Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi Shaz and Gray and welcome to HT!

It's a long time since we did our safaris, but if I remember correctly it was very casual in the evenings at the lodges. Just jeans or casual trousers and a T-shirt. I can't even remember dressiing up at the hotels.

luci :wave
Luci's right - you don't need to get dressed up in the evening whilst on safari. Some nights we didn't even bother getting changed as we just wanted to get some food and go to bed early. If we did get changed, we tried to wear our 'clean' clothes in the evening first and then recycle them as 'dirty' clothes during the day. This only applied to tops and trousers though - I didn't want to re-use my underwear! I took some skirts and shoes to wear at our beach hotel, but actually ended up wearing nothing but linen trousers and sandals as it was so hot and humid. Hope that helps - have a look at my safari review for more tips:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=98165
thank you, this helps alot, I seem to have gone shopping like a woman possessed. It scared me slightly when I read reviews on our hotel as it stated that men had to wear full length trousers on an evening so I thaught it was going to apply to women too as in no short skirts or dresses. I feel alot clearer now on what I need and also what I don't really need that I have already bought, at least i'm not going to be taking a load of clothes I won't wear.
I always find the 'safari colours' for clothing vaguely amusing - we followed that advice and bought beiges, greens etc (wore then dumped them along the way for staff). I think this subtle colours thing was started by some 'intrepid explorer' type and keeps being carried forward.

In reality, it doesn't matter what colour you wear, the animals don't react to a red or yellow tee shirt any more than any other more subtle colour. They are quite often surrounded by 15 bright white mini vans, tourists dangling out with all manner of video's, camera's binoculars.....................

Have a fantastic time. :lol:
I would just suggest wearing old clothes, especially socks, so that you can dump them if they get too ingrained with safari dust. We didn't intend doing a safari the second time we went to Kenya, but I got bored after 10 days and booked one locally. The white socks I wore were consigned to the bin and they wouldn't wash.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.