Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
romania
18 Posts
Went to Romania (Bucharest) about 3 years ago, pretty cheap, people were really friendly (at times) but the amount of begging especially from kids was unreal, was a bit shady after dark, but most places in Europe have their seedier sides.
Went to Bucharest and Brasov ( Transylvania to see Vlads castle) in '88 during the ceaucescu days but Im sure its changed somwhat since then.

However, after my experience of '88 its not a place I would ever travel to again ( I dont say that about many places) and I certainly wouldnt take my young kids there. I would guess that its not really geared up for tourism,....but I could be wrong.
I've been in Bucharest and Cluj Napoca for 10 days visiting a gf 4 years ago. I'll say only this: Never, never again. And have in mind that you are not safe if you have to take care of others too (kids).
If you Have To go then good luck.

Some hints:
1. Never give anything to anyone (not even a lighter or a fag).
2. Never show your money (hide money everywhere)
3. Be very cautious with food (canteens even restaurants). Your healthiest bet is a big mac. :shock:
4. NEVER follow a woman to her place , Never allow a woman in your place no matter what the promise is
:lol:
5. Look always behind you and all around you
6. Never give your passport to a ''policeman'' in the street; Say that you'd gladly follow him to the police station IF he proves to u that he is aoliceman.
7. Do not use the mobile phone in the streets.
You must be joking, right?
I am an Romanian citizen, living in Bucharest, and I must say that, perhaps you are confusing Bucharest with Baghdad :lol:
This tips are SF, if you'll ask me.
- do not eat from anywhere but Mc.Donalds - When in fact are houndreds of excelent restaurants with an enormous variety of food...
- do not use your mobile phones on the streets :shock: thoulsands of peoples are using them every day on the street, and nobody rob them...
- look always behind you and all around you... :shock: are you affraid of some kind of explosing devices? If you fear of thievs, they are in every city on earth, not just in Romania's cities...
Beggars are in every city, even in the one you're are living in... :roll:
There are tens of thoulsands of turists arriving in Romania every year, and they leave this places with an excellent opinion about this country...
If you had a bad experience with a country, please, don't generalize, I myself have a bad travelling experience in foreign countries, but, I would not under no circumstances generalize that...
Please, no offence!
Other opinions:
http://romania.8k.com/olimp/
  • Edited by nicumur 2005-06-02 12:17:54
Hey!

I'm going to Mamaia resort in July. Any infos on good places to party, eat, weather, food, drinks, prices...?

Take care!
http://www.romania.8k.com/

I'm affraid I can't tell you anything about prices, other than hotels, wich varies from 27 Euros to 120 Euros/night... just follow the link, select Mamaia, any hotel, and the number of days...
But I'm pretty much sure that they are not too high.
As for party, restaurants, disco and other stuff, comes in a great variety; I'm sure that you'll find the right one for you.
Please enjoy your stay, and hope for a splendid weather... :lol:
Hi there,

My Dad has lived in Bucharest for about 8 years now. It's a great country with very friendly people.
For holidays he goes to 2Mai and Vama Veche on the coast which are very beautiful with quiet beaches and turqouise oceans. There is a lovely market at Mangalia where you can buy fresh fruit, veg and meat.
We are taking our 2 year old daughter with us to 2Mai and Vama Veche this year, and we know she'll have a blast!

There is also a place called Sinaia (think that's how it's spelt), which is in the mountains. It's great on and off season and there are loads of great little cabin restaurants.

If you want any more information I'll be happy to find out for you.

Sarah
Hi again!!

My friend got back from Golden Beach (Bulgaria). The prices went up a lot!!! :? I was there last year and the year before and when we compared prices I couldn't belive it!!
Now, I'm worried if the prices (drink, food) in Mamaia - Romania also went up so much!
Any infos??

Take care!

Ana
I've been working recently in Timisoara, and to be honest it's a great place. Friendly people, very cheap beer, and plenty to see and do
Hi there
Has anyone been to Romania? I have a friend who wants me to visit. I am not sure about because of some of the things I have heard. She herself really wants to leave someday and live abroad somewhere else. But she insists its fine for a holiday. Its not poverty that would bother me. But crime and lawlessness would. I have heard that Romania still has a long way to go before they meet EU standards and there was even talk of delaying their entry. I know Romanian woman over here in Dublin and she says she would never go back there and describes it as being dirty and unsafe!

Even my friend occaisonly complains about the problems they have but insists Ill be fine. I have been advised by some people from Poland not to go there as people and police will harass tourists. and sometimes ask for bribes. Is this true? Is it really that bad?

Is Bucharest worth visting? Is the seaside ok? My friend lives 2 hours from Bucharest and I would definately be staying with her. Ive been putting off this trip for so long. I am afraid if I say I don t want to visit Ill hurt her feelings. I ve thought about suggesting Bulgaria or Hungary as a meeting point.

Does anyone know what its like from a tourist point of view? I am not afraid of visiting countries and I am well travelled. I d just like some opinions from a tourist point of view?
I travelled through romania by train this summer - the impression from the train was of a very, very poor country. We were locked into the sleeping car for the 25 hour trip! This might have been a 'for our own safety' but was also I believe because the Romanian car attendant thought he was a prison guard. i changed trains at Bucharest station and on the info i could gather beforehand, had decided not to spend time there (I was on way to istanbul). Even so, spending a mere 4 hours on the station, I was pestered to the limits of my tolerance by taxi bandits, and got caught up in a football riot when two groups of fans kicked off big time. The MacDo's is the weirdest ever - getting to use the loo was like getting in a safe but there were still junkies in the ladies toilet. I gained an impression of an overall complete absence of a customer service culture as understood in western europe, and of a brutalised attitude to people in general.
In addition 'officials' ie anyone given a uniform seem stuck in a pre-glasnost timewarp and are very hostile, seems to come with the uniform.

I apologise to all the nice Romanians out there, and I am sure there are millions, but the brief time I had with the country left me wishing I had flown Budapest - Istanbul instead. :(
Ok I think I know now to go prepared. I trust my friend completely and I know she would never put me in any danger. I won t go for a long time but Ill go just to see her for a few days. I ll try to carry as little money as possible and take all the precations. Hassle wise if its anything like Tunisia or Egypt I should be ok. I was well able to take care of myself in those countries though admitidly accompanied. If she s with me i think ill be fine.
But thanks for your opinion silvergirl. I won t have high expectations of Romania but its really just to visit my friend. And if I end up liking it that would be a just a bonus. :)
I have just returned from Bucharest and had a wonderful time, yes it has it down points but so do Britain. The architecture is beautiful and the people are very helpful. I have the details of a superb private taxi driver with a nice new Mrecedes, he will pick you up from the airport and provide an excellent service without ripping you off.
The village museum is a good day out and very interseting, but it just depends what you are looking for. The food is good and the Romanian wine is fantastic, if you want to go don't be put off by any comments that are unkind about this place.
Hi people, I'm thinking of visiting Romania with my partner (specifically Transylvania!), just because we fancy something different! Is English widely spoken in that part of the world, does anyone know? and any other tips on visiting the region in general would be muchly appreciated :D
I stayed in Bucharest, and even the staff of my hostel didn't speak good english at all. The transport infrastructure in Transylvania isn't great either, especially in the more rural areas.
Just wondered why we presume that people in countries such as Poland and Romania can speak good English. I wonder if they ask if us British speak good Polish or Romanian. Surely the whole point of visiting these countries is to learn about how these people live- their culture language etc.
I cannot believe some of the stereotypical rubbish on here. Does everyone read the Daily Mail? :o

I went to Bucharest in April of 2007 to visit a friend and stayed five days, and spent a night in a mountain lodge in Sinaia and visited Brasov.

Firstly Bucharest felt very safe to me, yes do not flash your money around. However would you flash your money around in your home town? There were Police everywhere. I only saw two street children and a few stray dogs in the distance. I have been hassled by more beggars in my home town of Brighton than Bucharest!

Most people spoke some sort of English in Bucharest, if you know some French you can sort of work out the menu, as Romanian is based on Latin.

I can however understand it might not suit everyone and it is an up and coming place, but despite sad tower blocks and other traces of communism it has charm and vibrance. It may not be one the most attractive cities in the world, but thats part of its appeal to some people. Plus its dead cheap and there's none of the usual "Brits abroad" (yet) :). Brasov and the (Carpathian) mountains are beautiful, the train was around £7 return from Bucharest for a 2 hour trip on a fast, clean train.

Sorry if I offend, thought I would post a positive view, I;m going again in April now Easyjet fly there from Gatwick.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.