Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
nellie2303,

You have plenty of options. You can book through your tour operator or there's plenty of local operators with details in hotels that can help you. All the main safaris area are available to you as you're close to Mombassa. I went with Pollmans, they were pretty good.

Darren
We are going to Kenya next year and I have been looking at http://www.julius-safaris.com/index2.cgi?lang=UK&page=1&name=Home who get excellent reviews.
will check them out thanks for your help
To echo what Graham has said - we are too looking going to Kenya next year and have looked at the same operator that receives positive reviews elsewhere and comes highly recommended.

Mark :)
am going to kenya in december and would be going on a safari any one ideas on cost regards woodward :wave: :wave:
woodward,

There's lots of different safaris available depending on where you're staying, where you want to go and for how many nights. It's anything from £150 for one night in Tsavo to £1000+ for a week in the Masai Mara.

Darren
thanks darran just a guide to stop us getting ripped off ,
many thanks woodward
It is definitely cheaper to book safari's whilst you are in Kenya, and not before you get there. There are plenty of cheap deals around, and it's much cheaper to stay in a tent obviously, than a lodge. But I think that staying in a tent in the African Savannah is how it should be done! Have a great time - you are going to absolutely LOVE it.
I too am interested in Kenyan safaris on a land only basis. All comments, recommendations and 'stay clear of's welcomed! Many thanks!
Hi Folks,

We are going to Diani beach later this month (21st Jan) and would like to go on a 2 or 3 day safari taking in Tsavo East/West. Which is the best option - pre-booking before we go or booking locally when we get there? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both methods, and does anyone have any recommendations for safari companies?

Cheers

Keith
lewiskei,

You can sometimes get cheaper deals by booking locally, but you don't always know who you are going with. I went with Polmans through Thomson who were pretty good. They were sightly more expensive than some of the others, but we stayed at some excellent camps. It's the same price if you book this before you go or in-resort.

Darren
We are looking at doing a Safari and Stay holiday in 2012(2 adults, 2 kids - 11 & 13), can anyone give me some pointers as to the best time of year to go in relation to price and any recommended resorts for the "Stay" part of our hols - Kenya appears to offer quite a few?
Thx
RJ
The missus and I have always wanted to visit Kenya. Unfortunately we only have an 11 day stretch next month to go on holiday, after which we both have full time commitments for the next two years. With the absence of any 10-11 day tour op holidays to Kenya, if we go it'll have to be a week long visit.

So the question is, is it worth it, and is 7 days long enough for a beach holiday with a safari? Are there any safari trips from the Mombasa region that are 1-2 days long?

I haven't done much research on it, in fact it only really became an option for this year because I found a reasonable price for a week All Inclusive in August when I had a random look a couple of hours ago.
We have booked with a company called EKEA Safaris who have been incredibly helpful and arranged the safari for exactly our needs, worth emailing them and asking their advice. I will give a full review of them when we return http://www.ekeasafaris.com/
Hi

Yes you can fit a couple of days safari in your holiday, it would be a 2 day one night, there are a couple of companies you could get prices from listed above :tup
Hi Steview,
Yes it's definitely possible to do a short safari on a one week trip to Mombasa.
I did the Tsavo East/West one (2 days, 1 night) and it was excellent.
I booked it there, through the First Choice rep.
AND I managed to fit in a couple of days in Mombasa General hospital with a snapped Achilles tendon
(did it the first night in the hotel)
and I went on Safari in plaster and with crutches.
Kenya is amazing, and the hospital isn't bad,
but makes you really glad you have insurance!

PS Beware - some hotels now in Kenya are restricting access to Safari companies looking for business, only the "favoured" ones are allowed access to the lobby area.
Hi,

not looking at booking yet, just after a bit of advice :)
I quite fancy going to Kenya and combining a relaxing holiday with a 2/3 day safari.

I know first choice do this package, but just want a bit of information first.

We won't be going until end of 2012/early 2013, so obviously cannot book yet. My son will be 9 years old. Is this too young for him to go on a safari? He would love to see all the wildlife, but I'm not sure of the distances travelling during the safari?

also, when is the best time to go?

thanks
Hi YM

Most Safari companies have a minimum age of 7 or 8yrs. As you are only wanting to go on a 2/3 day safari you will probably go to Tsavo which isn't too far.

We went in November, did get a bit of rain and we had to help get the vehicle out of the mud a couple of times but it was mostly lovely weather. I expect someone else will be able to tell you the best time of the year to go there.

Judith
Thanks Judith, will most likely go in dec '12 or jan '13.

Is it safe staying overnight in the accomodation, ie a tent or lodge?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.