Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
We travelled with Singapore airlines at Christmas this year and because we had booked the flight via a travel agent we could not book our seats on-line or do the on-line check in.

On calling our travel agent she explained that only seats booked directly with Singapore Airlines allowed you to do this. It may well have changed by now though - your travel agent will be able to answer your questions.
Thanks for your replies.

Wilsonjenny - how did your journey go! Any hints or tips gratefully received. Did you have to wait long at Singapore airport and if you got an interconnecting flight there did you have to re-claim baggage etc.

Can you tell I've never done this type of thing before and I'm beginning to PANIC already !!!

Ali x
Don't panic - everything went smoothly and we were really impressed. We had a stopovers in Singapore on the way to Bali and on the way back via Perth. On the way out we stayed at The Orchard and on the way back Copethorne Waterfront (preferred for location). Both hotels were good and booked with Singapore airlines as part of their stopover package.

We went Manchester - Singapore - Bali - Perth - Singapore - Manchester.

All check ins were via e-ticket and went smoothly with no problems. In-flight entertainment very good and as comfortable as economy would allow. Food - okay but nothing to rave about. Singapore airport is the best airport I have ever been to. It's a real shopping experiencel - expensive though. If you have a long time to wait before going on to Sydney they have various programmes you can do - i.e. Singapore tour and other options depending on how long you have between flights- can't remember but they were very good. There is also free internet stations. I doubt whether you will be disappointed as they are very efficient.

Baggage is usually checked in through to your departure airport if you are travelling on with the same airline, but it may well have changed now with the new restrictions.

:gluck
Nice to hear good reports on Singapore airlines as we're travelling with them from Manchester via Singapore to New Zealand in October. We booked on-line and as part of the booking process were able to choose meals and seats. It was all very easy to do. We only have about 2 - 3 hours in Singapore, so not long enough to do the city tour..
Thanks for your reassuring comments!

We have a 2 hour stopover on the way to Sydney but have a 3 day stopover on the way back.

Excuse my ignorance but what are e-tickets?

Ali x
e-tickets are when you don't have an actual printed ticket from the airline - just paper with all the details on that you present to the check in desk. I was a little aprehensive at first, but the airlines are used to it. All the low cost carriers use this system.

We only had one slip of A4 paper for the whole journey, so it was important that I didn't lose it!

:fly
Wilsonjenny

We're looking at going to Australia next year flying with Singapore Airlines to Melbourne and returning from Sydney. We are also looking at doing the stopover both on the way there and on the way back. Can I ask, when you did your trip, did you have to pay to stop over? I'm only asking because our Travel Advisor said that Singapore Airlines were offering free stopovers. Also, did you get to chose where you stayed and were the hotels close to the airport or nearer the centre - would seem a shame to stay near the airport and not see anything.

Regards
Gill
I did a free stopover with Singapore Airlines a couple of years ago,stayed 2 nights, it included transportation into the City (not far)from the airport a choice of hotels in different price ranges (in different locations) free transportaion( a special bus that circles the city, with lots of stops)around the city in the the daytime during my stay and vouchers for free or discount entry to various attractions. At this time I only paid a very small amount for the first night in a hotel then more for a second, that was all, it just depends on what level of accomodation you choose. Although
I had been to Singapore a couple of times previously but it was still worth stopping, it's a great city and a welcome break on long journeys. Be ready for the humidity though.
Hi Gillbabe

Unfortunately we had to pay for our stopovers, but we did get free transportation to the hotels on both occasions. We stayed just prior to Christmas this year, so whether this made any difference, I don't know. You don't usually get any freebies over Christmas and N Year- this is the most expensive time of the year to travel! I think all travel companies and airlines make the most of this time to screw their customers and to claw back the money they lose throughout the year when they give last minute deals. It is the price you have to pay if you want to go away at Christmas time.

From memory it did not cost that much. I think it was under £200 for both of us for 4 nights in 4* accommodation. No food was included though, but you do get lots of discount tickets to use for trips.
just booked and will be going to bali via (2 day stop off,there and back at singapore,anyone flew with singapore airlines.am i correct in beleiving that you get free drinks on the flight.any info would be usefull thanks,les :)
Meals and drinks, all free. Enjoy your holiday.
All free, and you get a choice of meals too. Usually one eastern style and one western style choice.

I was very impressed with Sinagapore airlines - individual TVs inlaid into the headrest of the seat in front also with films you can stop and start as you wish.

I'm not a usual long haul flier so can't compare it to other airlines but I'm sure you will have a very comfortable flight.
I am due to fly to New Zealand tomorrow, from Manchester to Auckland via Singapore. I logged into Singapore airlines web site yesterday afternoon to see when I could check in online. There seemed to be an extra flight in my booking summary that didn't make sense, so I thought I'd better phone them. After half an hour on hold, I was told that the 2nd leg of my flight has been reschedules and instead of 3 hours at Singapore airport, we now have 15! This also meant cancelling our first hotel in NZ. It would have been nice to have been told - if I hadn't looked at the web, the first I'd have known would have been at check in which would probably have meant us having to pay for the missed hotel night.

Now I need to change my mindset from being livid to using the opportunity to see Singapore for a day, which I think you can do from the airport. Just checked the weather and it's 33 and sunny in Singapore on Saturday - at least I know to pack something appropriate in the hand luggage - than goodness thy have relaxed the limits.

Any ideas what my rights are here regarding compensation, etc?

Also any last minute hints and tips on what to do in Singapore for 15 hours would be appreciated.
All part of Singapore Airlines declining service. They have been getting worse over the years, they used to be the best but I'm afraid they are really slipping. I think they should provide you with a hotel room (there is a hotel on Changi Airport).
You can take a free 2 hr sightseeing trip from the airport . You just go to the Singapore Visitors Centre on the Airport. Though with 15 hours you could probably see a bit more of the city arranging it yourself. It doesn't take long to get there from the airport. Try the food there are lots of cheap places to eat, Indian, Chinese, Malay or European. Go down to Clarks Quay and take a bumboat ride round the harbour, there are loads of possibilities. The botanical gardens are lovely (but it can be very hot walking round). Check out the shops on Orchard Road, if it gets too hot spend some time in one of the airconditioned malls. You certainly have enough time to see quite a bit of the City.
It's not too bad spending time on the airport as they are really geared up for transit passengers. See http://www.Changiairport.com.
I hope you were able to cancell your hotel in NZ without charge. Have a good holiday.
Thanks Judith, it does look like there are worse airports to be stuck at! Fortunatlly I managed to cancel the hotel without charge, if I'd only found out at check-in it might have been different. As there's nothing I can do about, I'm determined not to let it spoil things. I bet there will be some angry people if they only find out when they check in for the flight!
Just to update this - we returned from New Zealand on Saturday (back to the grind :cry: ). When we go to the airport, we complained (politely), only to be told that they didn't have to give us anything, as our flight was rescheduled, rather than delayed. When I explained that we'd had to cancel a hotel and we hadn't been told, they said they would see what they could do for us in Singapore and to check at the desk when we got there. Just before we were due to disembark, there was a message on the tannoy to contact a member of staff and we were given a voucher for a day room at a hotel, transport there and back and breakfast and lunch. We were able to go to the hotel (the room turned out to be a huge suite) have a few hours sleep, have some lunch, then get a taxi to the orchid gardens, which were spectacular. We were then able to go back to the hotel to shower and change, fresh for the next flight - so all's well that ends well :D

PS New Zealand was fantastic too!
Glad to hear everything turned out well. I wonder if other passengers who were rescheduled got the same treatment. NZ is a great holiday destination would love to return one day.
Hya,
I have booked to fly with Singapore Airlines to Perth in March 07.
It is meant to be a one stop flight, stopping over in Singapore for 2 hours.
I have been informed on another board that, Singapore Airlines are now stoppin at Zurich for a further 2 hours as standard, although this is not showing on tickets as being so.
Can anyone back this up pleas? the flight is long enough without having to stop for a further 2 hours.
Thanks in advance
Debi.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.