Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
hi madwomen

dont know if you have already looked in hotel reviews at the top left hand side- you can look under costa brava and the santa monica has some reviews for you to read :D

hope that helps you

ness :wink:
Hi

We went to this hotel in August 04, we were a party of 4 adults(we left the kids at home!!!!)

When we got there we had our rooms at the back of the hotel looking out onto the main road through Callela, and it wasn't a pretty sight!! If you can book a room with a pool view, much better.

The rooms were okay with a spacious bathroom, they have a tv in the room but you have to hire a remote from reception to make them work, i think the deposit was 30 euros, but you got that back.

The wardrobe space wasn't brill but we were in a room for 2 and we did manage!!

The rooms were cleaned every day.

The lifts in this hotel were to say the least tempermental!!! it was easier to use the stairs.

The food was fine,plenty of choice and always hot!!

There seemed to be loads of things for kids to do, they always seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The pool area was a bit busy but we went to the beach every day, that is 2 mins from the hotel

Plenty of pubs and restaurants around and the train to got to Barcelona about a 10 min walk .

We did enjoy this hotel and would recommend it.

If you need any more info,give me a shout

Dawn
Anyone just come back from this hotel in the last few weeks.

Just had a letter from Apollo saying that early construction work has started near the hotel, piledriving I guess.

We are due to go there in 4 weeks (8 May 2005) but obviously cannot take two 6 years olds to a hotel which is next door to a building site.

Apollo have not offered us anything as a replacement but we are onto them to get the Holiday changed with them footing some of the bill - so far its taken all day for them to check on availability of one other place, usually that would take a keypress to sort out.

Whats the chances really of getting Apollo to meet any of the cost of the change?, at the moment it looks like its going to cost us an extra £400 to £500 to change.
We have just got the same letter from Tompson and they have just about said the samw thing but at least we have 7 weeks to try to find somewhere different and we have a 3 year old we are going to ring abta
We have now changed from this hotel cannot risk taking 6 year olds to a potential building site.

I feel sorry for the people going in 2 weeks not much chance of changing at such short notice.

We are now heading for the Marina Torrenova in Palma Nova, Majorca at an extra cost of £392.

At least we know Majorca and it is kids friendly wasn't too sure about Calella to be honest.
Also had the same sort of letter. Booked through Portland. Does anyone know the extent of the building works / dust / noise etc. Travelling 3rd May. Talked to rep from Portland today not much info.
hi
We went to this hotel in the first week of may last year and noticed that the land directly in front of the hotel (just across one narrow road) was empty and had signs up sying it was ready to build on. So i am fairly certain that this would be the building work mentioned if it is then it is quite close it depend wether you want to be able to sit on your balcony and relax during the day !!!!!!!!!! It is a very nice hotel and we had a lovely time but the resort is quite quiet at that time we didnt have our kids with us or i think they may have been bored.
Kewstu i know it cost you alot to change but i think with 2 young kids at that time of year u probably made the right decision
Katherine
I have just read with interest the other two postings about the building works close to this hotel. I am interested to know how soon your holiday companys informed you of this prior to your holidays, we are due (family of 5, 3 children and 2 adults) to fly out on the 15th July.

Obviously it's a little way off, but i have rang my holiday company, and they claim to know nothing about the building works taking place, and to that end say they won't cause any disruption to guests in the hotel.

Also the family that changed to Majorca (i love Majorca!) did you have to pay any additional costs, such as cancelaition fees (normally about 20 quid per person) , on top of what ever else for higher priced accomodation or whatever.

We work hard for our holiday it really frustrates me that you get so little help from the tour companys once they have your money :(
We are no longer staying at this hotel, after what seems like hours on the phone to Thompsons, they have agreed to change the holiday with no financial penalties.
Interestingly the latest news is that the building works will cease over the summer period, but as yet dates are undecided, we felt too much could be left to chance, and are now holidaying in Corfu, although we do have to pay a little more as there are now no free child places!! but hey at least we are looking forward to our hols, instead of been apprehensive.

Good luck to the others who are trying to change to a different hotel. :lol:
:?: going there, on the 12 june, would like to know, what side of the hotel
the building work is been carried out, is it the pool side :?: :?: or the road side :?: ..
Have req, pool view, if poss :!: :!: any one please let me know :!: :!:

Have been offered alternative hotel ! but at a very high extra supplement.
But still would like to go to the Santa Monica... please help :!: :!: :!:

TIA, Snowey
if the building works are where i think they are then yes they are poolside which is directly in front of the hotel. and if it is going to be high rise then it will wipe out the sea view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck
Thanks, Kath. We recieved a letter from the T.O. saying that this work is at present is ongoing, and should stop at the begining of the second week in June:!: Then start up again end of Sept :!: Hope this info helps someone....
as we are travelling within the next two weeks it looks as though we will not be able to change. Would also be difficult as we need to stay around that area and at that time as we are going to the grand prix. Hopefully it wont spoil our holiday. Will post an update when we get back (after 11th May). Hopefully this will give others some idea of the extent of the building work.
hi steve
we were there last year when the grand prix was on and the ferrari team were in the hotel next door. i dont suppose they will be looking quite so happy this year though !!!!!!!!l lol
Katherine :lol:
Just read about the building work near this hotel.My and my family are due to fly out on the 19 july.Does anyone know if the building work will bre going on then.Im very worried as i have asthma quite bad.And it really wouldnt do my chest any good.If anyone has any more information that would be great
Hi carlyh, read my early post, snowey :!: :!: :!:
Hi snowey thanks for the information
Ive just phoned thompson to check with them regarding building work.They told me they dont know anything about it.So i dont know what to think now?
Hi, Caryl,

It may well be that the building work will not be ongoing when you go
We are going with Portland in June ( 12th ) they sent us a letter about the building work, as they are part of Thomsons why not ring them for a second opinion :?: :o
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.