Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Good morning dear friend

Read again my post, the shoes are a need even you may look funny

At sandy beaches you may step on a small fish, the great weever which hides at sand waiting for small fish to catch. It will not move even if you step on it and is very-very painfull.
At rocky bottoms there are sea-urchins but you can see them easily

Now, these shoes are plastic and very cheap, you can buy at any mini-market in Greece, just ask for swimming shoes or in case they do not speak English "papoutsia yia thalassa" or "papoutsia yia mpanio"
I guess it depends on the type of beach you are on to be honest but in hot weather the sand can be extremely hot anyway.

As Skyliss mentions, you usually can buy plastic shoes locally.
I have had a pair of Clarks springer sandals for years and I always bung them in the case as they are ideal for pebbly beaches and going in the sea - they are machine washable too (so come up good as new when you get home) and very hard wearing. They cost me £35 but they've been a great investment as I wear them for walking around sightseeing too and they are really comfy.
I've got "sea slippers" the ones with a material top and rubber soles - they look naff but they're great. The other half got a pair last year (after much nagging) and asked "Why didn't you make me buy a pair before...."! Men! :roll:
We have a similar thing which we purchase a pair each in resort last year for 7ev per pair

wizard
Last year I went swimming in my sandals because I cannot stand walking on stoney beaches! :oops: They soon dried out in the hot sun and I am wearing them as I am typing this, so no real damage!
I bought a pair of those "jelly" sandals. They cost me around 6 euros and are great.
You are hardly aware of them when swimming and as puddleduck says, the sand is often so hot they save you from burning your feet too! :lol:

John
We stayed in Lassi last year, and visited Skala for the day, whilst in the sea something bit the top of my foot causing it to bleed badly and all the skin had come off.
Good morning all

Dear iallen
You propably step on a Ray with sting, have a look at my other post: Dangerous Creatures at Holidays
I've often had small fish having a nibble at my feet while in the sea but this year one bit my knee...............It was quite a nip and gave me a bit of a shock! It didn't draw blood or leave a mark but i did make a bit of a noise! What a wimp i am.....................people must have thought i had been bitten by Jaws! :shock:
We both have sea shoes which we bought in Cornwall years ago and they are fab for hot or stoney beaches and swimming in more exotic places - you do look silly but it saves a lot of trouble. Sadly in some holiday resorts you still have to beware of litter and broken glass etc. The only problem we had was one year my feet swelled and I had to borrow my husbands shoes as my pair wouldn't fit so we took it in turns to swim in the sea.

Some years ago I got stung / bitten in the sea on my finger when I touched the seabed close to the shore in Wales of all places! The sting was the size of a small red pin prick but my hand swelled up to the size of a small football - ok maybe large tennis ball but it looked huge to me. The initial bite really hurt and the hand was out of action for a day or so - it gradually went down after some panic and a trip to local medical help and I am very careful now as I can and do have severe reactions as this demonstrated. You can't always tell how you will react. It was some fish buried in the sand that bite me but I take care around all sea creatures now just in case as I have had worse reactions to other things. I don't want to spend my hols in a hospital. :(
You propably steped on a fish called "Drakaina" in Greece but have a look at my post Dangerous Creatures at Holidays

You may also find infos for Samos ATM machines at the post for ATM's

Hope I helped, Spyros
Many people we have seen this year are using crocs in the sea, seems to me to be the best place for them, unstylish things.
Crocs in the sea - do they bite :shock: :wink: :wink:
lolololol..........Lucky Greece, we are very far from Indonesia!!!!!
Hi

I purchased a pair of Aqua shoes a couple of years ago for jet ski use and scuba diving. Often with scuba diving you have to make your way out to a dive boat carrying your kit and with the extra weight treading on a sharp sea shell or rock is very painful and then you have the risk of infection if anything is left in the wound. The Aqua shoes were very durable and with good sole & side protection they were ideal for for this.

Sandals and flip flops are ok on a stoney beach but, stubbing a toe on rocks is very painful if you venture in the sea with a bit of surf hiding the dangers below... .. :(

These were similar to what i had (see link) and the prices have come down looking at this site.

http://www.ifsogo.com/core/media/media.nl/id.1163/c.652590/.f?h=f5843ab25d8cab433ca4

Full Range from this supplier..

http://www.ifsogo.com/Holiday/aquashoes_all

WC
I've just bought a pair of Teva "pretty rugged" nylon strapped sandals so that I can wear them in the sea, as the last few places I've been have had pebble beaches. I've had some leather walking ones and they are really comfortable and have thick soles with good grip. Got a really good sale price on them at "Go Outdoors". Should be great for walking into the sea next week in Meganissi - just need to look out for those crocs :lol:
On 1st August 2007 at 10:37am, Skyllis said:
Good morning dear friend

Read again my post, the shoes are a need even you may look funny

At sandy beaches you may step on a small fish, the great weever which hides at sand waiting for small fish to catch. It will not move even if you step on it and is very-very painfull.
At rocky bottoms there are sea-urchins but you can see them easily

Now, these shoes are plastic and very cheap, you can buy at any mini-market in Greece, just ask for swimming shoes or in case they do not speak English "papoutsia yia thalassa" or "papoutsia yia mpanio"
i guess basketball shoes will remain more comfortable at these situations because they have high traction good material and great support which will help you out at rocky areas. check this for great basketball shoes.. https://basketballonpoint.com/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.