General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
What airline did you fly with. thomas cook did away with their in flight entertainment on short haul over a year ago now. not sure about the other big airlines.
Thomson still have it, last used Thomson on short haul to Tenerife in June this year
I went to Rhodes with Thomson in May and there was no IFE. Only the lovely video of the children explaining the safety.
How odd - definitely had something I didn't watch as too nosey but it was a TV programme as opposed to a film
There was IFE 2 weeks ago with Thomson flight to Hurgada. The X-men, followed by another couple of TV programmes.
I think it depends if the IFE is working or not! :rofl
I am flying with Thomson on Thursday so will take my ear phones just in case. :tup
Thomas Cook flight this year. Flew on a Thomson/BA flight last year and no in flight entertainment.
Thomson will be stopping all IFE on short/med haul flights from November, so IFE look to be a thing of the past unless on a long haul flight.
Can't see the point on shorthaul (we didn't have any on Thomson or Monarch this year) due to constant interruptions - take off, drinks, meals, duty free/gifts, drinks - time to land!
Indeed it appears that our flight comes under the category of medium haul as it was between 3hrs and 7hrs. The constant interruptions mentioned were much less of an interruption when you had something to take your mind off it. I don`t drink on a plane , except water which I bring on, and I don`t buy the goods on offer. I only have the meal if i had to pay for it. No IFE means that they have even more selling time and passengers will by more drink, in particular, to kill time.
Baggage allowance now cut to 15kg , not a late booking, and charges for anything they can think of.
Been on a few flights to Sharm which is 5 hours out and 6 back and not had inflight entertainment either. I think it is going to become a thing of the past on short haul, probably another way for them to save money. We do take portable electricals like small DVD players, Ipods, kindles for the teens perhaps more people are doing that so it isn't getting used anymore, but I can appreciate a lot of people don't want to cart all that stuff with them if they are not going to use it on their holiday as well.

Doe :sun2
IFE details for the main holiday airlines are given on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). Thomson are removing IFE on short / medium haul flights from November. With the onset of low cost airlines who don't offer any IFE, it's becomming increasingly difficult for charter airlines to compete with low cost carriers while still offering IFE and other inflight services. Many have therefore reluctantly had to cut costs and stop IFE in order to stay competative. Market research has also shown many don't benefit from IFE. Personally, I like watching a film on a flight but seemingly many don't and provide their own. Long haul IFE remains.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.