Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
What type of aircraft was it?

During the summer especially, aircraft get a great deal of use, and it can be that there is a technical fault that requires attention for the safety of those on board. Whilst I can fully sympathise with your situation, at least your aircraft was airworthy and you got home without a long delay. It must have been an awful situation, and merits you telling us about it. Sadly I think the terms and conditions of Thomson would indicate that they have the right to change planes, as you experienced firsthand, so whilst your flight home was not 'as described in the brochure' I would think that you could write an effective letter of complaint, but not hold your breath for any specific 'compensation'. Sorry if this sounds defeatist, but at least you're home safe and sound now and able to tell the tale.
It has already been said that technical difficulties (that all embracing phrase) can and do occur. You would need to prove that it was anything else that caused the substitution of an aircraft. They did fulfil their contract in that sense. As far as in flight entertainment whilst it as an advertised if they had to substitute an aircraft then I suppose they could claim that it was unfortunate. Not every plane is fitted out the same.

Should you complain? I see no reason why not. Whilst they can point to T&Cs it was not of the standard they had promised/advertised. I don't think you will get a great deal, possibly a voucher for future use. What have you got to lose for the price of a stamp?

fwh
I see a pattern forming here. When the swine flu started off in Mexico, Thomson substituted the planes with more seats with planes with less seats. I was victim of that on the way back from Aruba.

Now that Mexico is back as a holiday destination (with cheap fares to boot), demand has increased so planes with more seats are despatched.

Nothing to do with breakdowns. More likely to do with supply and demand and the selfish increase of profits by TUI.

Brochures advertise increased legroom on longhaul. You booked your holiday on that information. A contract is formed based on that which TUI has not fulfilled.

Yes, the Ts and Cs state that they can change airplanes and even airlines but nowhere in these Ts and Cs does it then state that as a result of this facilities promised and forming part of that contract are not provided as a result of that plane change.

Whilst to the aviation experts a change of plane may naturally result in loss of legroom/facilities, to the normal punter it is not always obvious.

At best it is false advertising. At worst deliberately not fulfilling a contract.

My opinion.

Mark :)
The OP has still not told us/me what the substituted aircraft was. I would be very surprised if the substituted plane was 'short haul' - without knowing the type - as short haul aircraft would not have the fuel capacity, nor possibly the galley capacity to handle a Mexico-UK route.
Problem is the airline can't win can they. If they opted for waiting on your original "long-haul" aircraft to be repaired and a long delay followed, I'm sure that they would have had more people screaming around the airport complaining about the delay and demanding that the airline finds another plane to take them on holiday. Not an easy task I would imagine in the height of summer.

They find an alternative aircraft and get everyone on their way - yet that is seen by some as wrong as well.

I think fwh's point is fair and gives a good recommendation.

Hope you had a good holiday and can put the transportation problem aside.
Whilst that would be the case if there was such a repair, from personal experience I have known Thomson Airways to be a little economical with the truth about these matters and have for myself experienced that a change of aircraft was done for their own economical benefit whilst still informing customers it was a last minute unforeseen change.

Not saying that it is the case for the OP but I am rather sceptical given the fact it refers to Thomson Airways. Please also read through the Thomson Airways topic in the fights section where recently aircraft configurations have changed on a very frequent basis.

Either Thomson has a lot of mechanical problems with their aircraft, or there is more than this that meets the eye.

Mark :)
It's an 11+ hour flight to Mexico.

Certainly out of range of commercial short haul planes (without stopovers which it doesn't sound like it was). Obviously only the Original Poster can advise if it was a non-Thomson plane utilised, but sounds like it was.

I wouldn't rule out the probability that they did exactly what they said - the scheduled aircraft broke down and they utilised the quickest way to get them home. I'm sure 29 inches, 4 hour delay and main TV screen is preferable to a 30+ hour delay in and out of airports and airport hotels.

Not saying that's what happened, but I am saying don't rule it out, it's a common enough occurance to have to switch planes due to technical issues, and i'm sure Thomson didn't have a spare plane lying around.
Subject: short haul plane used for long haul flight

Alsacienne wrote:
The OP has still not told us/me what the substituted aircraft was. I would be very surprised if the substituted plane was 'short haul' - without knowing the type - as short haul aircraft would not have the fuel capacity, nor possibly the galley capacity to handle a Mexico-UK route.

When the original poster refers to a short haul aircraft, they are referring to the routes that aircraft usually performs, it was still a 767-300 with the range abilities, but rather than 258 or 283 seats (long haul) it had(has)328 seats, giving the aircraft a "short haul" configuration and seat pitch we are accustomed to on charter short haul.
Subject: short haul plane used for long haul flight

Travelling Sam wrote:

Not saying that's what happened, but I am saying don't rule it out, it's a common enough occurance to have to switch planes due to technical issues, and i'm sure Thomson didn't have a spare plane lying around.

They do, however the standby aircraft has to have enough seats to carry the passengers from the highest capacity aircraft in the fleet.

e.g. Thomson has varying configurations ranging from 148-328 seats, as nice as it would be to have an ex-first choice 767 as the standby aircraft, it couldn't then operate a rescue flight for a ex-Thomson long haul flight(283) or a short haul flight utilising a ex-thomson 767-300.
Thanks BY-TOM-AMM-FCA! Now I understand better ................
booked another long haul flight for the 6th dec with thomson. And guess what with a week to go to departure a letter again to say they cant provide 33" leg room or seat back tvs.Thats twice in less then 12 weeks it as happened to us why do they keep advertising it when they obviously cant provide them.I know it dosent sound much but when you are sat on a plane for over 10 hours with only 30" leg room and a drop down tv that you cant see belive me its no fun.How would i go on with reguards cancelling the holiday .thanks julie
Julie have they offered you the option to cancel?? As this is a Thomson Airways flight and I suspect a Thomson Holiday they will offer you nothing only if you cancel you will have to pay for the Holiday,all covered I am afraid in the small print.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.