General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
No, you're not daft. Just think whether you would want other EU countries to support the UK with tourism or trade rather than go elsewhere, I think you would appreciate it if they did.
To decide where exactly (after all it is your holiday!) make a list of the things you like to do/see, such as history, sites, beaches, mountains, walks, tradition etc, or even just laze around in a 'resort', then take your pick!
I had considered going to Eire/Republic of Ireland (southwest corner) this past summer (2010) in a self-catering cottage or apartment for a fortnight. The accommodation seemed incredibly expensive when compared with similar accommodation in the touristic region in which I live - especially when comparing like with like ... same fortnight, same number of bedrooms and price in euros. And once I'd added on the cost of motorway tolls and the overnight ferries between France and Eire, it was way out of my budget. Very disappointed, but there's always next year or a few years down the line. Hopefully the countryside will still be as beautiful.
We love Lanzarote and go at least once a year. We always self cater and eat out as we feel that helps the local restaurants etc. I wouldn't consider going All Inclusive for that reason. Plus the restaurants are too good to miss for AI food.
we will [when i get it booked] be going to Kos this year [we go every other year to the same hotel] and probably Cyprus [depending on cost] Or somewhere on the west end of the med

yasus
wizard
We often choose somewhere in Greece but not because it's in the Eu. I choose my holiday by its affordability coupled with weather and its ability to provide me with the type of things I like. I'm afraid being part of the EU doesn't come into it.
Not visiting the EU for our main holiday which we take in the winter. Theres nowhere in the EU which has the warmth we crave in January. Short breaks we take in summer though, then its off to the likes of Portugal.
no your not daft at all , a lot of people are put off by the euro, but to be honest with you and this is only my experience we found greece a lot cheaper than turkey .
Greece is my favourite destination - for it's people, it's food, it's music - I could go on and on. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with it being part of Europe. I holiday in places which appeal to me at the time of booking, and take lts of things into consideration, price, departure airport, flight times, cost of living etc. Where the actual country is doesn't often come into the equation, unless I decide I don't want a long haul flght.
nice thought, but, for us, it all comes down to a lot more factors than supporting fellow EU countries, I mean for the last coupla years, its been around the same price for us to go long haul all inclusive as it has been to go self catering in europe, so, it all comes down to value for money high up there with destination, its never been in our price range to go to the carribean, but when I sat and did the sums ( with the rate of the euro) it was a given really .
But I do love europe and would always prefer a shorter flight time, so will be doing me sums again for 2011 :tup
Please don't shout the idea very loudly someone in authority might think the idea is to good to turn down. We have been to Cyprus for the last seven years - yes it is now part of the EEC but that is incidental. Our first visit was because we had got fed up with Spain and the feeling that after all our years holidaying there we were being ripped off. We got a good deal and whilst it is more expensive the cost is not top of our list when choosing a holiday.

People will, I believe, choose a holiday destination that suits them. Cost obviously does enter into the equation for families but cost is not the only thing. We did a coach tour of Spain a few years ago and never again, yet people on the same holiday were doing it several times a year. We have no desire to do long haul and are very unlikely to do so unless our youngest moves to LA. He has job offers there and keeps going out to do specific ones.

There are lots of places to visit around the world but then you would need several lifetimes just to enjoy the experiences here in the UK. If we want to help the economy why not start here at home? Why give our money to someone else? They don't worry about the state of our economy but are happy to take our money.

fwh
I wouldn't choose a holiday on whether it is in the EU or not, I choose to go somewhere because I like it. I had not even considered it before to tell the truth!

I think if it was a concern of mine it would be far better to holiday in the UK and give my money to our own country. However I prefer to go abroad for my main holiday so it will probably be Turkey again for us, although we may go to Greece, we haven't decided yet.
Ok: I love both these countries & it'd be a joy to re-visit either.
Regarding Uk or N. Ireland where I am.... yes that's the obvious choice if my conscience is pricking me that much, but I'm selfish enough to want really good weather for at least 2 weeks in the year. :sun2
So I suppose I was wondering if they're both equal in the balance should loyalty to a fellow Eu member state win out?
(And I do agree that Turkey's prices seem to have risen more than Greece's over the past couple of years despite being in the euro so it's not necessarily the cheaper option)
The only advantage of the Euro is that when you travel across Europe you only have to change your money and get ripped off by the banks once! I often holiday in Europe but solidarity with the EU is never a reason for my choice! If we were not in the EU I think I would visit just as often.
If we were not in the EU I think I would visit just as often.
-assuming of course that they were prepared to have you. One of the EU's main principles is the right to free movement between countries for citizens of all member states. Without that right you could end up queueing for visas etc. like the non-EU people trying to get into the UK.

Whether or not slightly more people visit the countries in financial trouble won't really make a lot of difference to that problem. The sums of money involved are so big that whole markets would have to change plans - like everyone who is planning to visit USA goes to Ireland instead. But that wouldn't work in practical terms since they wouldn't have enough bed space!

But if you do visit one of the troubled countries try and use locally owned hotels etc so that the money you pay isn't siphoned off to somewhere else.
We dont care whether the country is within the EU or not..we go becuase we like going and do not even consider it important as to whether the country is within the EU.

Our favourite holiday destinations are Malta/Gozo ( joined the EU a couple of years ago and desperately regrets it), Egypt...and The Canary Islands (part of Spain and therefore within the EU). I do not consider it my duty to stay within Europe...it just happens that way sometimes.

I think part of the problem is that the £ has plummeted in value and much of Europe is in crisis..so it makes it expensive, sometimes ridiculously so, to do the things we have always done ( scuba diving). There are still bargains to be had..we find Gozo is very good for that.
Hi No you're not daft. My favourite place too is Greece and the only reason we are not going next year is because my boyfriend moans we go there too much. :)
steve8482 wrote:
If we were not in the EU I think I would visit just as often.
-assuming of course that they were prepared to have you. One of the EU's main principles is the right to free movement between countries for citizens of all member states. Without that right you could end up queueing for visas etc. like the non-EU people trying to get into the UK.

Whether or not slightly more people visit the countries in financial trouble won't really make a lot of difference to that problem. The sums of money involved are so big that whole markets would have to change plans - like everyone who is planning to visit USA goes to Ireland instead. But that wouldn't work in practical terms since they wouldn't have enough bed space!

But if you do visit one of the troubled countries try and use locally owned hotels etc so that the money you pay isn't siphoned off to somewhere else.

Well that's up to them really. If a country puts too many obstacles in my way then I won't want to spend my money there with them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.