Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
My friend has flown a few times with Emirates & spoke highly of her experience. However I'm sure she too will be switching when she hears of the price increase for seat reservations.

Just out of interest what's the price comparison now Bill between the 2 airlines?
BA charges for seat reservations. Not sure what they are now as I have had free seat choices~( probably not for much longer). I doubt though that they charge £65 for an economy seat, although I think that is the charge for CW.
I keep hearing about qatar's great pricing but I must be unlucky as I always seem to find them far too high.
I've looked for economy flight prices for trips I'm currently planning - and I've seen no real difference. Sometimes Emirates are a few pounds cheaper, sometimes Qatar are cheaper. Though the huge seat reservation fees now charged by Emirates make that airline by far the most expensive if taken into account.
And while I too, used to say Emirates were wonderful, they have made major cutbacks to economy meal standards over the last 12 months, they now cram in more passengers to their 777 and A380 planes with smaller seats and reduced legroom, they usually now play ghastly pop music over the public address system during the whole boarding process - where once upon at time - one could appreciate the quiet "Emirates Theme" tune without being deafened by music one does not like or want.
Emirates seem now to have decided they will aim to win the "Race to the Bottom" in standards and service in economy.
And the experience at their hub in Dubai where one usually has to change planes is also ghastly now - most UK flights come in at one terminal and you have to walk miles AND usually take a train to reach your flight out to Asia from a different terminal.
I really really have turned against Emirates. Never again.
  • Edited by ukbill 2018-01-09 16:56:32
I have used Qatar before and its pretty easy changing planes. They have it down to a T! I will keep looking for good prices!
Here's just one example from the many I've looked at today for myself.
Manchester to Phuket, Thailand on 15th Nov 2018, returning 2nd December.
Emirates 595 UK pounds return including taxes but NOT including any seat reservation
Qatar 548 UK pounds return including taxes and including FREE seat reservation
In both cases lowest cost economy ticket, similar flight timings, same luggage allowance.
So Qatar about 8% cheaper.
Check any flights - Emirates do seem more expensive now.

And here's another point why I now detest Emirates....(from Manchester)
Emirates fly jampacked full A380s out of Manchester and the boarding experience is hell because Manchester Airport is not set up to properly handle such huge planes (there's only a single crowded gate at the far end of T1 which can be used - expect to walk about 0.5 miles at least- with no travelators - and boarding/deplaning can take up to an hour)
Qatar use the smaller Dreamliner 787 on this route - and Manchester does easily cope with it. Several airlines fly 787s out of Manchester to lots of destinations, and any gate can handle them efficiently and quickly.
Thanks Bill I'm sure your post will be helpful to others who are planning a similar trip 👍
Great info Bill - thanks for posting..
Bill.
What about Cathay Pacific from Manchester.?

Are they any better/worse.?

Sanji x
Sorry Sanji, I've got no personal experience of them but I've heard good reports. My daughter has used them a lot out in the Far East and she thinks they are great. But she did get a couple of free unexpected upgrades from them so that may have biased her views!
:)
I've only used Cathay Pacific once and got a free upgrade as well! So I can't really help either :-)
My son has used CP twice from Manchester and he's been pleased with their service.
I wasn't asking for me, I was suggesting /asking about an alternative to Emirates for Bill.

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.