Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
We had a 3 night break in Salzburg a few years ago . loved it and didnt feel the need for a car . From what I remember public transport was very good for the options available outside of the centre .Heres a link to when I researched originally and further down the page you will see my review of how we spent our time .

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=57769&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=salzburg&start=20

lyn
Definately not in the city. Where are you staying? Bear in mind that the name Salzburg is used for both the city and also as part of Salzburgland which is the federal state.

I assume you're flying in to Salzburg airport itself, see http://engl.salzburg-airport.com/livecam.html - have you got the flight times?

How old are the kids?

The public transport is very good but the internet info is actually quite poor, even in German, so if I knew the kids ages and where you will be it will be easier to start from there!

March might be a bit cold and some of the best roads will definately be closed.
Hi Lyn and Steve for your replies.

The kids ages are 4 and 13 (both girls) and we're staying in an apartment in Salzburg Castle, - its link is

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p44224?uni_id=140564

The advise on the holiday rentals reviews are that a car isn't required but I'd intent to travel out of the city as much as possible and I can get a small car for about £80.

Thanks again,

Tom
Your link takes me to the Krotach appartment, if that's correct then I don't think your actually in the castle. I've found the German version of those pages and it says castle complex which includes the old buildings around the base. The other property (Volture Tower/ ) does seem be in the actual castle. Both have a warning on the German page that the only parking available is in a public pay parking garage which is probably a bit of a walk away and not up in the castle. The interior photos are a mix of the two properties, the top two are of the Volture and the bottom two are the Krotach. Have you got an actual address for the place or directions for arrival?

To be honest the novelty of being up in the castle would soon wear off - it's quiet a climb up the narrow lane and the appartment details don't mention anything about being able to use the funicular for free!

If you've only got 3 nights I'd say you'd need what's left of the arrival day to get your bearings, one whole day for the city (unless you already know it well), and the last morning probably isn't going to be much use. So that leaves one day for outside the city. I'll see what's open in March - everything I've thought of so far is shut!
Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your message.

Yes, it is the Volture Apartment within the Castle, and we arrive at about 10.30 am on the Wednesday (24th. March) morning, and our flight back is arount 10.00 am on the Saturday, so we nearly have 3 full days.

I'm awaiting the full address details from Christine (Owner) but as its the castle, you'd probably know it anyway.

Never been to Salzburg or Austria, but I feel that we'd like to get out of the city for at least 50% of the time.

I understand from the web site that the Funcular can close as early as 5.00 pm during March, so I'd like the option of at least being able to 'drop off' the family and park the car and return myself by foot, and likewise do the same for 'pick ups' in the morning.

My other thought is that at roughly £80 plus Parking Fees ?, we'd still be saving on Taxi / Public transport costs, even going from and to the airport ?

Tom
I think you need the exact access details, getting into the old town is not simple and the castle is even more restricted. The website refers to public garage parking and that seems to run at about €15 a day. You need to study this http://www.salzburg.info/en/arrival_traffic/car/parking_in_salzburg.htm?offset=1&infosites=_2&keyword=&category=

Car hire for £80 for 4 days seems a bit cheap, I've seen 2 seater Smart cars at that price but they would be no good for you. Does it include child seats?

I was thinking, taxi in from airport - nothing more to spend that day. Next day, tour in the country (I'm looking for places with sledging or horse drawn sledges to entertain the kids). Second full day a 24 Salzburg card, this includes public transport in the city and access to various attractions and don't buy it until about 09:00. Final day, your Salzburg card would still be valid until the 24 hours is up so gives you a fre ride on the number 8 trolley bus from the foot of the castle to the airport in time for checkin.
so I'd like the option of at least being able to 'drop off' the family and park the car and return myself by foot, and likewise do the same for 'pick ups' in the morning.

If this is one of your reasons for hiring a car then you would be well advised to make absolutely sure that this is possible before doing so - it never used to be. The only access up the Castle mount was either on the funicular or on foot up said narrow lane. Only authorised vehicle access was allowed and I doubt that would include your hire car - can you check with the owner of the apartment?

But that said, a car in Salzburg would be a liability - it's a medieval city with much of the centre fully pedestrianised and inaccessible by car. As a visitor, you'll find it very frustrating trying to navigate your way around and find parking. In the end you are talking about one day outside of the city and public transport in the area is excellent and compared to here can be very cheap and you'll be surprised just what is easily accessible by public transport. But to be honest, with only 2 full days there, there's more than enough to occupy you in the city itself. You're not going to be able to do anything before heading for the airport on the last day and if you are arriving in the city at 10.30am then you'll have had a really early start and I would expect a 4yr old to need a nap before you do anything on the day you arrive.

I love Salzburg - it's such a beautiful city - but it's designed for people on foot not cars and your first port of call on arriving should be the Tourist Information Office. In the Tyrol, they are tremendously efficient and will have English language leaflets on the public transport and details of how to get around using it, including suggested excursions to nearby villages etc.

SM
SMa - Wise words (even though this is Salzburgland not Tyrol!). Ever been to Augustinerbrau http://www.augustinerbier.at/ ? Just off the city centre and now has a convenient local railway station. No trip to Salzburg is complete without a visit.
Thank you both (Steve and SMa) for setting me straight on this.

I'm so used to having a hire car in Spain, I expect to need one everywhere !

I also checked out YouTube where someone had some photos of the Apartment under 'Vulture Apartment Salzburg" and I could see for myself the very restricted access to the castle.

Steve, I could hire a Fiat 500 for £80, but as you pointed out - adding in Car parking charges, petrol and Extended Car Warreanty it would end up closer to 170 Euro's and I'd imaging we'd get a fair bit of sightseeing for that over there.

BTW, I saw on you link to the Airport that there a 'Salzburg Card' ! R these worth buying ?

Thanks again,

Tom
Firstly, Salzburg comes in 2 versions, the city and Salzbergland which is the federal state and is much bigger. You'll see references to cards for both but the land version is only available in the summer.

The city version is available all year and is slightly cheaper outside of summer peak. You can download the English leaflet from http://www.salzburg.info/static/cms/salzburginfo/bdb02_sehenswertes/salzburg_card_2010_en.pdf . In the first few pages of the leaflet you see Sights with admission charges and then the card logo followed by 0.00 - these places are inclusive with the card. You need to see which places appeal to you, there is no limit on the number of places you visit but most only allow 1 visit (you have to swipe the card). Opening times and dates are also shown, you need to pick out which will be open. The obvious big attraction for most people is the Hohensalzburg - where you're staying! But it will still get you a tour and a ride on the funicular worth €10.50. In good weather the place to head for is Number 47 on the list, the Untersberg. It's normally €19 plus the cost of the bus ride but the 24 Hour Salzburgcard includes it all ( the bus goes out of city area but is a special exception to the rule). So, buy it at about 09:30, morning round the castle, down the funicular, out to the Untersberg by bus, afternoon up the mountain, back on the bus, ride up the Monchbergs lift for sunset over city (hopefully!), trolley bus out to airport next morning (within the 24 hours) comes to €39.40 but the card will only set you back €22 (eldest child is half price and youngest goes free anyway). You need a bit of planning to get value and if it rains in March you may be limited and be better off paying the individual prices.

I'm still looking for what to do on the out of city day - horse drawn sleighs are out (unless you find €400 down the back of a sofa!!) but tobogans might be still a possiblity.
Thanks again Steve for all your help.

Yeah, the Untersberg trip seems perfect !

I also came across Hitlers Fortress - where about is this ?

Wheres the best / easiest place to buy the Card ?

Tom
Now you are both making me want to go back . We never got round to doing anything outside the city and another visit spring or maybe aututmn sounds like a good idea.
By Hitler's Fortress I'm guessing you mean the Eagles Nest or Kehlsteinhaus which is about 20 kms away in Germany. It's situated at the top of the Kehlsteinmountain. Unfortunately it doesn't normally open until the middle of May.
For anyone visiting the area later on in the year it's a good place to visit and can be combined with a trip to the salt mines on a day out from Salzburg.
http://www.kehlsteinhaus.com
http://www.eagles-nest.de
I think the "fortress" was probably the Berghof but that was destroyed after the war to stop it becoming a shrine for Nazis. The area is very simple to reach from Salzburg since both countries signed the Schengen agreement there are normally no border controls and the two public transport systems ignore the border and go where people want to be!

The easiest way to buy the card would be online before you go (the 24 hours starts when you first swipe the card at an attraction so it can be bought in advance). But since you are so close to going and March isn't the best time if the weather isn't too good it's probably best to wait till you are there. I bought mine from the Mozartplatz tourist office but most of the attractions sell it at the pay desks so you'll probably be able to buy it at the castle, maybe only at the bottom of the funicular so check the day you arrive! Don't forget the 4 year old doesn't need one and the 13 year old is half price.

Will you be there weekend or weekdays? I've found a superb sledge excursion at a bargain price (inc. horse drawn bit!) but only on weekdays! Still checking whether the snow will still be around.

Lyn- September/ early October is an excellent time, the sky is blue-er and there crowds thin out a bit. But if you want to be out of the city then stay out side - it's much, much cheaper!
I have often heard the Kehlsteinhaus or Eagles Nest incorrectly referred to as Hitler's Fortress because of it's situation at the top of the mountain. As there are only a few bricks remaining from the ruins of the Berghof I doubt that this is what the OP is referring to.
(even though this is Salzburgland not Tyrol!).

I know but my experience is of those in the Tyrol - we always did Salzburg as a day trip when on walking in the Alps in the Tyrol! Thought that if those in the Tyrol made it really easy to do trips to Salzburg then then local ones would probably be just as helpful in enabling visitors to do trips outside of the city.

The area is very simple to reach from Salzburg since both countries signed the Schengen agreement there are normally no border controls and the two public transport systems ignore the border and go where people want to be!

I can confirm this, even before the Schengen agreement, the quickest way to get to get to Salzburg by road from some of the Tyrolean resorts was to cut across that finger of Bavaria that juts into Austria and it was never a problem to do so.

In most years, I doubt that you'd find much snow in the city itself in March (though it would still be cold) as it is at a comparatively low altitude but you would on the surrounding mountains. But I'd have normally said this about where I live in Scotland in past years too but this winter it's hanging around for far longer at far lower altitudes so you might strike lucky. Either way, you'll need to make sure that you wrap up well if planning on the mountain trips that Steve suggests and which are wll worth doing.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.