Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
singapore
8 Posts
Who said that? Shorts and flip flops are just fine.

Obviously respect has to be shown in temples and places of worship. We were often told that below knee length shorts would suffice, but this was more in Thailand and Cambodia. Singapore is very western, you see all kinds of dress code throughout the country.
What would you wear in a UK city on a hot summers day? then you can wear the same in Singapore. But as the previous poster said you should cover up in places of worship.
I totally agree with the other posters. You can even wear your shorts and flip flops in Melbourne if it's warm enough ... I live in Melbourne so I know. However, we call our flip flops 'thongs' :rofl
Have a wonderful time in Melbourne.
Cheers Geri
thank you all for putting my mind at rest i was so worried about having to buy all different clothes or should i say my husband was haha. thank you gerib for your advice i should say when i said Melbourne i think it is longwarry a way out from Melbourne i think. i hope the weather is kind to us. once again thank you all.
regards paty.
You can't beat shopping on Orchard Road
If you are a shopaholic, perhaps Orchard Road is for worthwhile.

There is nothing available that cannot be purchased elsewhere (not only in Singapore) and prices for branded or design items are about the same as, or pehaps slightly higher than, you will pay in other major cities. If you are looking for something specific then perhaps a visit is worthwhile. There is little difference between the Orchard Road malls and those found elsewhere in the city.

It would be a shame to visit an city with so much to offer of a local nature that too much time can easily be spent going from shopping mall to shopping mall in the heat and humidity.

:think The nicest feature of most of the shopping areas is the air-conditioning. :think

Peter
As Pete B said the shops on Orchard Road are great for their air conditioning. If you are like me( and lots of women) and just like looking around shops then the ones on Orchard Road are great for their variety of goods and I have often wandered around them for an hour or so just to look and cool down but as as previously posted they are rarely any cheaper than anywhere else.
When I'm with my husband though he doesn't like shopping and hates just wandering around shops so we usually cool off in the cafes, and you will need to take quite a few breaks.
There is lots to do and see in Singapore but don't overdo it, the heat and humidity can be really draining, make sure you drink lots of water.
Enjoy your trip.

:cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.