Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
KL V Singapore
19 Posts
Hmmm- would probably still try KL if I went to Langkawi and/or Penang. Even just for 2 days. I love Bangkok even more than Singapore by the way Jackie!
  • Edited by Fiona 2006-01-13 21:55:26
Suprised by Jackies comments. I have always found the KL people to be friendly and genuine...even going out of there way to help you. I've always found KL shopping to be very good. Admittedly its not a city you would spend more than two or three days in in terms of attractions (unless you use it as a base to go to places like Malacca etc). The hotels I have stayed at have been excellent. I've always been happy with it as the city element of holidays to Malaysia.
(I decided to split these posts from the Langkawi post)
Hi,
I was also surprised by comments about KL, i have been there twice,and loved it.
Also been to Bangkok twice,and singapore twice.
I prefered KL to Singapore,and for me the shopping is alot better in KL.It depends what you really want,yes Singapore has got loads of designer shops,but you can get these in most major cities. Kl has really good shopping malls,and the shoe shops are fantastic, the food is so much cheaper as well.
Bangkok is just so differant,much more of a culture shock,but just a brilliant amazing place.
I would hop on a plane and go to any of these places again,love them all,but first its off to Hongkong,and im sure it'll be just as good.
Have fun
suzy :lol:
the good thing is- everyone is different! Would like to experience KL but of HK, BKK or Singapore mentioned here it is Bangkok then not sure which I prefer. Am going to HK in April for the second time so will have a better idea after that!
I only posted my opinion on the two cities, obviously everyone has different views, when I say the shopping is better I am going on my experiences of trying to buy Nike trainers (the real thing) wasn't looking for a bargain, I ended up paying the same as in England but after walking around every shopping Mall in the Bukit Bintang area found only one shop that sold what we wanted (Bata). Could not find any decent sports shops. Most of the shops are the same as Singapore anyway but not with so much choice. Could not find anything like Callengers Computer store in Singapore. We only found decent shops when we went to Mid Valley Mega Mall which I agree is worth going to. When I mention about the people being genuine, most taxi drivers try and rip you off , one tried charging us what the radio was tuned into.

The train system is nothing like the MRT. it doesnt stop anywhere so you have to go by taxi which takes forever in the traffic. If you want fakes etc, yes I agree KL is better but for quality things I would shop in Singapore. Just my opinion.
have to agree that shopping for the real thing in Singapore is great value. However, I do not like to spend a lot of my time shopping. I have had enough after a couple of hours! So that wouldn't be a major criteria when deciding which to choose.
So KL fans- what are the "must sees and dos" in KL?
I have to agree with the comment about taxi drivers, I have been to KL many times and I always get ripped off at least once a visit they do give an other wise friendly city a bad name.

The light rail system that opened in KL last year has helped getting around the city 100%.

I found KL alot better than Singapore when bargaining for electronic goods. Whilst in Singapore a couple of years ago I decided to buy a video camera so I trawled orchard street and picked out 5 or 6 shops to try and each time the price we bargained changed into a much more expensive price when the time to had over the cash came this happened multiple times so was not an isolated incident (I have never experienced this problem when bargaining in KL)

If you want computers in KL there is the 5th level of Sungia Wang Plaza or there is a relatively new big shopping mall behind it that has about 5 floors of computers (I saved £300 of the price of a laptop last year)

The main thing I don't like about Singapore is the humidity which I find unbearable.

But I think they are both very interesting and safe cities that deserve a visit.
I can certainly agree about the humidity Rick!
I have had one incident with taxi drivers in KL...driver would not take us to Carcosa Seri Negara...however a local saw what was happening came over said he was ashamed of his fellow KL citizen and arranged another taxi for us...so this guy turned around a moderatly unpleasant incident into one that left me feeling a high regard for the people of KL. All the other taxi rides I have taken have been fine and extremly reasonably priced.

If you find Singapore humid you'll find the same with KL, if not more so.

I too prefer shopping in KL to that in Singapore...there are plenty of malls..we preferred Suria KLCC right by the Petronas Towers...excellent Isetan department store there. The Sungei Wang Plaza that Rickt mentions is a fun place to shop as well. A visit to Chinatown (Petaling St) for the night market, and the central market is also worthwhile.

I managed to save over a thousand pounds on the price of a IT training course in KL (paid for the holiday) and it was the proper official course.

Don't get me wrong I like Singapore as well (having lived there for three years) and would be quite happy to go to either place.
but what do you recommend to do in KL apart from shopping? We have spent a total of 8 days in Singapore but only a day and a half serious shopping( I mean by that - we did go to Little India and Chinatown but I count that as sight seeing rather than shopping, if you know what I mean!)
In KL itself obviously the Petronas Towers are a draw along with park by it. You can only go up to the skybridge approx halfway up but you get an insight into the creation of what is a quite spendid building.

Jackie mentioned the revolving restaurant. we found this was worth a couple of visits - once to view the cityscape of KL during the day, the other to have a meal in the evening to view the city at night.

There are various government buildings that you will see on a half day city trip, the padang the railway station.

Carcosa Seri Negara the old British Governors house now a hotel can be visited for an afternoon tea to gain a feel for old colonial Malaya. The friendly concierge might let you have a look in the rooms used by the Queen and Nelson Mandela.

The Batu Caves just outside the city, a sacred hindu site is a tough but worthwhile climb in the heat, a huge staircase leads up to the cave.

A visit to the Royal selangor pewter works is quite interestin as well.

As with any capital, there are museums and art galleries to visit as well, zoos and aquarium.

Its worth having a look at
http://www.virtualmalaysia.com
Thanks Sunbear
I always like to get people's views - you can follow guidebooks and sometimes be disappointed. We found that in Singapore for instance. Reading the guide book we had, the Malay Heritage Centre looked a great place. It took us quite a while to get there and we walked out 5 mins later!
Kl
Hi
Someone asked about things to do in KL,
well apart from the already mentioned,menara tower,petronas towers and the batu caves, we also went to the bird and butterfly park.
It's a really nice place to wander round,and there was also a baby orangutan there when we visited.
We also went to FRIM,which is the forest area just outside KL. you can hike through the jungle,and go on a canopy walk[very scary
!!!] ,but great fun.
suzy :lol:
fiona,
if you ever go to kl, & wish to go up,the pertronas towers,to the skybridge halfway up,you have to go & get a free ticket.they only give so many out each day.
we didn't know this & arrived about midday.all the tickets,had already gone.we were just leaving,when 2 young australians,gave us 2 tickets.so 2 of us,got to go up & 2 didn't.
the tickets have a time on them,if you miss this time slot,you are not allowed up.
i wish we had known,we needed a ticket beforehand,so we couldv'e arrived earlier,so all 4 of us,couldv'e experienced it.we were only there,for 1 night,so couldn't return,the next day.i hate missing out,on things like that.
hope this helps
tracy
thanks Suzi and Tracy
I have never heard about the tickets before now. A great tip for everyone thinking of going to KL
When I went up the Petronias Towers last October I got to the ticket office at about 9.15am and was given a ticket for a 10.45ascent. Spent the next hour or so in the huge shopping mall then returned to the lift area where I showed my ticket and was given a coloured ID card to hang around my neck , I then waited in a theater where a continuous movie was playing depicting the building of the towers. You are called to the lift a few minutes before your ascent time and you have to go through security(like boarding an aircraft). I think we were allowed about 10minutes at the bridge on the 42nd floor between the towers. There is a small gift shop after you leave the lift at the bottom. A very interesting morning and all free.
I much prefer KL to Singapore, I think Singapore is much too sanitised, it has lost a lot of it's old character since it has been cleaned up, athough a walk down Clarks Quay would appeal to me right now, or a fish head curry in Little India. I'm fed up with winter and it's only January

I'm fed up with winter and it's only January

:lol: I know how you feel! Thanks for the info Judith- good for people to know.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.