General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I always contact the hotel direct if i wish to make any special request, as we go mainly to Greece/Cyprus we are lucky to get a reply,but our request are usually met ,we do the same when going to Portugal or Spain, only once in memory was our request not met, and that was a British staffed hotel in Spain :que

wizard
Thanks Wizard, keep them coming Im sure lots of you have been away the last months did you get your request with it being the start of the busy summer season?
I always contact the hotel direct with any requests Danny . wherever possible I put in a few requests on the original booking but always back it up with an email direct 10-14 days before arrival.

I even request sea view rooms even though I've not paid extra at time of booking . Got exactly what I asked for last year in cuba and was delighted.
Thats excellent Lyn, Im glad to know that I'm not the only one, it just shows that even asking for a sea view by email is worth it even if you may not have not paid extra. :tup
I'm the same- I have paid too much money to leave it to chance and always contact the hotel direct a few months before laying it on thick about how is a special holiday blah blah! Include a bit of the local lingo for please and thank you. Then follow up with a final email about a week or two before.
We have always been lucky with our requests too and up until this year, we have never contacted the hotel either just made the requests via the travel agent. This year we are returning to apartments that we have stayed in a few times so have emailed them directly asking for a particular room (having stayed in it previously and it ticked all our boxes - top floor (only 3 floors so not high), quiet, excellent views and gets the sun ALL day :sun2 ). They have replied saying that we have actually booked a 1R4B apartment and not a 1R3B (which is the size of the room we want). They have however said they will try to accomodate us and if they do manage it, I have to sign a disclaimer saying that I am happy with the downgrade. If its the room I want, I am more than happy to do this. Failing that, we have asked for a room at the opposite end to the entertainment as it can get noisy some evenings.
We have always been lucky too :) , when booking we always request a high floor and pool view and always got it, and last october my dad decided to join us on holiday ( 4 weeks til departure) and booked the same hotel but did it direct, he sent the hotel a email and asked for a high floor pool view and a room next door to us and got it ;) , he was well chuffed.

Next time we go away we will email hotel again and hopefully get what we asked
I like to e-mail the hotel direst about 2-3 weeks before we get there-Although some of the Greek places we stay don't have an e-mail address. Most of the time my requests have been met but there have been one or two occasions when they haven't. I always start and end my e-mails with a line or two in their preferred language.
Lovely Shirley, thanks for sharing. Another tip I remember from member Sue Allen, when I first went to Benidorm was to mention about bringing them a box of chocolate, I have found this works great and not only in Benidorm lol, I still remember this from Sue and mentioned this in my email last year when going to Ibiza. The reception manager actually replied with a choice of rooms even down to the room number she thought was the best and asked me to reply back to let her know. We went with the one she said and when we arrived there we got that exact room which I must say was brilliant top floor, with a full frontal veiw over Es-cana bay and pool area. Most of the others were limited due to trees.
When I booked in March to go this October, I put in a request for the same room we had back in 2009 and I will email the hotel a couple of weeks before we go. :)
I usually email with a room request and have only had a couple of replies with the standard "will do our best etc". IMO I think it depends on the size of the hotel whether they bother to take any notice. There is one hotel in Benidorm (may be the same one Danny) that are excellent in meeting requests. We stayed in a large hotel in the Costa Del Sol and I have to say they were uninterested and put us in a horrible location and just shrugged when we complained with the also standard reply "The hotel is full". It is always worth a try but I never get my hopes up too much..... Caz
The only thing I ever request is a quiet room. I'm a really light sleper, so don't like being near the bar, lift e.t.c. I'm not really particular about the view, as we hardly spend any time in our room anyway, but have found that most rooms, either have views of the sea, pool or gardens.
Hi
I e-mail my holiday accommodation about 2 weeks before I go, usually get what I have requested. I contact the hotel/apt when I come home to thank them...its only manners... :) and a bit of creeping helps just in case I go there again :cheers
M
Hi all,

We go to the same apartments all the time, I always email them before we go asking for a room in between particular blocks, they have so far always obliged. We went last month & it was a good thing I emailed them although it was only the day before we went as they replied immediately that they had no booking for me :que It had been canceled 5 days after I booked it with Alpharooms last August :think Total panic on my side & I spent all afternoon on the phone to Alpha trying to sort out what had happened! To cut a long story short we had to spend 3 nights in our original apartments, then pack up & move to another hotel for 2 nights then back to the first one for the remaining 5 nights - it was the best they could do at such short notice as our normal apartments didn't have the full 10 nights free for us - it spolit our holiday to be honest as we were living out of our suitcases until the last 5 nights. We also lost 2 days of our holidays having to move out, wait for next room to be ready then unpack again.

SO, yes I do email before & I am SO glad I did it this time otherwise we would have arrived with nowhere to stay & having to ring Alpharooms from Majorca from my mobile.
I always e.mail about 10-14 days prior to departure, I ask for a high floor, quiet area, sea/pool view. I don't often get a reply but usually end up happy. I take a box of choccies with me for Reception
the owner of the hotel we are staying in this year i have on my facebook so have asked for a middle or top floor room as i dont like ground floor much so she has put us on middle floor as all triple rooms are ground or middle, normally i havent bothered asking but this year as i know the hotel i did :cheers
Just remembered that I e mailed the Tropicana Grand Azure in Sharm this year. When we checked in, the chap reminded me that I'd made a room request to be next door to our friends in a quiet area of the hotel. Our request was granted, and we had brilliant rooms :tup
Im always lucky we email the hotel direct soon after we book it, i did this the other week when I booked my holiday however I have had this email aswell, i want high floor sea view fingers and toes crossed we get it in october..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.