Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We should be asking ourselves... is it safe to travel to the UK ?
Well Egyptian bombings haven't stopped me travelling to Egypt 4 times since October 2004! The first was just 10 days after bombings in Taba. The last visit was booked just before the bombings in Dahab. As I was travelling just with my 16 year old daughter I gave her the opportunity to cancel booking. She insisted on going and we had an ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS time. However, do appreciate that some people, especially those with young children choose not to travel to a place of perceived increased risk, including London!
If I was on holiday in Egypt I would have seriuos doubts about the wisdom or need to travel to the UK.
If I was going to Egypt today I would just to have to queue for hours, wouldn't I?
The following link gives details of what can and connot be carried as at 10/08-06. As the situation is ongoing hopefully these restrictions won't be in force for too long (especially for those of us who carry things for every eventuality with us like snails on our backs, including bathing stuff, sarongs and complete change of clothes just in case luggage doesn't get there!)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

Hope not too many HT members caught up in today's chaos!
hi, terrible news......do you think the restrictions will still be in place in two weeks?
We fly to Sharm next Thursday. Will the restrictions with hand luggage still be in place by then?
We are travelling with 2 children, both of them usually take game boys. We also normally take a backpack for the 6 year old with colouring stuff and comics in it to keep him entertained. How on earth are we going to amuse him otherwise?
There are going to be alot of very stressed out parents travelling throughout the country, when they eventually do get off the ground. I know the safety of all passengers is paramount, but a few colouring books is'nt going to harm anyone surely!
Not being funny, as a government worker i can see why they have placed these restrictions, travellers should be grateful that their wellbeing and childrens wellbeing are top priority, i would be more worried about a bomb than about queues for extra security and colouring books, i do appreciate where you are coming from, but i think this have been totally blown out of proportion, what is more important afterall!! I mean, how would you feel if your family/children were killed by a bomb and you did not even have a body to bury, all for a little inconvenience, which i assure is only a temporary measure. I think the plot have been lost somewhere, if anyone find its it, let me know. Please dont take this offensively, it is not meant that way, just stating the facts. You cant please everyone.
I can see why they wont let books etc on at a time like this, as people can hollow them out and put all sorts of things in them. 300 books equal extra delays whilst security check every single book to see if something is secreted inside. Same with pencil cases, packs of pencils and all sorts of periferal hand luggage that isn't really necessary when there is a high security alert going on.
the way ive heard it on tv is when you get though passport control and all the checks have been done you can buy what you want from the duty free area so if thats the case why dont you buy colouring stuff and comics in there and any other items you need,but i could be wrong on this so i would phone airport and just ask
im going to luxor in 2 weeks my husband as insulin and medcince ,have aletter from doctor
I don't know if it's the same in all airports, but in Bristol Airport I have heard that they have shut all the shops
When we arrived back at Gatwick Monday night, there seemed to be more armed police in the terminal than usual, as well as more staff at the red/green channels. Now if only they put more staff on at the incoming passport desks, that would be helpful. :evil:

im going to luxor in 2 weeks my husband as insulin and medcince

You use your husband as insulin? How does that work? :lol:
whatever next, using your cats as condoms!!
this is what the Government and Airlines have agreed: -
Currently, travellers must place all personal property in their hold luggage with only the following allowed on board aircraft as hand luggage in a clear plastic bag:

CABIN LUGGAGE ALLOWED

Pocket-sized wallets and purses, plus contents
Passports and travel tickets
Prescription medicines, not in liquid form unless can be verified as authentic
Essential medical items such as diabetic kit
Glasses and sunglasses, no cases
Contact lens holders, no bottles of solution Baby food and milk for those with infants - contents of each bottle must be tasted by accompanying passenger
Essential sanitary items for infants
Female sanitary items, unboxed
Tissues, unboxed, or handkerchiefs
Keys, but no electric key fobs

Further details can be found here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778615.stm as well as links to local airports for advice.
what i dont understand is or am i being thick i cant take a bottle of water on the plane in my hand but i can put one in my suitcase i dont get it surely we musnt take liquids in the cabin or in the hold :roll: :roll:
Hi Louiselancs, Presumeably this is because according to news reports the bombers were going to detonate liquid bombs carried on their person. Staff will not have time to check non essential drinks at check in but would think you can still buy drinks after security control.....
Unfortunately we live in a sick, wicked world.

Lets hope that everyone leaving the UK arrive at their detsinations safely and with the least delay, hindrance and inconvenience.

It would seem that the restrictions will be still in force during at least the next few days and possibly weeks. Hopefully the airlines will help families out by providing colouring kits and games on board for the kids to play with ( as used to be the case with the scheduled airlines ). Likewise, duty free sales will still be available on board.

But I do feel sorry for all the travellers caught up in today's delays, especially holiday makers as, whilst business travellers can often reschedule meetings and assignments, they may be going out on their only possible holidays for the year.
I think the gist was the bomb would be assembeled on the plane from things taken aboard, including liquid explosives in drinks bottels. In the hold unasembeled, these would just be harmless items...
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.