressed by that!

So, at the time of writing we've got 10 days or so to go before we're off
Netty
Thanks for the info regarding dress code nights.Have a great time ,we can compare notes when we are both back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.