UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Skegness?
19 Posts
hi,

You can use AA rout planner, this gives you an option of travelling without using the motorways and should give you a route as such

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp

Judith
hi bizzilady not sure on the route from high wycombe (im lazy and just rely on the old sat nav these days) but good old skeggy is fun when do you go and what are you up to when your there?
best route would guess is come up the A1
then you have 2 choices
A16 stamford / spalding A52 boston to skegness
(150 plus miles easily)
or come up the A1 to newark then head for lincoln on the A46 then A158 to skegness
(200 miles)

easy to avoid motorways ..there isnt any :lol:
as posted though ..use the route planner
Whilst in Skegness, you may like to check out Fantasy Island, just up the road. It is a theme park type place with a shopping/market area. Well worth a visit.
Please bare in mind anyone visiting Skegness and Fantasy Island. The 'Eye On The Sky' giant Big Wheel at Fantasy Island is no longer there. It was removed at the beginning of the season. But the Fantasy Island Website has not been updated to reflect this.

The Outdoor Market is now open daily.
Please be careful when wandering around the market though, as it does get very busy and pick pockets do operate. Keep an eye on little ones.

Also, do NOT get involved with the guys who are selling what appear to be expensive electrical items from the open side of a lorry with a large sort of canopy. They are Hustlers and WILL rip you off. Do not stand to watch and do NOT under any circumstances buy anything. You will know the stalls I mean. Also try to avoid buying CD's and DVD's from the young lads. Try to avoid these if you can. Or ask for the cd or dvd disc you would like to purchase to be demonstrated to you. If it is a genuine disc then you will be able to see / hear it for yourself. If they refuse, well that is when your alarm bells should start ringing. Just make sure the disc you hear or watch is the disc they place in the cover and sell to you.

These are in the main mostly very poor pirate copies that the kids 'burn' (I think that is the term they use these days, it was 'record' in my day) on their pc's and some discs are actually completely blank. If you are on holiday and have travelled a long way, or if you take them back afterwards they will deny having sold it to you. You do not of course get a receipt so you have no proof of purchase.

So please excercise caution. I'm not saying do not buy. The stalls that are set up are ok in the main, its the young lads selling CD's & DVD's from what appear to be table tops on the outskirts of the market. What you see is not usually what you get. Try to avoid buying from these lads if you can.

That said there are some good bargains to be had. Bedding products, ie pillows and sheets etc, and fleecy 'throws' are very good value. But do not forget there are two other markets in Skegness. One a little further down in Ingoldmells Village...Eastgate Market. This is more of a giant open air jumble sale, akin to a Car Boot Sale but some good bargains to be had and the other is in Skegggy itself, just off of Chip Pan Alley. That is the road that leads from the Hildreds Centre down to the Taxi Rank opposite the Station. Its only a small market but some good stalls there.
Hi there
I agree with the others regarding the market at Fantasy Island. It gets really packed. Try and go early before all the crowds get there, you can get round so much easier, and yes, keep an eye on your bags, purses and wallets. I always take my "round the waist" bag things, and keep it at the front of me, not the side or back. If I wear a jacket or cardigan I will sometimes do it up at the front covering the bag and undo the cardi/jacket when I want to go into my bag. I find I feel safer.

Regards
Dawnie-Rob
Whilst you`re in Skegness, it would be a good idea to have a ride to Boston on the Wednesday for Market day, there`s a market on Saturday, but Wednesday`s is a bit bigger. And if you like churches, Boston Stump is quite beautiful, and well worth seeing.
Another tip if you buy the local "Standard" paper they are usually vouchers for Fantaasy Island buy £18 tokens get £18 free.

Yes be careful on the market you wont see hardly and DVD/CD traders anymore as there were big police raids the other year, most of the brand name clothes, sunglasses and trainers are fake.
you wont see hardly and DVD/CD traders anymore

Sorry, that is not quite true. Whilst it is true there were several Police Raids, these youngsters do still operate. I live five minutes walk away from Fantasy Island and often take a walk round if I have an hour or two spare, and they are still selling these 'pirated' discs. Although I admit, maybe there might not be as many 'stalls' as there used to be, they are still there.
There are hardly and CD/DVD sellers compared to what it used to be like a few years back when every other stall was selling them.
There are hardly and CD/DVD sellers compared to what it used to be like a few years back when every other stall was selling them.

As I said, they are still operating though not in quite so many numbers. That is why I posted an advisory warning. I walk the market daily.

BHIC wrote:
Although I admit, maybe there might not be as many 'stalls' as there used to be, they are still there
Briar HT Mod wrote:
I can confirm that BHIC is correct and there are still several operating, most of them do it on the Sea Lane though on pasting tables etc, they soon scarper when they see the Police approaching there are also some selling other fake items too, on the market itself.

Thank you Briar. I knew I was not seeing things :roll: . These 'kids' are still operating and I just wanted to make visitors to my Village aware of that fact.
And I do not like to see people 'ripped off' and I can vouch that the CD's and DVD's that they sell are mostly pirated copies, some good, some not so good and some down right poor fakes, and some are simply blank.

Yes, they do tend to 'scarper' when the Police are around but unfortunately the Police are not in evidence all the time. So please just use common sense.
Hay hang on folks i never said there wasnt any sellers just there are hardly any compared to what there used to be it was rife on the market , the management has clamped down on sellers on the market after the big raids a few years ago and rightly so.

*Edit to remove personal ref's
We are thinking of going to Skegness May half term for a short break and was wondering if anyone could reccomend any good guest houses etc?

We are a family of three and my little boy will be 5 when we go.

Also any suggestions as to what there is to do in the area especially at night would be great.

Michelle
http://www.southwold-hotel.co.uk is FANTASTIC. Although mainly bed and breakfast, the people who run it will provide evening meals for not much more than B&B price. It does have family room. 'Residents Lounge' is like the lounge in a family home.
Thanks for that Cate :D

Michelle
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.