Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I haven't been to Milan or Venice although I fancy Venice very much. I have however been to Rome. It is a wonderful City that I think everybody should visit at least once if they can. We stayed about 10 - 15 minutes metro ride away from the centre, and that is the only thing I would change if I went again I would stay closer to the centre.

A definite thumbs up from me.

Sarah
Milan for me, I picked up 2 return flights to Milan last week from Ryanair for £40. Thats £20 pp return. No-one can say no to that.
Hi
My favourite of the three is Venice.Amazing wonderful superb.I can't think of enough superlatives to descibe it but if you want nightlife then it is not for you.Everything closes by 11 p.m.
Milan being a major city has a lot more going on in the evening but not a lot to do during the day once you have seen the sights.Good shopping though if your credit card can stand it.
Now Rome has everything you are looking for.You will need at least 4 days to even begin to cover this wonderful city.
If you do decide to go for Rome try and book accommodation in the Piazza Navona/Spanish Steps area.Most of the major sights within walking distance from there.If you are on a budget the station area is ok but watch out for pickpockets.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy.Italy is a great country.
thanks for all your replies! they are good advice!

I think im thinking of Rome, as it sounds great, then maybe get the ttrain to venice for one day? Dont no how long.much it is though?

Thanks holidaylover for the info on where to stay as we dont have a clue! Im going ot check out some palces now on the net!

ohh cant wait to bok it and go! :D
If you do go for Rome and you are looking for transfers from the airport to Rome and want to go in style then I highly recommend this service

We used this when we went and it was excellent. On our return journey the driver asked if we minded if he took a detour to show us his favorite place in Rome. He took us to the airport via Appian Way and oh boy he was amazing. I felt like I had been transported back in time.

You can do an open top bus tour in Rome which is great value, something like €12 to hop and off all day, takes close to all the major sites.

Be prepared to Que for St Peters, The Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum. Probably best to avoid St Peters Square and Basilica on Wednesday's unless you want to see the audience with the Pope as it gets extremely busy.

Sarah
hi sarah! thanks for the inof, might look into the transfer, sounds great!

where abouts did you stay when you went! I am thinking of staying in a holdayinn as i have points that i can use for free nights, but they are about 7km out of town, would the public transport be good to use? Or is it best to stay closer to the action?]

thnaks!
If it is your first visit to Italy I would definitely choose Rome. But a day trip to Venice is not advisable, it's a long way. You would spend most of the day on the train. Save your visit to Venice for the future.
Personally I would stay closer to the action. You will spend a lot of time travelling into the centre from 7kms away and probably won't save that much money.

We found Rome hard going on the feet, so much to see, but we were put off going back to our hotel for a rest before heading back out again because of having to travel back to our hotel again.

If you are close or in the centre then you can go back to your hotel, recharge your batteries and then head back out again.

Sarah
Hey there i would totally agree with sarah (thanks for the recomendation of my friend aswell!) it is a killer place on foot as there are alot of hills and alot of the roads/pavments are cobbled (not in a bad way but just tiring!
I also would recomend looking for accomodation nearer the centre. As some one else has mentioned the cheaper hotels tend to be nearer to the main train station, (termini) some are good some are dire! Also depending where you are at can be a bit dodgy at night, (pickpockets etc) I must say though when i was over in september this year it doesnt feel as bad as it used to it does seem to have improved a little, i noticed that the metro system has had a bit of an overhaul aswell with some new trains and less pickpockets. (usually gypsy children) if you can find a place which is south of the station towards piazza santa maria maggiore (the church there is well worth a look aswell!) you will be in a good location. i know some people on this site have stayed in hotels along via nationale which is in the same sort of area and been more than happy.
this site looks really good and is what im talking about the locations are fine aswell.
click on here!
hope this helps.
You can get some cracking deals on other parts of town alot of people stay around the spanish steps area which is nice aswell. But i personally prefer to stay around here as i find it very central and its a hub for transport on your doorstep. Also there some good restaurants here aswell one in particular where you can have a 3 course meal for under 12 euros a person including wine and water and its very italian and of the beaten track :wink: if anyone wants to know ill pm the address and directions.
  • Edited by jessop 2006-11-02 20:52:48
We stayed off the Via Nationale last time and I recommend it highly.

Hotel Apollo

Our review on Venere HERE
thansk for all your info! its helpiong me alot because i dont know anything about rome! Im going to look at all the recommendations.....

thanks! :bow
and if you are into designer labels, Rome has most of what Milan has !

Stone Island/ CP company, Prada, Lacoste, Versace, Chanel, Armani, Zegna + all the usuals !

Try either the Palladium Palace hotel or the Ottocento. You wont be disappointed.
hi everyone!

after some thoguht, we have decided to book milan! we got a great deal with jet2 and have used my points that i have for holiday inn hotel. so the whole weekend, over the bank holiday in may is costing £70 each for afour nights stay!

We are now thinknig of going to watch a footie match whilst there on the sunday. Anybody any advice on geting the tickets?
Laura I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. Don't forget to come back and tell us all about it and may submit a hotel review.

Sarah :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.