UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi joolz ... you don't say where in Scotland she is travelling from, but if you use the Journey Planner at Traveline Scotland it will work out the various public transport options for her specific dates.

If she is going to drive down, you could use the AA Route Planner instead.

David :wave
Thanks David. She would like to fly from Glasgow to save time.
Don't think we have an Airport in Skegness :hmmm If we do, I must have missed it somewhere :roll:

Sorry, just jesting. I think the nearest Airports to Skegness are Humberside and East Midlands. Its very easy to get to Skeggy from Humberside, assuming you can get a flight from Glasgow into Humberside that is. And Skegness is about an hour away from the Airport 'as the crow flies' via the A16
Hi heres a link to Humberside airport, take a look to see whats on offer for when you're thinking of travelling.
http://www.humberside-airport.co.uk

As others stated Nottingham (East Mids) isnt far away either.

I wouldve still thought easiest travel avoiding flights would be by train down the East coast mainline.

Leaving GLASGOW QUEEN STREET , change EDINBURGH WAVERLEY, change WAKEFIELD WESTGATE, change GRANTHAM, arriving SKEGNESS.

I used http://www.gner.co.uk to plan this journey online, have a try with the dates you have in mind.
Thanks very much everyone for help and suggestions.
You beat me Llyodies

the easiest is the train from Scotland might not be as exciting as the plane but connections are easier and you don't need taxi's between airport and train station
or worse Nottingham to Skeggie

in this case it's best to let the train take the strain
Lloydies wrote:
Leaving GLASGOW QUEEN STREET , change EDINBURGH WAVERLEY, change WAKEFIELD WESTGATE, change GRANTHAM, arriving SKEGNESS

The only trouble with travelling via train would be that last part of the journey: GRANTHAM to SKEGNESS, especially during the hight of the main summer season. The service from Grantham to Skegness is often made up of two cars (sorry can't spell carragies) at the most, and these tend to be crammed full of tourists. Talk about cattle trucks!! You mignt end up standing the entire journey from Grantham to Skegness standing up in the luggage section. Believe me, I have had the pleasure myself....NEVER again.

WHY Central Trains cannot add more cars to this service during the busy Holiday season is a total mystery to me.
BenidormHereICome said
The only trouble with travelling via train would be that last part of the journey: GRANTHAM to SKEGNESS, especially during the hight of the main summer season. The service from Grantham to Skegness is often made up of two cars (sorry can't spell carragies) at the most, and these tend to be crammed full of tourists. Talk about cattle trucks!! You mignt end up standing the entire journey from Grantham to Skegness standing up in the luggage section. Believe me, I have had the pleasure myself....NEVER again.

Ah BUT they've now got NEW trains and they are bigger and very posh
madcaravanner wrote:
Ah BUT they've now got NEW trains and they are bigger and very posh

Well its about time, I must say.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.